Honda Talon Forum banner

Looking for a softer ride, I need help.

9K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Timbutzler 
From showroom setting, run the top adjuster nuts down about 2” so the shock is set more in the middle of its travel. Shocks come from the factory with little preload to meet the rollover spec, giving you about 4-5” compression travel. From the bottom of the shock body to the bottom of the spring, I have about 6” in front, 7” in rear, giving me a whole lot more compression travel than from the dealer. This won’t stiffen springs, just change where you are in travel range.

To see the shock travel range, jack up the machine so the suspension hangs. Then measure from the bottom of the shock body to bottom of spring. That’s the total available shock travel, assuming rubber snubber at bottom is crushed. Given I don’t do high speed whoops or fly the machine (often), about 50-50 works for me.

A Fox guy told me to soften the valving, not the springs. I compared stock spring rates with an Eibach spring package. Eibach’s about 25% softer, not enough for me to pony up $80-90 for each spring times 8. Fox guy said the valving is stiff to meet rollover test. I rode an Eibach spring/Shock Therapy valved machine and found a LOT of body lean, compared to stock (Thanks Havasu Dave!). In a rollover test, you’d fail. For comfort, pretty good once you get used to it.
For me, I like being able to have confidence in a hard corner more than having a more plush ride.

I bet a good suspension wizard could give the exact right balance of handling vs comfort but I would rather have handling than comfort if I have to choose.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.