Honda Talon Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It may be that a longer shift leaver on the sub transmission would help. Make it a bit less sensitive to the position of the shifter. That coupled with a shift gate to handle the extra throw just might help. Something Honda or a third party could experiment with a bit. I am sure they would sell if it improved reliability. Hay SuperATV something to consider when all of the virus is dead

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just found this thread. My 70 mile old 2020 R has had 3 times that it didn't want to shift into low. I put in park, then high, then low again. It went in and ran fine. I'm guessing linkage adjustment is my problem. Did your problem start this same way? After my first 20 mile ride I decided to see where all my lubrication points were. My sub was 12 oz low. Barely touched the dip stick even when screwed in. Rear dif was a little low also. Excellent write up BDog. Hope I don't need to try your repair method. I do have a 1 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Just found this thread. My 70 mile old 2020 R has had 3 times that it didn't want to shift into low. I put in park, then high, then low again. It went in and ran fine. I'm guessing linkage adjustment is my problem. Did your problem start this same way? After my first 20 mile ride I decided to see where all my lubrication points were. My sub was 12 oz low. Barely touched the dip stick even when screwed in. Rear dif was a little low also. Excellent write up BDog. Hope I don't need to try your repair method. I do have a 1 year warranty.
No I have well over a 1000 miles on it and this occurred all at once. Check your shift adjustment and check fluids. You should be fine but I would make sure every time you shift you are stopped and at an idle. Hope you have no shift problems in the future.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would definitely check/adjust that shift cable. In the first couple hundred miles, the cable will experience it's most stretch and need it's most adjustment. After that you won't have to worry about it as much. When you slam it into low you can definitely feel when it slips right in and there's no bind on the transmission. If I throw mine into low and it feels like it is a little spring-loaded, then I go back to high or reverse and bump it before I slam it right back into low. Once I know low is engaged it doesn't get treated nicely anymore! 😜

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have been time limited and have not looked at the cable adjustment. I would like to find a reasonably price shop manual. Haven't even had time to look. This forum is way better than I originally thought. BlueDog and Hometeam, I have faith in you 2 from the different posts you've made in other areas. Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would definitely check/adjust that shift cable. In the first couple hundred miles, the cable will experience it's most stretch and need it's most adjustment. After that you won't have to worry about it as much. When you slam it into low you can definitely feel when it slips right in and there's no bind on the transmission. If I throw mine into low and it feels like it is a little spring-loaded, then I go back to high or reverse and bump it before I slam it right back into low. Once I know low is engaged it doesn't get treated nicely anymore! 😜
Last night I found a YouTube on how to adjust the cable. I also saw a couple more on modifying the shift gate. The gate seemed to be preventing full engagement sometimes. In the video, he removed a small amount of the channel to allow more travel. I hope to soon look at the adjustment and see if that could be my problem.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Adjustment is very fine = or - .01 inch. Takes a bit of fiddling and making sure it is centered in neutral.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Shucks, I now have reverse, park, neutral and low gear, just no High Gear ! I am going to run it as is after checking with COPS, just want to get back to running again and I do not use High much anyway, not required where I run. Ok, plan is to get this unit replaced in Feb. with the hardened/lower ratio gears in Low, that was the plan all along just taking a while to get the parts produced but COPS is working with two vendors and hopefully in Februarys I will receive the updated sub transmission.

COPS discovered that my sub transmission was off by one tooth as the paint markings were still visible on low gear. This is not the first unit COPS has found that way and yes it contributed to the premature failure. Trouble without pulling and inspection the sub transmission no way to tell if yours is that way or not. Honda, does not have a complete sub transmission for sale and durability may be the issue, I do hope they are working on an upgraded version for the future.

I am going to do a bit of rock crawling this coming weekend and will let everyone know if the works in low. For now at least the shift to all positions other than low is smooth with no problems and low gear is just like neutral -- no movement. Could be a simple fix but I am not going to pull the case for now I just want to run.

If the updated sub transmission arrives and works the way it should then all of the waiting and wrench turning will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Considering options at this point.
1. Replace with OEM parts
2. Have entire unit redone, add 28% reduction in low gear and 34% in reverse remain the same in Hi. Process would bulletproof the sub transmission and eliminate one of the largest problem areas for the Honda Talon.

That would be in addition to 25% IGR, 30% Portals. Would make for a super granny gear in low and still have the same Hi gear it does now.
Do you know anyone in AZ that you would recommend. My low end is gone and Honda is not Warrantying it

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Do you know anyone in AZ that you would recommend. My low end is gone and Honda is not Warrantying it
I am sorry to hear that Dan. I do not know anyone in AZ. You might call a few dealers and see if they will repair the unit if you take it out. It is quite a job but can be done and saves a bunch. With the unit out it should only take a couple of hours and of course the parts. Right now COPS is still trying to source the reduction gears and they are backed up months. I wish I could help more. Wish Honda would come up with a fix.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shucks, I now have reverse, park, neutral and low gear, just no High Gear ! I am going to run it as is after checking with COPS, just want to get back to running again and I do not use High much anyway, not required where I run. Ok, plan is to get this unit replaced in Feb. with the hardened/lower ratio gears in Low, that was the plan all along just taking a while to get the parts produced but COPS is working with two vendors and hopefully in Februarys I will receive the updated sub transmission.

COPS discovered that my sub transmission was off by one tooth as the paint markings were still visible on low gear. This is not the first unit COPS has found that way and yes it contributed to the premature failure. Trouble without pulling and inspection the sub transmission no way to tell if yours is that way or not. Honda, does not have a complete sub transmission for sale and durability may be the issue, I do hope they are working on an upgraded version for the future.

I am going to do a bit of rock crawling this coming weekend and will let everyone know if the works in low. For now at least the shift to all positions other than low is smooth with no problems and low gear is just like neutral -- no movement. Could be a simple fix but I am not going to pull the case for now I just want to run.

If the updated sub transmission arrives and works the way it should then all of the waiting and wrench turning will be worth the wait.
Did I miss your post on how your new parts and hard labor turned out?
I did wish you much luck. Just wondering if my wishing luck talents still work.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I have mine partially repaired sub-transmission back not working in high. Hoping to have the hardened gears and all fixed in Feb. Not holding my breath but hoping.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Update, this past weekend I ran hard and lots of rock climbing, no problem at all with low. COPs will fix high but I am still trying to wait until the gear reduction and hardening are available. Hope that is getting close, hardest part is waiting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s Feb now. Any update brother? I’ve got my sub trans dropped and ready to order parts...should I go back with OEM or wait for the COPS gears?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bluedog - You mentioned the sub-tranny was off by one tooth I believe, you think if this would have been assembled correctly you would not have so much grief and drama?
My friends have P1000’s and each have over 2000 miles on them with no issues so kinda wondering if all the sub-tranny failures are back to the incorrect indexing from the start?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Bluedog - You mentioned the sub-tranny was off by one tooth I believe, you think if this would have been assembled correctly you would not have so much grief and drama?
My friends have P1000’s and each have over 2000 miles on them with no issues so kinda wondering if all the sub-tranny failures are back to the incorrect indexing from the start?
I think that is a major concern and I am sure that would make for difficulties shifting from high to low and vice versa. It is indexed properly now but now way for me to test without high working. I will be glad when all functionality is restored. Like a moth to a flame I do like the idea of a reduction only in low gear. I hope COPs figures it out soon.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts