Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our 2019 talon in late October 2019. From day one it grinded and hammered into and out of gears in low range. When I took it for the first service I told them specifically what was going on and told them I thought the linkage had a problem. All gears were fine and engaged except low gear. It had 300 miles at the time because they had told me to get at least 300 miles before the first service instead of 120 miles. They were supposed to fix it. However when I got it back home it was still doing the same thing. Well now it has 1,200 miles and we officially TRASHED the low gears on the last trail of the day on the mountain right as we were getting to the top! I put it in high, went a little ways down the road, stopped, shifted into low, hit the gas and we went no where and all I heard was clank clank bang bang, just sounded like gear teeth and broken pieces making a terrible noise! Its still under warranty til October, and most places are backed up and can't get parts. I'm just hoping they'll fix this factory design flaw free of charge! If not, I may put her in high gear and drive it right into their showroom! I'm pretty pissed at my dealership and honda right now!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. Got my Talon back. Honda did warranty the whole sub transmission repair. Here is what they replaced. I spoke with the Honda mechanic who worked on my Talon. He explained what they did and why they did it. He said its a pretty common problem on the Talon's. He said its also a problem on the Honda Pioneer 1000's but not as bad as the Talons. He said Honda has KNOWN about this issue for some time and they had hoped Honda would address and fix the problem but as far as he knew, Honda had NO PLANS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM! He said the teeth don't engage properly or fully on these transmissions. He said you must wait several seconds before shifting into gears and make sure you are not moving forward or backward. If the shaft is still spinning and it contacts the gears there goes your teeth and fork. He even told me he owns a pioneer 1000 and the same thing happened to his. He also said the forks are often bent which magnifies the problem and causes major damage. He said if you grind it one time, you've got a problem because you just sheared part of the gear teeth down or off. So there are not second chances. Once it grinds the first time, you've got pieces of metal broken teeth and shavings in your tranny. My warranty just ran out. I asked if it would happen again and how much it would cost me. He said there was a very good chance it would happen again and it would be $1,000 to repair it. I asked if cutting out the shift gate would help fix the problem. He said they couldn't do it as a Honda dealer but yes it probably would help get it into gear better, but he then said it won't fix the problem because the real problem is in the sub tranny which has a known internal flaw in the sub tranny which is a design flaw from the factory. He closed by stating that the Talons have a serious problem that needs to be addressed and fixed. He said Honda knows it and the dealers know it, but the dealers don't have any power to do anything except fix it for you if its under warranty. Draw your own conclusions, but my conclusion is that I wish I had dropped my 20 grand on a Kawasaki KRX, Yamaha RMAX 1000 (which wasn't out when I bought the talon) or a Polaris General. Honda will take care of you if you are under warranty, but if this happens to me again, I'll have to pay out of pocket since my warranty is out. Just imagine all the people who are not on this forum or any forum that have had their rigs for 15 months, 18 months, 2 years and have this same problem! They're paying!

2019 Honda SXS10S2XK Talon 1000X

Odometer 1,284

Description: Parking Collar

Resolution: Passed

Part# 08C35-GN4-BULK 1 Genuine Honda M/C Oil
94109-14000 1 Washer Drain Plug 14MM

Description: Low Gear Not Functioning

Part # 23751-HL4-000 1 - Shifter, Low Reverse
23691-HL6-A00 1 - Gear (25T)
23650-HL4-000 1 - Gear
24215-HL4-000 1 - Fork, Sub-Gearshift
21205-HL4-003 1 - Gasket
21206-HL6-A01 1 - Gasket
94109-14000 1 - Washer Drain Plug 14MM
08C35-GN4-Bulk 2 - Genuine Honda M/C Oil

Description: Rebuilt Sub Tranny

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
167 Posts
We bought our 2019 talon in late October 2019. From day one it grinded and hammered into and out of gears in low range. When I took it for the first service I told them specifically what was going on and told them I thought the linkage had a problem. All gears were fine and engaged except low gear. It had 300 miles at the time because they had told me to get at least 300 miles before the first service instead of 120 miles. They were supposed to fix it. However when I got it back home it was still doing the same thing. Well now it has 1,200 miles and we officially TRASHED the low gears on the last trail of the day on the mountain right as we were getting to the top! I put it in high, went a little ways down the road, stopped, shifted into low, hit the gas and we went no where and all I heard was clank clank bang bang, just sounded like gear teeth and broken pieces making a terrible noise! Its still under warranty til October, and most places are backed up and can't get parts. I'm just hoping they'll fix this factory design flaw free of charge! If not, I may put her in high gear and drive it right into their showroom! I'm pretty pissed at my dealership and honda right now!
Honda has a definite problem that needs a recall, along with the axle differential seal. They need to come up with a fix for both !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is no synchronization between high and low range, making it hit or miss when trying to shift. If L does not show on the indicator you will grind away every time. Move (rock) the machine a bit and try again. Hardly satisfactory, but required. I only use L (4-wheel) when loading on my aluminum tilt trailer (very slippery when wet). My dealer also sells other brands and claims that other geared SXS have the same issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no synchronization between high and low range, making it hit or miss when trying to shift. If L does not show on the indicator you will grind away every time. Move (rock) the machine a bit and try again. Hardly satisfactory, but required. I only use L (4-wheel) when loading on my aluminum tilt trailer (very slippery when wet). My dealer also sells other brands and claims that other geared SXS have the same issue.
I am not even sure low gear is necessary on these machines. Manual mode in high range 1st gear is pretty darn low and slow. With this not being a CVT, it boggles my mind a bit as to why it even has a low range. I have never noticed much if any difference in high and low range when going slow and climbing rough terrain. There have been a few times I forgot to go into low range and never noticed any difference on the trails. And to be honest, most of the time if I get on anything rough I just put it in manual mode so I can control the speed and RPM of the machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda has a definite problem that needs a recall, along with the axle differential seal. They need to come up with a fix for both !!
124 miles on my 2019 talon wife and I saved to get.. bought second hand with 75 miles on it. Now at 125 low gear is gone.. really hope honda takes care of it.. if not will be fixed and sold.. my machine is showroom condition. Crazy if they wont stand behind it when everyone knows there's a problem..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pilotom from San Diego, I keep my Talon 2020 4sx, in Baja Mexico, yes parts and service difficult, so I went to Yuma, they installed new wheels and tires, 30x10x15, looks better, but I also had a Rugged Radio System installed and seems we are having difficulty with engine noise feed back? not happy, Dealer says some engine noise is normal and I am not happy. It was their first Talon install Rugged Radio. I will try and get another dealer see if they can fix it. I am finding that lots of research needs to be done, changing and Dealers seem to still be learning. I bought 5 new wheels with Honda standard offset, 6-1 and put 1.5 inch spacers on rear. Happy with Tires and Wheels, the Rugged Radio is still in Question hopefully it can be fixed by an experienced installer w Honda Talon , PCI radio is said to make a better but takes up two storage spaces?
If money allows, I would do research, and when you buy it new, have the dealer make all the changes you need when you buy it..Scheduling service and Parts not easy to schedule. I bought a Lawrance PCI GPS and it is so far my best purchase. I just bought a horn, maybe should have had turn signals also. Full front and Rear windshield, good but nice to have more air flow with a vented window. I bought Simpson 3 inch shoulder harness.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I am not even sure low gear is necessary on these machines. Manual mode in high range 1st gear is pretty darn low and slow. With this not being a CVT, it boggles my mind a bit as to why it even has a low range. I have never noticed much if any difference in high and low range when going slow and climbing rough terrain. There have been a few times I forgot to go into low range and never noticed any difference on the trails. And to be honest, most of the time if I get on anything rough I just put it in manual mode so I can control the speed and RPM of the machine.
Not so if you want to run in the mud or rock crawl, I have two gear reductions one internal and also 4 inch portals. I am running without high until COPs comes up with heat treated sub-transmission gears and an additional reduction in low and reverse only. That gives super granny gears in low and retains high as it is now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pilotom from San Diego, I keep my Talon 2020 4sx, in Baja Mexico, yes parts and service difficult, so I went to Yuma, they installed new wheels and tires, 30x10x15, looks better, but I also had a Rugged Radio System installed and seems we are having difficulty with engine noise feed back? not happy, Dealer says some engine noise is normal and I am not happy. It was their first Talon install Rugged Radio. I will try and get another dealer see if they can fix it. I am finding that lots of research needs to be done, changing and Dealers seem to still be learning. I bought 5 new wheels with Honda standard offset, 6-1 and put 1.5 inch spacers on rear. Happy with Tires and Wheels, the Rugged Radio is still in Question hopefully it can be fixed by an experienced installer w Honda Talon , PCI radio is said to make a better but takes up two storage spaces?
If money allows, I would do research, and when you buy it new, have the dealer make all the changes you need when you buy it..Scheduling service and Parts not easy to schedule. I bought a Lawrance PCI GPS and it is so far my best purchase. I just bought a horn, maybe should have had turn signals also. Full front and Rear windshield, good but nice to have more air flow with a vented window. I bought Simpson 3 inch shoulder harness.
Any radio is noisy if installed wrong, especially on newer, high energy ignition units like a Talon. Mine was horrible when i first installed but after some "adjusting" My Rugged Radio is quiet. .

Some suggestions...
  1. Make sure the antenna is as far forward as possible on the car. If mounted towards the rear, it will cause all kinds of interference and may even cause the engine to die when the mic is keyed. This is a known problem. Mine is in mounted in the middle of a metal roof.
  2. Install the inline power filter that RR sells, it eliminates any alternator noise.
  3. Power the radio and intercom from a 2nd battery if you have one.
  4. Make sure the antenna cable is installed as far as possible from the other cables and shorten it if possible. Extra antenna cable is problematic. My headphone cables run down, through the tunnel them up to the back and my antenna cable runs over, then up the A Pillar then to the antenna.
  5. Make sure your antenna is properly grounded. Run a separate 12 gauge ground wire if necessary, especially if mounted on a plastic roof.
  6. For best transmission and antenna tuning, use a ground plane. Either mount a 24" X 24" aluminum sheet under the plastic roof or use a metal roof like I did.
  7. The short 1/4 wave antenna (about 14" tall) REQUIRES an ground plane in spite of what RR says. It is impossible to use a 1/4 wave antenna without a ground plane. The 1/2 wave (about 32" tall) does not require a ground plane but performs better when used with one.
  8. Have your antenna tuned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a ICOM 2300H 144 mhz radio installed inside in the middle of the roof. TRAM 10250 144 mhz - 174 mhz tunable antenna cut to the proper length, installed on the flag mount on the rear roll bar. Coaxial cable (10') run on the roll bar to the radio. Nothing special done with the installation. No noise or other issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts