Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, brand new talon. First run was thanksgiving. For a week. I’m a little bothered it was recommended I replace the air filter. Buddy says it’s got a dirt spot in center of it and he recommends I do it. Says it’s quite dark dirty, not light dirty. My bitch? It’s a huge filter! It's about 50 bucks!
Background- it’s at the dealer for first service. I bought it from this dealer. The service manager who I bought it from is a friend of over 35 years. So yeah, there is total honesty in our discussions with each other.
Why do I bitch? Because the weather was rain all week! There was minimal dust even out there do to the raining!
My issue? It’s obvious the air intake channels that intake to only a 4” circular pattern of the filter. And it’s a huge filter! Poor design on Hondas behalf. My other rides filters look fine and they were behind me the whole time as I’m the leader in my group.
Hmmm.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, incredibly poor design. I think they benchmarked a 2008 RZR for dirt ingestion. It's hard to believe Honda could do something so stupid.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agreed, and no well designed, esthetically tolerable fix that I’ve found yet. My filter looked like this after about 270 miles, with one day of those miles in damp snowy conditions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was thinking that we could install the "Frog Skins" mesh panel screens over the right hand triangular intake vent panel like the ones posted and noticed on the air intake vent on the Can Am located right above the "Can Am" wording on the vehicle. This seems to stop a lot of the larger particles from ever entering the air intake system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was thinking that we could install the "Frog Skins" mesh panel screens over the right hand triangular intake vent panel like the ones posted and noticed on the air intake vent on the Can Am located right above the "Can Am" wording on the vehicle. This seems to stop a lot of the larger particles from ever entering the air intake system. View attachment 374 View attachment 375 View attachment 376
Any way to affix some cheap nylons in an easily accessible area on the factory intake (as a pre- filter)? I'll be looking into this myself as, I'm not going to shell out the $400+ for a particle separator, nor do I wish to chop a 3 inch hole through the new X. If there's a way I can zip tie a sock over a tube on the intake I'll find it and post pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any way to affix some cheap nylons in an easily accessible area on the factory intake (as a pre- filter)? I'll be looking into this myself as, I'm not going to shell out the $400+ for a particle separator, nor do I wish to chop a 3 inch hole through the new X. If there's a way I can zip tie a sock over a tube on the intake I'll find it and post pictures.
Going to try a UNI 3", 15 degree filter intake box.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
One weekend in Southern Utah and the air filter was coated a 1/2" thick and large pieces of dirt in the cleanout tube. I now have a 31/2" K&N conical pre-filter and for those of you (like me) that think I could be restricting air flow I added a vacuum gauge ported between the 2 filters and mounted it by the dash. So far wide open top end no notable movement on the gauge with a new factory filter installed.
IMG_1062.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s what I am hoping to find out. I have a spare cleanable pre filter, if and when I see a flow restriction. I just couldn’t bring myself to cutting a hole in the body for a snorkel yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, brand new talon. First run was thanksgiving. For a week. I’m a little bothered it was recommended I replace the air filter. Buddy says it’s got a dirt spot in center of it and he recommends I do it. Says it’s quite dark dirty, not light dirty. My bitch? It’s a huge filter! It's about 50 bucks!
Background- it’s at the dealer for first service. I bought it from this dealer. The service manager who I bought it from is a friend of over 35 years. So yeah, there is total honesty in our discussions with each other.
Why do I bitch? Because the weather was rain all week! There was minimal dust even out there do to the raining!
My issue? It’s obvious the air intake channels that intake to only a 4” circular pattern of the filter. And it’s a huge filter! Poor design on Hondas behalf. My other rides filters look fine and they were behind me the whole time as I’m the leader in my group.
Hmmm.....
Honda particle separator will fix problem easy to install western honda motorsports

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not thrilled about dropping another $500 on a big monstrosity mounted between our ears with a loud whirring fan sucking in air and spitting out dirt all over everything in the cargo area! Somebody in the aftermarket...or Honda, needs to come up with a nice clean, well thought out and aesthetically non-offensive intake modification! I’m actually amazed that Honda sent this design into production after all the hours of testing they had to have done! Surely they recognized this as an issue within plenty of time to correct it preproduction. They designed and installed a fake intake grill on both sides of the machine... did it never occur to any of the designers to use one, or both grills as a logical place to draw intake air? Unless the bean counters got all giddy thinking about all the unsuspecting enthusiasts that will be forced to drop $50 every few hundred miles buying their overly complicated air filters. My other thought is if your mounting that giant partial separator up in relatively clean air, why do you need an overly complicated and noisy electric fan? Why not just an open scoop drawing in clean air And sell it for $49.99? Unless your Racing on a super dusty race course or following in a very dusty trail situation for days why would you need this system? Sorry for the rant, but come on Honda...really... you know these are dirt machines right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not thrilled about dropping another $500 on a big monstrosity mounted between our ears with a loud whirring fan sucking in air and spitting out dirt all over everything in the cargo area! Somebody in the aftermarket...or Honda, needs to come up with a nice clean, well thought out and aesthetically non-offensive intake modification! I’m actually amazed that Honda sent this design into production after all the hours of testing they had to have done! Surely they recognized this as an issue within plenty of time to correct it preproduction. They designed and installed a nonfunctioning intake grill on both sides of the machine... did it never occur to any of the designers to use one, or both grills as a logical place to draw intake air? Unless the bean counters got all giddy thinking about all the unsuspecting enthusiasts that will be forced to drop $50 every few hundred miles buying their overly complicated air filters. My other thought is if your mounting that giant particle separator up in relatively clean air, why do you need an overly complicated and noisy electric fan? Why not just an open scoop drawing in clean air And sell it for $49.99? Unless your racing on a super dusty race course or following in a very dusty trail situation for days why would you need this system? Sorry for the rant, but come on Honda...really... you know these are dirt machines right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts