Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
51 Posts
I wouldn't. Lithium batteries have their own chargers and warn against using traditional battery chargers. I recently replaced a 1 yr old Odyssey 925 with a lithium as my second battery that powers my accessories only. I ditched the battery seperator and simply plug the lithium up to it's charger as needed. I can go 2-3 days on each full charge on the lithium and can pull it down as far as it will go without harming it. The 925 with seperator lost juice by the end of each day of riding and if you pull any traditional battery below 10.5 volts a couple of times, they're toast. We'll see how the lithium holds up long term but if it lasts 2 years I'm saving money Oh, I'm typically only running two battery amp guages, a BOSS Bluetooth receiver and a camera...no juice hogs. Have a winch but have never used it.

·
Registered
2021 Talon R
14 Posts
What good is a battery that can't be charged with the vehicle's charging system? It would seem that lithium batteries would have to be able to do this. They've been using them in dirt bikes since they first came out (Shorai).

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
51 Posts
Just saying I don't but research it and draw your own conclusion. I'm content to manually charge using a charger designed for lithium batteries...no more or less trouble than connecting a trickle charger to a traditional SLA battery. If I ever decide to charge on-the-go, I'll mount an inverter to the Talon along with a dedicated lithium charger, an amp guage and an on/off switch. Seems much ado but the dual battery system didn't work for me and dropping 200 bucks a year for another odyssey sucked really quick. Plus, it took several pounds off the front of the Talon. Be safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of these lithium replacement batteries have a built in charge controller to address this issue. Before they got popular, years ago, I'd disassemble Dewalt battery packs and make batteries for motorcycles to save weight, without a controller. They lasted years and were the size of your fist and weighted 2lbs. I plan on making my own when I get a Talon, charge controllers are very cheap now. Never throw away a cordless lithium battery pack, usually only one cell is bad or the pack voltage got too low. If it's the latter, jump the pack with another battery of the same voltage and it will raise the voltage to a level where the charger will allow it to charge again. Keep the good cells for replacements.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Shorai lithium iron batteries are absolutely wonderful for motorcycles. I have 3 of them with a total of about 20 years abuse between them. Full accidental discharges, used whatever battery chargers, HID headlights, left sitting for extended periods of time, swapped back and forth into TAG karts to save weight, more whatever battery chargers when something left on, freezing winters, blazing hot summers--I can't get one of them to fail!

Super light and maybe the toughest most indestructible products I have ever used!

The only thing I do to take care of them is disconnect the leads if I know they will not be used for an extended period of time (I am not a fan of trickle chargers).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will my Honda, 4sx..alternator properly charge a lithium battery?i
I just today bought the Anti Gravity 620 Lithium Battery, plus a small 2 amp lithium maintenance charger, Easy to install..very light weight..so far I love it...my 2021 S4S, battery lasted just over 2 years..My research says newer vehicles alternators will charge a lithium battery, but after it sits or looses its charge, you must use only a lithium charger, I think the Honda while driving will maintain a lithium battery? I did have to charge my new lithium battery after it arrived in the mail..took 6 hrs slow charge..to 13.6 volts..

Will my Honda, 4sx..alternator properly charge a lithium battery?i

·
Registered
2021 Talon R
14 Posts
I just today bought the Anti Gravity 620 Lithium Battery, plus a small 2 amp lithium maintenance charger, Easy to install..very light weight..so far I love it...my 2021 S4S, battery lasted just over 2 years..My research says newer vehicles alternators will charge a lithium battery, but after it sits or looses its charge, you must use only a lithium charger, I think the Honda while driving will maintain a lithium battery? I did have to charge my new lithium battery after it arrived in the mail..took 6 hrs slow charge..to 13.6 volts..
Another potential problem with lithium just occurred to me - I recently installed a second battery (AGM) to handle my accessories, mostly a winch. Lithium needs a higher full charge voltage than a conventional battery, about one volt, if I remember correctly.

How would this difference be handled by the vehicle's charging system? Once the isolator 'connects' I'd have one battery that wants 13.6 volts and another that wants 12.6 volts on the same charging circuit. fwiw: my dual VM shows 13.8 volts once the isolator connects with the motor running.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, as noted, my experience is with lithium iron (iron) batteries in motorcycles. If you got a lithium iron battery, it should perform the fine in the Talon.

I have run LI batteries in many charging situations from full race Baja Designs rewound stators and dual HID's to the wife's CR230 with a rewound stator with single HID, to a stock CRF250, to my daughter's 125cc TAG ("touch and go") go karts. All completely different charging systems with different draws and needs. NEVER a problem. And did I mention all the abuse they went through and that I never used a trickle or special charger on them?

If the battery you purchased is LI (iron) you will have no problems with it, likely even if you try to abuse it. If a different lithium battery then please disregard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, as noted, my experience is with lithium iron (iron) batteries in motorcycles. If you got a lithium iron battery, it should perform the fine in the Talon.

I have run LI batteries in many charging situations from full race Baja Designs rewound stators and dual HID's to the wife's CR230 with a rewound stator with single HID, to a stock CRF250, to my daughter's 125cc TAG ("touch and go") go karts. All completely different charging systems with different draws and needs. NEVER a problem. And did I mention all the abuse they went through and that I never used a trickle or special charger on them?

If the battery you purchased is LI (iron) you will have no problems with it, likely even if you try to abuse it. If a different lithium battery then please disregard.
Is there a difference in a Lithium Ion and a Lithium Iron battery? I've only seen them as Lithium Ion.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, they are different.

On differences:
I have Shorai LI batteries, but in motorcycles. Shorai's website, with FAQ's, is ShoraiPower.com. They are primarily focused on motorcycle applications but note they work on vehicles up to 1800cc. Our Talons have motorcycle engines in them, but I would guess greater electrical requirements. When I need a new Talon battery someday, I will first contact Shorai to see if there is one of their batteries they would recommend. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts