Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the southwest. In the cool months, we ride both high and low desert. This is a mixed bag of sand, hardpack, softpack, and rocky trails. I love sand but am not a "duner" per se. Actually, large dune complexes like Glamis are rare, but many areas have smaller dunes where the sand blows up onto rocky outcrops. In the hot months we retreat to high altitude, where there is a mix of rocky trails (some outright rock crawling) and hardpack, but little sand. No big time mud at any of these locations.

Stock Tires/Rims- I didn't run these for long, just one long weekend in the low desert (Ocotillo Wells SVRA). I started out at 12 psi, but they felt squishy on the high speed hardpack turns. Sand was ok, but not remarkable. I increased pressure to 14 psi, and strangely both sand performance and hardpack improved. I could live with them if I had to, but I just don't trust the 6-ply carcass.

BFG Mud-Terrain KM3/Method 410 Rims- Great everywhere (!), except deep sand. I ran them at 12 psi, but really rocky will probably run 14 psi to not risk rim damage. These will be my summer tires for the mountains, because they have a fairly dense tread pattern to keep the rocks from getting through to the 8-ply carcass. Tire size 30X10-15" and rims 15X7" with 5+2" offset.

Terra Master/Method 410 Rims- I went to these because of the poor sand performance of the KM3's. Mounted them side A out, for soft to intermediate conditions, and 12 psi Went out yesterday to Rasor Road BLM Open Area, which has some medium dunes and plenty of sand everywhere, and a pure fun mile long canyon lined up each side with big sandy S-turns. There were a couple rock crawling traverses as well. They are superb in the sand because the tread blocks on side A act like little sand paddles! Not much hardpack to evaluate, but they did do ok out on the harder main roads. These will be my winter desert tires. Mounted side B out, I could see them as a summer mountain tire, but prefer a more dense tread pattern for rock protection (although I have seen them on machines running King of the Hammers). They are a 10-ply DOT tire. Tire size 30X10-15" and rims 15X7" with 5+2" offset.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I watched King of Hammers live today. Where possible, I paid particular attention to what tires everyone was running. Quite a wide variety! No doubt, some run a particular brand/model because they get free tires and $ from a sponsor.

Seems to be a trend toward larger tires, even up to 35".

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the KM3's and 1.5" wheel spacers in the rear, my width comes in at 65.5" front and rear. I went with 5+2 offset (just like stock front rims), because having the brakes and hub tucked inside the wheel is their protection against rock damage!

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the Terra Masters, I ended up turning the front tires side B out for better cornering on hardpack. Rear is still side A out, for better traction in the soft stuff, particularly sand. I hadn't previously run much on hardpack to make a descent evaluation. But, behind my house there is currently a lot of powerline construction traffic (huge heavy trucks), and it has packed the roads solid. These are twisty windy mountain roads, so a great way to evaluate a tire's steering. With side A out, steering was sketchy enough that I felt it presented a safety issue.

The KM3's, are superb on hardpack.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We are in the southwest. In the cool months, we ride both high and low desert. This is a mixed bag of sand, hardpack, softpack, and rocky trails. I love sand but am not a "duner" per se. Actually, large dune complexes like Glamis are rare, but many areas have smaller dunes where the sand blows up onto rocky outcrops. In the hot months we retreat to high altitude, where there is a mix of rocky trails (some outright rock crawling) and hardpack, but little sand. No big time mud at any of these locations.

Stock Tires/Rims- I didn't run these for long, just one long weekend in the low desert (Ocotillo Wells SVRA). I started out at 12 psi, but they felt squishy on the high speed hardpack turns. Sand was ok, but not remarkable. I increased pressure to 14 psi, and strangely both sand performance and hardpack improved. I could live with them if I had to, but I just don't trust the 6-ply carcass.

BFG Mud-Terrain KM3/Method 410 Rims- Great everywhere (!), except deep sand. I ran them at 12 psi, but really rocky will probably run 14 psi to not risk rim damage. These will be my summer tires for the mountains, because they have a fairly dense tread pattern to keep the rocks from getting through to the 8-ply carcass. Tire size 30X10-15" and rims 15X7" with 5+2" offset.

Terra Master/Method 410 Rims- I went to these because of the poor sand performance of the KM3's. Mounted them side A out, for soft to intermediate conditions, and 12 psi Went out yesterday to Rasor Road BLM Open Area, which has some medium dunes and plenty of sand everywhere, and a pure fun mile long canyon lined up each side with big sandy S-turns. There were a couple rock crawling traverses as well. They are superb in the sand because the tread blocks on side A act like little sand paddles! Not much hardpack to evaluate, but they did do ok out on the harder main roads. These will be my winter desert tires. Mounted side B out, I could see them as a summer mountain tire, but prefer a more dense tread pattern for rock protection (although I have seen them on machines running King of the Hammers). They are a 10-ply DOT tire. Tire size 30X10-15" and rims 15X7" with 5+2" offset.
On the BFG KM3’s, 32x10 15 on System 3 bead locks 5+2 Offset. I was surprised by your experience. I ran them in Glamis with 6 psi in the back 5 psi in the front, they did great. I wonder if your pressure was too high for the sand? In my experience anything over 10 psi doesn’t give a very good ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.