Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are looking to plan a back country trip. I'm looking for anyone that has some knowledge of the western Montana and northern Idaho area. We have a cabin in the little belt mountains outside of Lewistown and we are looking at making a trip from there to Priest River Idaho using forest roads. If need be we can do some pavement but prefer not to. Any input would be appreciated. If you are familiar with any section of this area please let me know and we will see what we can piece together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you decide to go lower, there are some great rides along the border at and near the LEMHI pass, also an amazing ride near stanley, there is an old dredge and some amazing camping spots, lots of animals

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We may go over that way and then go north up thru Idaho. Looking at options. We saw a video of some guys that went from southern Idaho to just south of Spokane.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There used to be a trail system over Lolo Pass going from Lewiston, Idaho over to Missoula, Montana. 25-30 years ago there was even a company that led organized trail rides thru the area that lasted a couple of days. This was back in the days of three wheelers and two wheel drive only 4 wheelers that were the vehicle of choice. Always wanted to do that trip, but never did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any resources that may have a map of the trail? That is kind of what I thought I would get is just a few bits and pieces of trails to put together the trip. You are more than welcome to come along on part or all of the trip. At this point it is just in the planning stages. We just purchased a talon 4 seater and got it rigged out. We also have a Maverick trail that we are debating about bringing just for backup/security, not sure yet. We have a hard time finding people that will take off and ride when and where we do.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would check with the Forest Service for a district map that would show all the trails and roads in that area. As I recall, the route they took was all on Forest Service type roads. I bet you could actually order those National Forest section maps online from the Forest Service. And part of the route was supposed to be on or near some part of the trail the Nez Pearce Indians took when trying to get away from Gen Howard and his troops in 1877 which makes it even more interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts