Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out this past weekend riding along in my normal H all day (literally have only put it in L for about 3 times for some short period) and doing just fine. Guy I was riding with was in a RZR turbo and mentioned he had been in L all day, never in high. This led to a little bit of confusion on my part. I always thought L was for rough spots and more rock crawling type of riding (we were running trails in the woods, not super rocky). Am I wrong or is he. If I am not running over 25mph on trails, should I be in L or should I only use L when necessary?

·
Registered
73 Posts
You both are essentially right! :) On a Polaris you typically will be in low when you are trail riding. Or at least that is what is recommended on that machine. On your Talon with it having a transmission, I only shift into low when I am on a really technical climb. If you have 32-in tires you will most likely choose low more often to keep it in a better RPM range for you. Just make sure you're not lugging the talon too much in high and low RPMs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You both are essentially right! :) On a Polaris you typically will be in low when you are trail riding. Or at least that is what is recommended on that machine. On your Talon with it having a transmission, I only shift into low when I am on a really technical climb. If you have 32-in tires you will most likely choose low more often to keep it in a better RPM range for you. Just make sure you're not lugging the talon too much in high and low RPMs.
Funny, just read on a RZR forum your exact statement, they need to run in low more for the belt.

I have my 32s on order patiently (not really) awaiting their arrival.

Can you define - technical climb?

Can you define - not lugging the talon too much in high and low RPMs

Thanks for the feedback, was not able to find anything online.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Yup one of my friends in an R Talon never shifts to high or 4WD unless he is stuck. Looks funny, he plows in and when he can't go any further shifts and out he comes. He also cracked the rear diff, wonder if that may be the problem? I like your idea of shifting into high just before you need it not after the fact.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Talon manual's answer to the low range question:

Low-range:
Used when driving forward in the following situations:
• When driving with heavy cargo (wish they defined this, the Talon is a sport machine and the cargo bay is only good for 300lbs.)
• When ascending steep hills (funny use to do this for descents too, to control the speed, back in the Jeeping days)
• When driving over large obstacles (I assume rock crawling)
• When driving at a constant low speed (5 mph [8 km/h] or below) (can these do 5mph with this throttle peddle?)

I do keep mine in 2WD virtually all the time until I see something tough or feel the rears slip, then I press it and puff, I am out. Don't think I will be riding a lot in Low Range.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
The Talon manual's answer to the low range question:

Low-range:
Used when driving forward in the following situations:
• When driving with heavy cargo (wish they defined this, the Talon is a sport machine and the cargo bay is only good for 300lbs.)
• When ascending steep hills (funny use to do this for descents too, to control the speed, back in the Jeeping days)
• When driving over large obstacles (I assume rock crawling)
• When driving at a constant low speed (5 mph [8 km/h] or below) (can these do 5mph with this throttle peddle?)

I do keep mine in 2WD virtually all the time until I see something tough or feel the rears slip, then I press it and puff, I am out. Don't think I will be riding a lot in Low Range.
Yup, sounds like you have it down pat! I have portals and still keep it in High for a lot of the time (25% IGR + 30% Portals) -- I do like climbing the rocks, when I can find them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Depends where you live perhaps?
For very tricky stuff I go to manual.
For normal riding in these parts (woods, some mud) I'm in low range, if you go fast enough to need high range you will soon be meeting a tree.
High range is limited to roads between riding areas.
2wd is the most fun for me, 4wd is what I use to get out of trouble and for the most technical stuff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too usually ride in 2WD, I also like the feel better for desert riding and I believe I get better mileage as well. One thing for sure is your fuel will suffer if you use low all the time, unless your going pretty slow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts