Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the AJK Offroad large packout plate and was wondering if anyone with them installed has thought of how to build a "false floor" that pops onto the plate when the plate is empty, to cover up the holes and make the floor kinda smooth again. I found packout cleats on Amazon that I could attach to a piece of plywood or maybe Starboard (HDPE, material like plastic cutting boards) and pop them in when not carrying anything on the plate. My plate hasn't arrived but i will probably see if this is an option (or even required) after I install it and if it is I will post what I come up with. If anyone else has done anything like this please share!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the AJK. I have never taken my stuff out and prob never will. But I know they have this as an accessory that clips in. But i think it would only take up 2 of the three slots.

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got my packouts mounted this weekend but had to remove my SuperATV tailgate (as expected). With our spare tire mount the packouts must slide out the back so an opening tailgate is now in my future, any suggestions as I start my search? I have an email out to AJK to see if their swinging gate will interfere or not, hoping it mounts high enough to not but not sure yet.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Plant

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After spending some time measuring and exchanging emails with someone at AJK it seems that their swinging tailgate will fit, though it will be close. I have one on order, should be here next week if all goes well. Once i get it installed, if I have good news I'll post more pics :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have it amd most tailgates work if you take silver handle off of Milwaukee pack large boxes three coolers fit no problem with out modifying. Large packouts with silver hamdles on sides are slightly larger and need one silver handle removed to work(only one phillps screw and handle slides out

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Interesting, the tailgate that was on our 2020 000X when we bought it (SuperATV maybe?) definitely did NOT fit with any Packouts taller than a few inches. Good to know about the aluminum handles, my AJK swinging tailgate is on the UPS truck today for delivery. Not sure I'll be able to get it installed today (working tonight) but I will post pics when I do!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Made it out to the shop today and got the tailgate installed. It was fairly tricky to get all aligned (no installation instructions) but i got it to all line up and fit perfectly WITH a full load of Packouts on the large AJK packout tray. Really like the look of the larger diameter tubing, looks like a better fit than the small tubing on the one we had before. Will have to see how it acts out on a ride but can't find any reason to be concerned, time to get it dirty!

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

There is plenty of clearance with the gate open however it does get hung up on the plastic above the right tail light so it won't open all the way, but it's enough to get the Packouts in and out so no worries there.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts