Honda Talon Forum banner

NEW AIR INTAKE SETUP PICS

32K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  Merkywaters24 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Clean install, did you retain the factory air filter? Do you have any pictures of the installation process? In addition, did you do any water mitigation -- dialectic grease? I want to make my 1000X a bit more water resistant and also add a snorkel and am intrested in any suggestions you may have. I am located in North Fort Myers Fl and we do have a lot of water and mud this time of year.

#3 ·
Yes the oem air filter is still in place, I bought the SYA warrior snorkel riser kit and installed it per the instructions until I got to the part where it says to clamp on the 3 inch riser and instead I clamped on a 3 inch Spectre air filter. I still have the riser and all the hose that came with the kit. The kit is to make the Talon submersible in deep water but I have no use for that as I live in the Desert. Where I live dust is the enemy not water. I have about 400 miles on this air filter set up and I just checked my main filter and it looked really good so I reinstalled it just like it was so I will be able to see just how far I can go before I will need to replace the $48 Honda filter, and from what I am seeing so far it looks like I will be able to go about a year on the Honda filter and then I will just pop in a new one. I purchased 2 of the Spectre 3 inch filters so I can always have a clean one ready to go. I wash the pre filter every 3 rides. For your application you may want to just buy the SYA Warrior Riser Snorkel kit and Install it as is. Make sure you order the one for the Honda Talon. The kit will come with every thing you need Except a 3 1/4 (83mm) hole saw which you can get at Home Depot. There is a panel that you remove located under the right rear fender to do the snorkel install. https://www.snorkelyouratv.com/prod...-snorkel-kit-for-honda-talon-1000x-1000r-2019

#4 ·
Hi Idiot, (no disrespect) I did order the SYA warrior snorkel kit for the Talon and have the Passenger side fender and panel below fender cover removed getting ready for the install. Glad you mentioned the size of the hole saw, I will check tonight, and if I do not have one I will pick one up. I do not have the instructions -- do you have to remove the riser that comes out of the factory filter box? I still have it in place for now. Your modification with the addition of and extra filter looks like it would work just fine. I will pick up a filter or two for locations that are not mud bogs/water all over. I do not plan to go in deep water but it is difficult to tell in muddy water unless you are following someone. If there are no exit tracks and the grass is not disturbed best to drive around or walk through first, just watch out for snakes and gators o_O

#18 ·
All I did was purchase the SYA Warrior Riser kit for the Honda Talon and install it per the directions, but when you get to the part where you are suppose to clamp on the riser just leave the riser off and clamp on a 3 inch air filter of your choice. I went with the Spectre air filter i found on Amazon. So you will need to buy the Riser kit from SYA Warrior Risers, 1) 3 1/4 inch or 83mm hole saw from Home Depot or what ever Hardware store you use, 1) 3 inch Air filter but i bought 2 air filters so i can always have a clean one ready to go. Have not had any power loss that i can notice, but you will want to clean the pre filter every 2-3 rides

#22 ·
BTW, The kit will completely eliminate the OEM Intake resonator and will clamp directly to your air box. The stock intake is located inside the right rear fender well and lives in a extremely dusty environment all the time even if your riding alone because the right rear tire is sending dust up into that fender well and the air intake is sucking it in. If you notice mine is breathing in a much cleaner environment. Once done it will be the easiest thing to service on your Talon.

#32 ·
How is the intake noise with this setup? Does the passenger get a loud intake noise?

For now, I've added the 3" angled UNI filter inside the box and will run that until either I stick with that method or find a suitable alternative that isn't $400+ dollars, doesn't increase noise much/at all, is effective.

#33 ·
I'd say that it would have to be louder than stock but have no actual experience since I installed this before I ever rode the machine. Leaving the stock resonator in place would likely dampen some of the increased intake noise, I chose to remove it. I have a rear windshield and always wear a helmet and foam earplugs when I ride so my experience wont be the same as those with a different setup.

#34 ·
Makes sense. I do like the simplicity of this configuration and low cost compared to the particle separators. I agree that earplugs is a good call because in stock form, the engine is pretty loud as-is and after even a half day riding, the ears have taken some punishment.

#35 ·
I can tell you from personal, first hand experience, it is loud as hell. Mine lasted one ride, ripped it off, threw it in the trash and mounted an S&B on the roof so I didn't have to listen to it. Best thing I have done to my Talon so far. Air filter has over 1000 miles and is still in brand new condition. I honestly believe I will get 10K miles out of my filter.

#36 ·
Good feedback and endorsement of the S&B. What I found particularly disappointing with the S&B is the kit needs the over priced Honda switch panel and another Honda accessory wire to work increasing the $400 by several hundred more. I haven't studied it enough to know if these can be foregone, but I suspect that might be the case. This leaves the KWT V2 which is not released and I'm not sure of it's performance yet but it's definitely a simpler install.

#41 ·
I don't even have the Honda unit (it wasn't out yet and I couldn't wait any longer in this Utah dust). I purchased the Can-Am version (it had 2" mounting clamps and a longer hose) and wired it directly to the battery with accessory triggering the relay just like any other model. Added another relay so it only comes on AFTER the engine is started. Simple and extremely effective. The S&B is an active system that simply works. Yes, it requires about 3-4 amps but the technology has been around for years and is well documented to work as advertised.

The best thing about the S&B is that I know I will only need to look at the air filter every 1200 miles when I change the oil. Those hex head screws are "fragile" and I don't like removing/installing them all the time. I have already had to replace a couple of them. Now that I know how good the S&B works, the filter inspection is minimal.

As far as the KWT, if you want something passive, just use a pre-filter, Donaldson separator or a plain snorkel. Simply getting the intake out of the fender will decrease the amount of dirt passed through the filter by probably 50-75%. That alone will save you many filter changes and is a whole lot cheaper than the KWT.

#39 ·
Not sure amps on S&B but yes u could eliminate rocker and just fire a relay and grab power from bus wires.

IMO - separate fuse/rocker/relay for each accessory and use the Honda key on circuit to shut it all off.

I keep everything separate, probably overkill but just the way I’ve always wired accessories up.

I was floored with the Honda cost ?

#40 ·
Yep, a lot of way to wire up accessories, but a relay, bus, inline fuse is a solid approach. A dual battery setup is not a bad way to go too, but that's another discussion. I think for now, I'll keep with the UNI pre filter and just see how things go. With all the current events, I'm not keen on spending more than I already have. Unless of course, big discounts start showing up.

#42 ·
The Can-Am versions sounds great and I appreciate your POV on the passive system. I am using the UNI clamped to the tube inside the filter box and ordered a second to rotate them out. Agree the hex bolts in the filter box are delicate so hand removal/installation is advised. I'll keep an eye out for the Can-Am S&B kit or other similar applications in case something comes up deal wise, but for now, the UNI will help. I have a new backup Honda filter ready if needed, but like you living in UT, I wanted to get ahead of the dirt and ordered and installed the UNI right after the Talon purchase having read up on the forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.