Honda Talon Forum banner

New 2021 X4 LV Concerns

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lonewulf70 
#1 ·
Hello all. We ordered a tricked out 2021 X4 LV a few months ago and are due to pick it up the end of May. During this time I’ve been doing excessive research on the Talon and am a little concerned with a few things. I’ve read and seen videos on many people having issues with the sub transmission right from the start and many with less than 100 miles on the machine. Is this a common thing or a random one? If I shell out over over 30k ( machine plus accessories) I expect to have a quality machine!!! We went with the Honda because of its reliability reputation. Secondly, I’ve heard and read that Honda is not wanting to cover the sub transmission issues with its warranty. So that’s not very reassuring. We are having 32” M1 Evils installed on it at the dealer and not of sure if that will void warranty or not. Can’t get a straight answer from anyone......the other small issues with the Talon I can deal with myself, like the air cleaner issue. ... I really want this machine, and I guess all new machines will have issues. ...We have a 2017 Yamaha Viking 3 and have never had an issue with it. I guess that is what I am expecting from Honda. Thank for any info or opinions you can share.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
There have been tens of thousands of Talons sold the the sub trans has been an issue on a few machines. 99.9% will not have a problem but when it happens, it is devastating and expensive to fix if Honda won't cover it.

It is a combination of the shift cable out of adjustment, not letting the machine warm up before shifting into low and the shift gate not having enough "throw". Here is a thread about the issue...

Awesome! Thanks

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Another thing I forgot to mention is the oil. Some of us have changed to the Honda HP4M 10W-30 with Moly in the Sub-Trans. The moly makes the shifting into low range and reverse super smooth, even when the machine is cold (down to about 40 degrees).

WARNING: Do NOT use oils containing Moly in the engine, it will fry your clutches. Only use it in the Sub-Transmission.
I’ve heard that some guys are putting a small amount of Lucas oil treatment in the sub transmission and it’s smoothing the shifts out tremendously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.