Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washing my new Talon X2 for the first time this afternoon I realized I didn't know where the engine air intake is located or how to ensure I don't squirt water in it.

Is the plastic grill on the cowling behind the passenger's head the engine air intake? If not where?

I assume the Talon was designed to prevent water intrusion during a heavy rain or while washing. Correst?

Your comments are requested.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Washing my new Talon X2 for the first time this afternoon I realized I didn't know where the engine air intake is located or how to ensure I don't squirt water in it.

Is the plastic grill on the cowling behind the passenger's head the engine air intake? If not where?

I assume the Talon was designed to prevent water intrusion during a heavy rain or while washing. Correst?

Your comments are requested.
Yup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think they intended the air input to come in via the scoop behind the passenger door.. Unfortunately lots of other ways that air gets in, and for those of us who live in the desert or dusty mountains,
The air intake is one of the 1st mods I ( and many others) made after seeing the filter after 200 or 300 miles. Lots of posts on this topic here and hondasxs.com ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.. I will look at the air intake track a little closer to better understand it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Honda design prevents water from going in even if you spray it in the vent area. It has a hat like a mushroom. That said, it's a poorly conceived intake as tons of dust gets sucked in kicked up by the vehicle.

The cheapest way to keep your filter from getting clogged in dusty conditions is a snorkel with a filter on top. Some folks are using uni filters on the pipe where it enters the plenum.

Other prefilter options include KWT and S&B. I run the KWT, here is a review at 680 miles, I am waiting for the production model to do an updated review.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts