Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looking at their site it doesn’t look like they make one for the Talon yet, unless the Pioneer version works on the Talon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wrote Throttle Maxx and asked if they had a model for the Talon. They immediately replied saying they’re working on one and it should be out early next year. I asked them to hurry!! ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
never noticed any issue under power but coming down the steep snowy rd I didn't like the way it shifted to 1st gear when I let off the throttle. In low range that is almost crawling, next time I'll put it in high range so 1st gear isn't so slow/low.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Anyone have issues when driving at speeds between 8-20mph; not very smooth at speeds between 8-15; tried going to low, but too high for low and its was much more jumpy. I went to paddle shifters but still had some jumping back and forth in that range, any insight on how to make it a little more smooth.
In low speeds are over 50mph!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My main concern is under deceleration going downhill with the tranny downshifting in MT mode. I was led to believe by all the YouTube video reviews that when in MT mode the tranny would stay in whatever gear you selected. That is not true when going downhill or under harder deceleration which I'm not crazy about. My Elec Shift 2006 Honda Foreman stays in whatever gear I select. My Talon should do the same in MT!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The transmission always automatically downshift as you slow down to keep it in a gear that will prevent from hurting the transmission.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I wrote Throttle Maxx and asked if they had a model for the Talon. They immediately replied saying they’re working on one and it should be out early next year. I asked them to hurry!! ?
If you replace the tendor springs (upper springs) from Bandit it will devinately improve the throttle. Funny but the smoother ride does remove a lot of the jerking motion with your foot on the accelorator and wow what improvement in the ride as well. No spring compressor required took me about an two hours do do the job. The Bandit springs fix the problem without replacing both springs just the ones that are in coil bind expecially on the 1000x. Best $200.00 fix I have found.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a Honda talon 1000x4 fox live model and it jerks and jumps bAd. My wife was like is it supposed to do that. The problem is the gas pedal is so high off the floorboard your foot slides right off causing a jerk when try to get the acceleration back. Had to put my leg on center console and try to get my heel down any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Hi Pdevine, the petal is sensitive. Try pinning your heal to the floor and gently applying pressure. Some have used a small plate on the floor, It was much smoother when I replaced the upper springs. It takes a bit of getting used to but with practice you can overcome that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also made a heel rest and that helped a TON. I also have the bandit tender springs and front shocks set on the middle (2) position on my X. Between that stuff and adding 32" tires it is a LOT smoother. We ride extremely rough east coast trails so 10ish on the trails is doing good so I never leave low range in the woods. With the 32's the gearing pretty darn good. I mostly hit the manual shift a bit sooner then the auto does because I want lower RPM to help get traction on the rough stuff.

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
35 Posts
I just got my Talon not long ago and was a bit concerned about this issue. But I haven’t had any serious problems. I am used to driving high HP drag cars and we get the same thing when you put a new driver in one and they stab the throttle. It jerks their body and they react by lurching forward a bit which totally upsets the car and starts an oscillation effect. Learning to be smooth with a responsive throttle takes some practice. I have looked at the Throttle Maxx solution and it looks like it should solve the problem for a lot of people. We use that approach in a drag car with a upright seating position. Being as upright as you are in the Talon doesn’t help. Also, I can see this issue being exacerbated with the stock seat belts. A full harness will hold your body more stable and lessen you movement in the seat which will make being smooth with the throttle much harder.

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
35 Posts
I have tried to reach out to Throttle Maxx both by their contact form and email with no response. Looking at their web site the founder passed, and the Facebook page doesn’t seem to have any recent activity. Might not be much hope for a Talon application. However, if I don’t hear from them, this device doesn’t look all that complicated to make. I just might look around the scrap metal pile and see what I can come up with. I will admit that with the upright seating position of the Talon, and the seat not going far enough back to get a good angle with your foot on the throttle petal, the angle of your foot and leg is a bit obtuse. A device like this could in effect provide a couple of advantages. Effectively lengthening the over all petal, slowing down the lever action, and changing the foot angle to be more comfortable and less prone to input from body motion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I disagree. Belt drive and direct drive DCT SXS's are different types of machines. Belt drives MUST have a delay and smoothing in their throttle due to there design, the belt itself causes a delay and less responsive throttle. Just because belt driven sxs's are less responsive does not mean all other types of sxs's should be that way. If you smooth the throttle on a DCT machine you are eliminating one of the main positives you get from having that transmission.

DCT's do not need to limit power and smooth throttle inputs on landing after jumps or in mud or anywhere else because you have no fear of snapping or smoking a belt. If people don't like the "connected" direct-drive feel of the talon they shouldn't buy one and instead go buy a rubberband powered sxs. Anybody who has driven a MANUAL transmission on any machine with a clutch knows that the way the Talon feels is normal for that type of drivetrain.
. Anybody who has driven a MANUAL transmission on any machine with a clutch knows that the way the Talon feels is normal for that type of drivetrain.

Kids these days grow up driving Automatic Tranis and most can not even drive a standard trans. put someone in a standard and they look at you as it they climbed in the cockpit of a jet fighter,,, always for a good laugh. I grew up on a 3 on the column standard transmission,,,Dad said if you can drive this you can drive anything LOL I taught my daughter the same way standard trani,,, no power brakes,,no power steering and she can drive anything and does.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts