Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need your help please.

I am inquiring about the claim from a rental company that stated that I operated a 2020 Talon for an hour with my young kids; there were three families, and 3 Talons. They stated that the front "knuckles and rims" needed replacement. We took a Talon 1000R out on the Oregon dunes and since I had never operated one of these before, we took it really conservatively.

The claims basis is that they assumed I went down a 'razor' hill? Like a hidden or sudden dune hill... I'm not sure what they are called.

It seemed really awkward that of all the Talons, the inspection crew immediately ran over to the Talon I was in, then said you ruined the rims and suspension.

The photos show what was apparently the damage. Does this sound legit from your experience?

Thank you for any insights

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
68 Posts
Hey bud, so I’m no expert but you have two pics each show a different finish on the inside of the rim. One looks raw( machined) and the other black. Not sure why that is on the same machine. See some paint chips on the a arms but don’t appear to be from damage rather just chips( powder coating is lacking strength on these) only thing I wonder is how the rim lost all the powder coat on the inside lip. But still is on the other rim. Sounds like a bs deal to me. Good luck bud🤨

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did it get bottomed out hard? There is sand packed up on the front bumper and a-arm...or at least the pics look like it.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
101 Posts
Hello,

I need your help please.

I am inquiring about the claim from a rental company that stated that I operated a 2020 Talon for an hour with my young kids; there were three families, and 3 Talons. They stated that the front "knuckles and rims" needed replacement. We took a Talon 1000R out on the Oregon dunes and since I had never operated one of these before, we took it really conservatively.

The claims basis is that they assumed I went down a 'razor' hill? Like a hidden or sudden dune hill... I'm not sure what they are called.

It seemed really awkward that of all the Talons, the inspection crew immediately ran over to the Talon I was in, then said you ruined the rims and suspension.

The photos show what was apparently the damage. Does this sound legit from your experience?

Thank you for any insights

View attachment 1254
View attachment 1255

View attachment 1256
If what you say is true, riding in the sand will not do the damage shown on the wheels. There is sand on the front bumber that depicts a possible bottoming out of the suspension in the sand, but that wouldn’t create that kind of wheel damage either. It looks as if you might be blamed for someone else’s damage, since it is a rental and many have rented it before you. I wish you luck with this unfortunate situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Opinions expressed here are of little value to you. If the rental company is claiming you damaged their Talon and you're disputing their claim an inspection by a local Honda Powersports dealer might help. It's probably a no-win situation for you because if damage exists you'll probably be blamed for it even if a previous renter caused it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sure sounds suspicious to me from your description. Sounds like a bad experience and perhaps a disreputable rental company. I know it's too late, and I'm in no way dissing you, but I've rented more cars in my years of medical equipment service than I can remember. After a similar incident (which my company paid for), I began doing my own very careful walk around inspections of any vehicle I rented. I suspect you will too from now on. It's pretty nice these days where you can snap photos of existing damage with your phone to show them. Good luck with your case there and sorry for your trouble.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Opinions expressed here are of little value to you. If the rental company is claiming you damaged their Talon and you're disputing their claim an inspection by a local Honda Powersports dealer might help. It's probably a no-win situation for you because if damage exists you'll probably be blamed for it even if a previous renter caused it.

Opinions are exactly what he says , However I have both a 1000R and a 1000X and I can tell you the best thing to do is try to get all your facts and talk to a dealer In my opinion it appears that they have accidentally put 14" rims on the 1000R and the rims are scraping on the caliper But one thing is for sure that damage is not from sand or rocks it is from metal to metal contact and the rim being aluminum lost against the other metal.. this was NOT done by riding except for the fact that something was wrong with the machine to begin with and my money is on the wrong size rims

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum HTN. It is difficult to determine what happened just looking at two photos. It would be helpful if there were pictures before you rented the machine you might ask the rental company if they have any. The wheels look like they had recent damage -- the scrapes -- but seem to be serviceable. No way to tell about the suspension from the photos. We can all learn from this! ~ If you rent -- take pictures of any damage before you move the vehicle. Sorry, what did it cost you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
it's weird how the scrapes are all over the rim and the tires look like they have never been driven not a scuff mark on them at all and they stick out further than the rims also the pic of the other rim shows the scrapes on the inside of the rim and all the scrapes are very concerning damage but they all also seem to be from metal to metal not rocks or sand something else in the problem here not where the thing was ridden or how it was driven. there is an underlying cause that made these scrapes

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
68 Posts
Hey HTN, This post is sticking with me for the reason I have rented a SXS in Moab and many many cars in Hawaii. For some reason walking over there note of damage on a car rental I’m more observant. But had you asked me about the SXS I rented last yr in Moab I was not. Can’t even say I walked around it a bunch, did mention the scraps on the rock guards but was told ( that’s why there on it and don’t worry about those) . I could have been very much in your situation and without pics of previous rental scraps and damages. I would have been on the hook like you bud. It’s sad that you have to do a undercarriage inspection as most look at the obvious area’s. Can’t imagine having to jack it up and check ball joints and u joints and all that good stuff when we are on vacation and excited about are adventures. I agree that maybe this rental company may have missed damage from another renter and pinning it on you!.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Have you s
Hello,

I need your help please.

Have you settled with the rental company?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, All-

Thank you for the responses and insights. Sorry for the delayed response.

We are true newbies, never ridden these before until this experience... I gotta be honest, it was FUN though! The few response about the sand in the front was brought up and don't know if bottoming out, if it was hard or not, we did maneuver carefully but like I mentioned about these razor cliffs (?), we went down a couple... just don't know if it was hard or these machines handle those. We had kids with us so no crazy stuff...and, it was our first time.

This was already settled for $1K with the guy showing online web pricing for the front "knuckles and rims". With all the fine print and pre-rental contracts basically nothing to stand on. Oh, well, live and learn and take pics galore prior to any rental... good advice.

I did sent a message to Honda Power to see if I could speak with a product expert for Talons but they advise the same as everyone mentioned about local dealership and experiences of how the machines run and what type of operations they handle in that area. It wasn't much help.

Funny thing, we are headed around the same area where we rented so I'll swing by and see how the investment in my new front components and rims are. I'll share if anything comes from it.

Thank you again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts