Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an x4 and I do a lot of sand dune riding, when the dunes get all torn up from people riding the ride of this x4 is really harsh and I also feel bad for the machine itself getting beat so hard. Theres been a few times I have bottomed out as well. What is the best shocks/suspension upgrade to get a really smooth ride. I am jealous of some of my riding buddies with yxzs and can-ams hitting bumps and it not even shaking them at all. The machine is completely stock except for a windshield and sound system, like that matters lmao.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My understanding is the springs on the Talon are not set with the correct weight or spring travel, but from what I understand it can be corrected with new springs...
I have been looking at new Shock Therapy springs
When ordering the springs they have a list of questions related to the spring rates to optimize the suspension travel and ride. The stock springs on the Talon seem to be an all around "best fit" which is not the best for our needs... (of course).
I have the same issues with my X4, but I am still trying to get the boss (my wife - lol) to provide the necessary funding. Unfortunately the Talon can be a money pit, so Its probably understandable that she is hesitant to spend another $7-800 on springs...
This is suppose to drastically improve the bucking on the Talon though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would search this forum for the various discussions of Shock Therapy and their "individual optimization" of spring rates.

Agree with Irishhunter that weight on the rear definitely helps with the issue.

·
Registered
323 Posts
unfortunately for me my talon was too harsh, finally had all 4 shocks revalved\resprung, in hindsight should have been the first dime I dropped into the machine before the other stuff, live and learn

very pleased now, FCR Suspension did mine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got shock therapy springs and it was nite and day. Then added spare tire to the HMF tailgate and it’s even better (no more bucking and no it’s not just you). In March we hauled it down to Phoenix shock therapy’s ride improvement system. It rides like a Cadillac now. You will have to relearn your suspension since shocks are much smoother and softer. When hitting the whoops you’ll need to turn them up to firm to avoid bottoming out.
All three you will see dramatic improvement!

·
Registered
29 Posts
From showroom setting, run the top adjuster nuts down about 2” so the shock is set more in the middle of its travel. Shocks come from the factory with little preload to meet the rollover spec, giving you about 4-5” compression travel. From the bottom of the shock body to the bottom of the spring, I have about 6” in front, 7” in rear, giving me a whole lot more compression travel than from the dealer. This won’t stiffen springs, just change where you are in travel range.

To see the shock travel range, jack up the machine so the suspension hangs. Then measure from the bottom of the shock body to bottom of spring. That’s the total available shock travel, assuming rubber snubber at bottom is crushed. Given I don’t do high speed whoops or fly the machine (often), about 50-50 works for me.

A Fox guy told me to soften the valving, not the springs. I compared stock spring rates with an Eibach spring package. Eibach’s about 25% softer, not enough for me to pony up $80-90 for each spring times 8. Fox guy said the valving is stiff to meet rollover test. I rode an Eibach spring/Shock Therapy valved machine and found a LOT of body lean, compared to stock (Thanks Havasu Dave!). In a rollover test, you’d fail. For comfort, pretty good once you get used to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From showroom setting, run the top adjuster nuts down about 2” so the shock is set more in the middle of its travel. Shocks come from the factory with little preload to meet the rollover spec, giving you about 4-5” compression travel. From the bottom of the shock body to the bottom of the spring, I have about 6” in front, 7” in rear, giving me a whole lot more compression travel than from the dealer. This won’t stiffen springs, just change where you are in travel range.

To see the shock travel range, jack up the machine so the suspension hangs. Then measure from the bottom of the shock body to bottom of spring. That’s the total available shock travel, assuming rubber snubber at bottom is crushed. Given I don’t do high speed whoops or fly the machine (often), about 50-50 works for me.

A Fox guy told me to soften the valving, not the springs. I compared stock spring rates with an Eibach spring package. Eibach’s about 25% softer, not enough for me to pony up $80-90 for each spring times 8. Fox guy said the valving is stiff to meet rollover test. I rode an Eibach spring/Shock Therapy valved machine and found a LOT of body lean, compared to stock (Thanks Havasu Dave!). In a rollover test, you’d fail. For comfort, pretty good once you get used to it.
For me, I like being able to have confidence in a hard corner more than having a more plush ride.

I bet a good suspension wizard could give the exact right balance of handling vs comfort but I would rather have handling than comfort if I have to choose.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is the problem with ST doing revalve. You don’t know what the original Fox shim stack was and you don’t know what ST put in. I’m hoping Fox will tell me what shim stack # is in the OEM and make a suggestion of a softer flavor. IIRC, the standard 2.5” stacks go #25-90, 90 being the stiffest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts