Honda Talon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
They charge $120 an hour locally I am sure they don't pay the mechanics that much. They wanted 14.5 hours to look at mine and would not work on just the sub transmission if I pulled it out avoiding much of their labor cost. The actual work on the sub transmission would only be about two hours plus the parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They charge $120 an hour locally I am sure they don't pay the mechanics that much. They wanted 14.5 hours to look at mine and would not work on just the sub transmission if I pulled it out avoiding much of their labor cost. The actual work on the sub transmission would only be about two hours plus the parts.
Did you get the Talon back together yes?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok I have a tracking number and it indicates it has shipped, I do not have an expected arrival date yet. Hope this works out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sub Transmission is due to arrive Tomorrow.
Following mine is being repaired under warranty but interested in the upgrade your doing for future use if needed. Can you buy just the parts from COP. While mine is being repaired by dealership they said if I could get the parts they would install While its apart

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
COP is having problems with upgraded gear sets and heat treating, hope they get it all resolved next year. I will give an update when the unit arrives.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My damages look identical to yours same location and angle. Dealership mechanic said himself that the OEM parts are to soft and needs heat treatment to make them harder

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
TXmuder, the damage is identical and it is amazing just how little the dog ear damage is. I agree with your mechanic, that is simply an engineering problem -- to start with only three dog ears to engage other designs use more ears to even the load, in addition, the parts do need heat treating. I would love to see Honda redesign to eliminate this problem. Having a sub transmission/shifter that requires constant attention is a pain in the … Thanks for the pictures. :)

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Of course UPS said the address was not correct but I will have to go to their facility to pick it up. I did and they are closed 12 to 5 PM -- go figure just another delay -- oh well I will return this afternoon. Funny the address is on the label and it is correct!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Of course UPS said the address was not correct but I will have to go to their facility to pick it up. I did and they are closed 12 to 5 PM -- go figure just another delay -- oh well I will return this afternoon. Funny the address is on the label and it is correct!
:oops::rolleyes: I called COPS today left message and call back number dealership told me today awaiting parts still but again if I am able to order parts from COPS they would install. And if not go ahead with OEM repair

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just got off phone from COPS, person told me they could sell me all parts needed including reverse all heat treated. He said he should be able to get back with me on cost and availability by tomorrow or Friday. My buggy is in shop and they will install at no charge I just have to buy the parts from COPS who said these will fix it permanently which is what we all want right

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
My sub transmission arrived. The good part is the vent tube was OK. Also Packing for UPS ground is important. Below is what I sent mine in.
Vent Tube.jpg Packing.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
My sub transmission arrived. The good part is the vent tube was OK. Also Packing for UPS ground is important. Below is what I sent mine in.
View attachment 1749 View attachment 1748
Did the shop by chance test the hardness on the bad gear engager versus a new engager from Honda?

Just asking is a batch problem on heat treat or a global problem of all machines have soft engagers?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hi 190PSU88, there is just the OEM that is not heat treated vs an upgraded version. COPS just returned a repaired sub transmission to me with OEM or near OEM parts. They are still trying to get the hardened gears and heat treating. When that occurs they will ship another one to me and I will install that and return the one I currently have. Honda did not heat treat the gears and that is the problem. Hope Honda fixes the problem. I understand a regional rep from Honda is engaged with COPS and very interested COPS is trying to get a machine shop that will provide the items.

·
Registered
191 Posts
thanks a bunch - hi - doesn’t make me feel good about my X.

Just like my old Johnson outboard - would pop out of gear and I’d pull the lower leg apart and weld up the forward reverse dog every other year or so and stone it square - lol.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts