Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission will not stay in low range 1st gear , as soon as you give it gas a bang occurs and it’s not in gear any longer.
However,
if you constantly hold the shifter back, it will stay in gear

·
Registered
24 Posts
My transmission will not stay in low range 1st gear , as soon as you give it gas a bang occurs and it’s not in gear any longer.
However,
if you constantly hold the shifter back, it will stay in gear
This happened to mine after about 100 miles, so I took it to the dealer. Sounds like it's a delicate thing that officially is not warrantied as they basically assume it's user error, claiming that the teeth were rounded because I had shifted into gear when the vehicle was still moving. I 100% never had done that, but had the same situation as you did, that when in some wet, heavy snow it popped out of low gear then ground the teeth at that time.

Thankfully, even though they claimed it was caused by me, the dealer arranged with Honda to do the work under warranty. The Dealer said that the gear came with a different part number so he thought that maybe Honda learned their lesson and used one with longer teeth, but I didn't ask if they did any measuring.

There are a lot of threads about checking the shift cable, which the dealer did in my case and it was correct.

Also a lot of threads on using an aftermarket shift gate which extends the throw something like 7-8mm or so for getting into Low Gear. Many more experienced guys on here will be able to give perspective.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.