Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
When I had my IGR installed Reds off road just used one side of the after market shifter for high and low no problems he used feel -- suppose it is experience that helps. I suppose taking your time is important!

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Hey Paul are you on the site as manufactuet? Might help your business? No worries but we need new products for our Talons. How about a replacement for the cable or one from SuperATV.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am not a "manufacturer" or vendor. I have a normal, full time business not even related to the side by sides.

I engineered the part for my own use to fix a problem that Honda claims does not exist. I put it out there for those that are having the same problem that allegedly does not exist.

Paying to be a vendor to sell a couple $50 parts makes absolutely no sense for me. If someone wants one of my shifter gates to save their sub-transmission, all they have to do is PM me. I prefer the other Honda SxS site to this one but either works for me.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Ok why the negative comments? Gistapo -- think you listen to the news a bit to much. I only care if you have a good product. No worries.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Gestapo made the OP remove his video. Censorship reminiscent of 1940's Nazi Germany. That only happens on these Gestapo run VerticalScope forums. That is why I do not like this forum (or other VS run forums) and prefer to participate in privately run forums like The Honda Side by Side Club!

Nothing personal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No worries head back. Amazing how gutterial some get when they don't get their way! Oh well.
Well, that is the most polite way anyone has ever told me to Fuck Off. Since you are being so nice, I will certainly take your invite to bug out.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
There is an aluminum one available at CA Technologies. No worries just another possible solution and there are quite a few out there. Quick Saw Razing is another and again I think that is aluminum. No worries the more solutions the better IMO. Gives you plenty of options.

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000x4
25 Posts
I have the CA gate. I adjusted the cable 1/8" or so while i was there. Between the gate and adjustment. It does alot better going into low.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Thanks Bwire86 excellent feedback. I am very careful with the change from high to low and do pay attention. Like you it is much better than the original shift plate and a bit of time to make sure it is adjusted properly.

Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From my understanding the CA shift gate is not a good option. Unless they have modified it, if you lay it over the stock gate the CA gate has actually less throw in low than the stock gate does. My cousin has one on his and he is removing it. I am not saying there isn't a problem with the cable and adjustments. But a properly adjusted cable and the realization that this is not a normal vehicles subtransmission (so give it time) and you will not have a problem. The problem usually comes when the machine is in a bind and needs the cable to be able to push it in the low or when people are trying to shift through it too fast. I do hope that Honda comes up with a fix to the gate or cable but properly keeping it adjusted, which is a pain, will keep you from damaging your subtrains.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Call CA and discuss wilth them. Better to speak with the source and them make your informed diecision. No worries just saying. Mine is not giving me any problems at all and I have had it well before the IGR and Red's OffRoad adjusted it as I recall (with the installation of the IGR).

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Just one last item CA Technologies USA guarantees their products for life. Here is their definition:
"What does a "Lifetime Warranty" mean to you? To us it means for as long as you own the part we put our hard work and know how into, we bet you can't break it. And if you do, we'll replace it. No Questions Asked." Beats out plastic parts but does not compensate for transmission shift cable that is out of alignment or not working the way it should. Leaves room for someone to come up with a shift rod to replace the cable perhaps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
  1. Yes the shift plate from CA is top notch quality and will not break! What I am saying is the design is lacking actually has less throw in low than the stock gate does. And I do have first-hand experience with one because my cousin has it on his machine. We spent the last 7 days at Ride Royal Blue and he had problems (I dealt with fixing them) and shift cable adjustment had troubles fixing it because low does not have as long of a throw. take your stock gate and place your CA gate over the top of it and you will see what I am saying. Unless they have changed their original design. Once again you won't break their shift gate, you just may break your sub transmission.... So in closing I am not saying that the CA shift gate will not work I'm just saying it will pop in and out of your low selection worse than the stock one will.
  2. I actually really like CA products and think they are top notch. I am considering there other products they make! Great stuff! This is not a knock on there quality....

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I agree, I just ordered their rear end suspension parts -- love the warrantee. Front end is suspension is Super ATV. I think the problem with shifting is in two parts 1. people and 2. engineering. Would love to see a solid (metal not plastic) connection between the shifter and the transmission. Not rocket science, just a quality part that has minimum slack. With the likes of CA Technologies and Super ATV along with others I bet we have an engineering solution in less than a year. Now for the people part that may take a bit longer (LOL me included). We are lucky to have talented folks helping improve our Talons. Just me; I always try to stay positive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I engineered, tested and now sell a modified gate that helps with this problem on another forum and never had anyone complain. That forum is privately owned and not under the VerticalScope Gestapo like this one (I see censorship coming :cool:)

My design moves P,R,N,H gates forward 3mm and extends the Low area back 4mm for a total of 7mm additional throw for Low range. It also moves the Low gate back so it provides a positive engagement for Low. If the Low dogs are not engaged, you can't move the shift lever over into Low. If they are partially engaged, there is some preload that pushes them in the rest of the way when you start moving.

So far it has proven to work much better that the stock gate. Lets see how long this post lasts...

OEM Style...
View attachment 658

Semi-Quick Shift Style...
View attachment 656
Cooleo! Nicely done.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts