Honda Talon Forum banner

Looking to buy a 1000X this fall. One question first.

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Roger M 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Ill be trading in my 2019 Terex4 LE this fall to go back to a 2 seater and for something with more sport and less utility this time.
The Talon X is at the top of my list, but I'm curious about some of the issues I've been reading about that are prevalent with the talons. Like the u joints coming apart on the propeller shafts and the low gear engagement issues on the sub transmission.
Are these issues still happening on the 2021's often? Has Honda seemed to have addressed the issues yet? Or do you guys/gals think they may be addressed for 2022?
Thanks to anyone for their thoughts and or experience.

#2 ·
I dont thing the U joints was a prevalent failure although it apparently did happen a couple times. The low range issue seems to be caused by a misadjusted shifter cable. Everyone with a machine like this should know how to adjust a cable and realize when it needs to be done. if i were leary of buying one it would be because of the horrible placement of the air intake. Otherwise, i really like my Talon X4LV and it has been very solid for the first 1000 miles.

#5 ·
I have the 2019 X as well ,only issues Ive had is the front (driver side) leaking seal. Went through 3 of them, all under warranty. Even went as far as having the entire front diff replaced and it still leaked. Relaced the seal again, this time I did it myself, 300 miles later and so far no leak. Go figure! Im a solo rider for the most part unless you cant my K9 passenger...No worries when on the trail far from the truck.

#6 ·
I have a 19 and I’ve never had a seal go bad, or a u joint come apart. I did have a clicking sound in the rear driveshaft. I replaced them with heavy duty axles, and the noise went away. The air intake is a big joke. The Jackson turbo air intake system is just as bad, if not worse. I also took care of that by installing a Donaldson cartridge filter system up high above the bed, and behind the passenger seat headrest.

#7 ·
I have a 2020 and I have had other machines as well. I can tell you the Talon is built better than the others. I changed a couple of things, the biggest was a uni filter located outside of the air box inside the bed area as a pre-filter. I go thru some dusty conditions and have gone about 600+ miles before even considering changing the main air filter since doing that. Front seal on drivers side leaked once...nothing major. I have friends and family that have RZRs and turbo Can Am. The attention to detail, body panels, roll cage/frame, seats, etc are still way better than the others. Can Am definitely has the power, but the dependability and comfort is what Honda has over the rest. There is no end all, be all..but Honda did a pretty good job on this one. Nothing is perfect.

#9 ·
I have over 4700 hard fun miles on my 2019 1000R. The only issue I have experienced (at 4661 miles) was a u-joint ejecting a clip allowing a cap to work out. It turns out this is a common problem with all brands using these u-joints. It was a cheap and easy fix to install a couple greaseable u-joints and tack weld the caps to the yokes.

btw, the air filter that is so commonly whined about is also a common issue on RZRs and Can Ams. It is certainly not unique to the Talon. That's why particle separators are so popular. Afterall, these are off-road vehicles.

#NoBrokenBelts

#10 ·
Thanks for the insight fellas.
This seems to be what I've always heard regarding the talons, lots of people putting tons of trouble free miles on theirs, and some people all with the same issues. (Air filter, u joints, sub trans linkage, and diff seals.
These aren't a deal breaker for me at all, every machine will have its issues. And the talons issues are easily dealt with. I'm probably going to call a couple local dealers today and see what lead times are looking like right now.
I just can't believe Honda hasn't addressed some of these in the last couple years, such small things to fix. And if they did it would be a nearly perfect machine really.

#11 ·
I purchased the 2021 X2 LV over a year ago with no issues other than when you switch to Low gear be sure the " L" appears on the dash before getting on the gas this means the gears have engaged and you will hear no disturbing transmission noises. Hope this helps, I think you will be happy with the ride.

#12 ·
I went from a 17 teryx4 le to a 2020 talon 1000x and never looked back! Love the talon! I have around 1700 pretty hard miles on it. Ive had all the issues
-200miles - cap on u joint
-300 miles - had to replace air filter and added uni prefilter. No issues now.
-700ish miles front dif seal leak.

All of them are super simple fixes. I wldnt choose any other machine over my talon! Ever buggy has issues but it ultimately depends on which machine you feel comfortable in. You could read and read and read some more but all that does is give you a headache!! I have 0 regrets buying a talon!

#14 ·
I have 2 and both have some sort of filtered intake setup and the filters last thousands of miles. My unit with the S&B Particle Separator has 3000+ miles on the filter and it looks new. The other I just bought and it had a pre-filter installed and after 500 miles in dusty conditions, it too looks brand new.

Sub-Trans gave me the dreaded "Bang" in Low when it was cold once. I am now careful, warm up a little before I use Low, adjusted the cable, changed to 10/40 Molly (in the sub-trans only) and watch my shifting and have never had a problem since.

Never had a seal leak that seems to be an issue with a lot of machines.

One of my rear axles is starting to make a little noise when cold but I haven't even looked at that yet.

Both machines have spun u-joint caps and I caught them both before they completely failed. One at 3,500 miles and the other at 16,000 miles. I replace the joints and spot welded all 16 cups in both machines. There have been multiple reports of caps coming off at less than 500 miles. Buddy of mine had me check his at 1,000 miles and according to the paint marks, at least one cup had started to spin so we spot welded his too. More info on drive shaft issues and tests with lots of pics and info here...

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, everyone seems to be in agreement, the most common problems are easily avoidable/ fixable. I can deal with that for sure.

I called my Honda dealer today to see how long the wait would be to get an X in. He said dont bother trying to order a '21 he has one more in route and its spoken for, he said he won't see another '21.
He did think he would have info on the '22s in a week or two. And thinks they will start showing up mid September.
He was also told to expect a couple new Talon models for '22. I asked, Turbo??? He laughed and said no way, but had no idea what they would be.
I'm guessing something simple like a trail edition with rock sliders and a winch or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.