Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I Changed all my fluids in my 2019 Talon R. Made sure all levels were good. Took it up hunting last November. First day taking it out. Drove it half the day and drove amazing. Kind of bogged the gears a little while going downhill or flat road to get noise down while hunting. Went down a trail in low with some deep-water holes, and out of know where it stalled on me at the end of the trail. Then started right back up and tried driving up the flat road and noticed it was revving high and not shifting out of first gear even when I put it in manual mode or hit the paddle. Just shows 1 or high/low. Didn't go far and stalls out putting it into neutral coast and only light that came on was clutch temp light when stalls out but doesn't stay back on when start it back up till it stalls out again. Kept on doing it so I had to get towed back to camp for the first time ever. Next day tested it just down the street and back and it drove good, so I thought maybe I got water in a sensor or overheated clutches from bogging gears. I dielectric greased all the connectors I could get to (don't think I got the shift solenoids from having to remove a lot to unplug). Months later took it out riding for first time since hunting, I warmed it up and started driving it like I normally do. About a mile or so in (15 minutes or so) it stalled out on me when I stopped to put it in 4 wheel to go through some snow. Started right back up. It went to 4 perfectly, then tried going down the road again and noticed it was doing it again. Did it to me 4 to 5 times trying to limp it back to the trailer (Luckly downhill). There was a good number of puddles I splashed threw again on this trail but did not bog any gears just ran it in high letting it run the way it should. It is now at 2,210 miles and 182 hours. It is all stock, all motor (non turbo), on 32in tires since 500 miles pretty much. What do you guys think could be wrong? Anyone else experience this? Have not been able to find any other problems like this when I search. Thanks again for any help. All trails are really far away from me so not able to test easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here, just aquired 19' talon r and have same issue. Only have 31"s, exhaust, and big gun power box. Romp on it hard clutch temp light, pgi light come on and it dies. Turn key off, back on and it fires right back up and no lights. Have searched forum after forum and done every suggestion and fix i can find, still no luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree, sounds like it could be a sensor/wiring connector issue. Hopefully someone else on here can comment on the clutch temp light you guys are getting.

But Treesboarder, I am picking up it may have been stored over the winter? You might start by making sure your fuel is not contaminated and that, if ethanol fuel, it has not gummed up or corroded something in the fuel system.

(I used to own a 440 Dodge half ton truck too!)

Good luck. Let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Worked on it all this week to try and get ready for the long weekend. Found another issue! While beating the snot out of it trying to climb some nasty greasy hills, it’s acts like it kicks the clutch in giving it just enough time to hit the rev limiter then let’s the clutch back out. Essentially a 9000 rpm neutral drop! It don’t care what range it’s in either

·
Registered
368 Posts
have to ask, battery is good (have it tested) and connections at battery are very tight?

ive diagnosed multiple machines where it was just loose battery connections with not the same but similar issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, ive been through the grounds, battery, terminals, etc etc. Long story but, sub trans was supposedly rebuilt by a guy in tennesee. Landon something, he saw machine as a buddy was bringing it home for me (from tennesee) and told the story of how it was a stolen recovery. Cops showed up just as he was taking it on a test rip to impound it. Thats shortly before i aquired it. Im beginning to wonder if it was done correctly.
Im a heavy diesel tech with 30yrs under my belt btw, so diagnostics are nothing new to me, is just difficult when its something youve never worked on before😤

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry took longer to replay. Ended up posting on Facebook and had couple people say check electronic shift motor. Pulled mine apart and the armature was black and the brushes were only touching on a corner so I bought a new electronic shift motor and problem went away. Running amazing now! Going to put new brushes in and clean the armature so I have a spair if it happens again. Thanks everyone for the help. You guys rock

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not completely sure. Almost like the computer is smart enough to read that the shift motor isn't shifting so it stalls it self out. I did add and clean some grounds as well before replacing shift motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.