Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. and thanks for all the information available to all. i've been devouring it. the desert and mountains around here are as awesome on four wheels as on 4 legs! and a lot more horsepower for sure!

the machine has been trouble-free so far. at the 100 mile service i switched out the stock wheels/tires for these in the pictures: 4 wheels pro armor 15 x7 with BFG Mud-Terrain T/A Baja 32x10.00 R15 NHS tires. i have them at 10 psi right now. i'll post this question on wheels and tires, but this change has resulted in the front end width being about 2" wider than the rear. it seems to handle just fine, but should it have spacers to equalize that width? any benefit/worry as to parts wear as well as performance either way? thanks for any thoughts, i'm a total novice in the sxs world. i'm driving to wy tonight for christmas so will be offline for a couple of days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, thanks for the reply. i can't say vs. first 100 mi as i'm riding washes, some rocks and trails...25mph at this point mostly max except on roads.. i think so far this setup feels smoother on sand/wash (tho that's a relative feeling, it's all bumpy!), the rear seems to slide easier in the tight washes, etc. but deals with everything real well. i read all the posts about gear shift issues, etc., and inititally (in some really bad stuff i shouldn't have been early alone this soon), i've realized what i've read was correct. first, high gear with the power this thing has is mostly always enough. and, while i've always been a manual guy, i only use the paddle upshift occasionally and almost never the downshift...the auto trans is almost always ok right up or down unless you want to upshift earlier on level terrain in normal mode. the most important msg received: never shift hi to lo or vice versa unless you are dead stopped. grind gears otherwise and you're dead $$$$$$$$$$. most important read i've read.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Howdy Lazy Eye, I am riding in Arizona also. Just an hour or so down hwy 60 in Brenda Arizona. I am also new to the Talon world and this is only my 3rd year of side by side riding. I am also running 32x10-15 on my 2021 1000R. I am running 10 psi in the rear tires and 8.5 in the front tires. I lost two front tires riding in northwest Arkansas because of the rocks. Sidewall punctures got them. I haven't noticed any significant los of power or speed. I have definitely noticed a much better riding. I will be returning to Brenda Arizona in the first week of January. Hopefully we can get together.
Bedrock Rock Geological phenomenon Soil Geology

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi razorback,
just arrived wy. we'll be back az first wk of jan also. would like to connect for a ride, tho not sure when i'll get title/plate for the talon or its trailer. merry christmas and a safe, healthy and better 2021.
looks like you're all tricked out already. i've got a mirror and the wheels/tires so far. is that a superatv flip windshield? like it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi razorback,
just arrived wy. we'll be back az first wk of jan also. would like to connect for a ride, tho not sure when i'll get title/plate for the talon or its trailer. merry christmas and a safe, healthy and better 2021.
looks like you're all tricked out already. i've got a mirror and the wheels/tires so far. is that a superatv flip windshield? like it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is a fold up windshield, got it at the Honda dealership. I like it because I can open and close it on the fly. I was planning on getting a fold down windshield in the beginning. But I am glad that I have this one. Works well for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice ride! As far as your first question, I like my tires to run in the same track, it is less squirrely in soft surfaces. I'm running 5x2x15 with 1.5" spacers and it runs in the same tracks and looks better. If you ever follow someone not running spacers and running square wheels you'll see what I mean. Have fun, these things are a riot!

·
Registered
2020 talon r
51 Posts
I'm trying to decide what tires also. I'm in Surprise , Az. , so all types of surfaces. Rock in the mountains , hard pack and sand in the lower areas. The more I read the less I know what to buy. Also what size ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been back here in Brenda Arizona for a few weeks. Have lost track of time. Will be heading back to Arkansas in less than a month. We are running 32x10-15 all the way around. Love the traction and the stability. Definitely going to get another set when these guys are done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
welcome back. i just looked and found brenda, az. funny, i figured it was part of greater phoenix. haven't been over that far west.
i agree totally about the tires and the ride. i put in 1.5" spacers on the rear to equalize the footprint.
i got the supeatv flip up and am very happy with it. also have installed a horn, mirrors, spare tire holder, lower door panels, luggage enclosure, license plate and an ipad, which i use mostly with gaiagps. still haven't decided on a winch choice...make or size.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your Talon is coming together nicely. I have been running a Garmin 610t GPS and it is working well for me. Although I definitely like the size of the screen and the graphics. We will be heading back to Arkansas on the 20th of March.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
welcome back. i just looked and found brenda, az. funny, i figured it was part of greater phoenix. haven't been over that far west.
i agree totally about the tires and the ride. i put in 1.5" spacers on the rear to equalize the footprint.
i got the supeatv flip up and am very happy with it. also have installed a horn, mirrors, spare tire holder, lower door panels, luggage enclosure, license plate and an ipad, which i use mostly with gaiagps. still haven't decided on a winch choice...make or size.
View attachment 2043 View attachment 2044
View attachment 2045
hey, i don't know if this is a "pm" or not, but woudn't mind to say hi...probably just that, not towing rig for now. dumb to this, not sure how to 'pm'. duh...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you go to Brenda AZ? We have a 2021 talon 4 seater. We're looking for good places to camp and ride. In the cooler areas. We're just south of Wickenburg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Howdy Neufam, yes we do. My wife and I stay at Black Rock RV Village. We are normally there from mid October to mid April. We have been at Black Rock for about 4 seasons and enjoy the park. My wife plays cards and I ride my side by side. It works out great for us. There are a lot of other parks in the area to look at. I have friends that I ride with from 3 other parks in the area. Hopefully we will see you out on the trails.
v/r John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts