Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Saw various post here and there around the topic of kids in side by sides. Figured I'd start a thread ro get some better ideas of how you're all handling things with car seats etc.

My wife and I pick up the talon 1000x4 this week and we're curious how others are taking their kids out.

I have a 3 and 5 year old who are both super excited to ride. We'd only ride slowly around the property, casual trail riding etc. Do you guys have dedicated car seats for this occasion? I would imagine that is our best bet.

I understand you can't do helmets within a car seat because it pushes the child's head forward and it's not safe. We read that most people put kids in car seats with bicycle helmets as they're lighter yet safer for use in a car seat.

Just looking to get everybody's thoughts and opinions so we can safely drive our kids around the property. Again there are no plans to go fast or do anything reckless, just trying to assure the little ones have fun and enjoy it too. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
We do not put helmets on them. Our doctor said the neck is not developed enough for a helmet till they are six. I don’t know how true that is but like you stated we just cruise with the kids ......so I am not worried about them hitting their head. No rock climbing our anything crazy. Car seats fit right in perfect. If you have a child under two (rear facing seat) you will have to turn them forward. We have had our kids ridding since 6 months. They LOVE it. We get in and all they say is “go go go go”. 5 mph to them is amazing. Also good to start them young. Just my .02

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply BK! That first pic, looked like you had your kids head wrapped and held down by saran wrap . Glad I saw pic two and three where they're safe, it must have been your window!

That is awesome though, I bought two new car seats yesterday and can't wait to take them out. Just trail riding, nothing crazy! I would never put my kids in a place they can be harmed (as I'm sure most of you would feel the same).

Have you tried bicycle helmets, heard that's what others are doing as well. Not sure how much protection it'd offer or if it'll be worth while but just food for thought.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We do not put helmets on them. Our doctor said the neck is not developed enough for a helmet till they are six. I don’t know how true that is but like you stated we just cruise with the kids ......so I am not worried about them hitting their head. No rock climbing our anything crazy. Car seats fit right in perfect. If you have a child under two (rear facing seat) you will have to turn them forward. We have had our kids ridding since 6 months. They LOVE it. We get in and all they say is “go go go go”. 5 mph to them is amazing. Also good to start them young. Just my .02

View attachment 2394 View attachment 2395
Seems odd that you wear a helmet but the kids don't
The kids do look like they are diggin it though..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seems odd that you wear a helmet but the kids don't
The kids do look like they are diggin it though..
Yes I agree ....very odd. In PA....on state trails....you have to wear a helmet. Again except for children under six or under 80 lbs. Then they must be in a car seat when on a SXS.

When you start really looking into each states rules on children ridding....it can get strange. Laws are very outdated or their is none at all. For example some states only allow children to ride when their “feet can touch the floor of the machine”. How does that make sense?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I agree ....very odd. In PA....on state trails....you have to wear a helmet. Again except for children under six or under 80 lbs. Then they must be in a car seat when on a SXS.

When you start really looking into each states rules on children ridding....it can get strange. Laws are very outdated or their is none at all. For example some states only allow children to ride when their “feet can touch the floor of the machine”. How does that make sense?
Are you from PA? My wife and I were actually looking up the laws of Pennsylvania last night, from what we read it sounds like the kids aren't allowed to ride in the side by side at all unless it's private land, if I remember correctly.

We're south western pa, are you local?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you from PA? My wife and I were actually looking up the laws of Pennsylvania last night, from what we read it sounds like the kids aren't allowed to ride in the side by side at all unless it's private land, if I remember correctly.

We're south western pa, are you local?

Yes I am just outside of State College PA. I head down your way to ride at Mountain Top a few times a year. Also we go to Yogi in Mill Run camping a few times a year. I will spend you a private message with more on PA laws.
But to clarify for anyone else reading. What you stated about kids in PA is not correct. And yes they can in-fact ride on PA trails.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am just outside of State College PA. I head down your way to ride at Mountain Top a few times a year. Also we go to Yogi in Mill Run camping a few times a year. I will spend you a private message with more on PA laws.
But to clarify for anyone else reading. What you stated about kids in PA is not correct. And yes they can in-fact ride on PA trails.
Never heard of mountain top, can you share details of any riding in the area you're familiar with? Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts