Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't just use a K&N only for filtration. The do not filter well enough in dusty conditions. The only way I have ever used a K&N for dusty conditions is with a dual stage pre-filter (K&N outer wear, pre-filter then the K&N).

They provide a slight gain in performance while not providing adequate filtration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I added a K&N filter to my 2021 1000x4 recently. I removed the stock snorkel and put the K&N filter as a pre-filter to the stock paper filter. I have only taken it out once since the install so can't really tell a performance difference.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
402 Posts
K&N's will ruin your machine in dusty conditions.
K&N by itself replacing the stock filter is NOT a good idea and will allow fine particles through.

However, a K&N used as a pre-filter (like @Rabbit did) with the stock filter still in place is just fine. The K&N will catch 95% of the dust and the stock filter to do what it does best, stop the finest of particles. It will prolong the stock filter life 10-20 times, maybe even more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
K&N by itself replacing the stock filter is NOT a good idea and will allow fine particles through.

However, a K&N used as a pre-filter (like @Rabbit did) with the stock filter still in place is just fine. The K&N will catch 95% of the dust and the stock filter to do what it does best, stop the finest of particles. It will prolong the stock filter life 10-20 times, maybe even more.
I also have an Outerwear cover on the K&N filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m running a Uni 3” foam pre-filter on the intake tube into the airbox and currently a K&N main filter. I checked the filter after 760 miles and the K&N, the airbox, and the outside of the Uni were all clean. I just have to clean the inside of the Uni. I am satisfied with this arrangement for it’s return on the investment. I now have 4 Uni filters to swap out as needed on the fly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here my only question I very much like this kit an the hidden design. I’m not as interested in washing mine as riding an since I ride as often as can an fact live in middle of brimstone washing isn’t that often. But how does direct spray an heavy rain effect the filter an pipeline going to main

·
Registered
5 Posts
K&N filters are not to be used off road. If used for off road that will void all warranty’s. You use one you’re gonna buy a new engine - I did and only cost me $3,500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should have clarified. Had a 2012 Polaris 900 XP and a “friend” changed the OEM filter to a fast flow K&N filter. Dusted the engine. On the box the K&N filter was a use warning that “off road use will void all warranties”. Did not use the K&N on my Honda. Traded the Polaris for the Honda. You are right! It was the wrong filter to use on the Polaris.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Back when Team Honda ran the air cooled bikes (and maybe the 650 too) in Baja, they required/strongly suggested you run a K&N air filter. For the 1000 there would be about 20 Team Honda pits set up on the peninsula and the only air filter spares they had were K&N. Standard was to change the filter one time during the race, although how silty the course was that year could affect the number of filter changes. Some teams, like us, typically ran the K&N with a filter skin on it and simply pulled the skin at half way.

So, K&N filters do have some off road applications. However, in those days, every motor had to be rebuilt after the race!

My last race was on an water-cooled Honda with an oiled Twin-Air filter and a filter skin, which is what most Hondas ran starting about 2006. Bike had already been from Tecate to Cabo once before the race, won the 1100 mile race (450 pro), and has about 6000 miles on it now...with no top end work ever done! Great Honda quality!

I would not run a K&N filter in place of the OEM on a Talon, especially without a pre-filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m running a Uni 3” foam pre-filter on the intake tube into the airbox and currently a K&N main filter. I checked the filter after 760 miles and the K&N, the airbox, and the outside of the Uni were all clean. I just have to clean the inside of the Uni. I am satisfied with this arrangement for it’s return on the investment. I now have 4 Uni filters to swap out as needed on the fly.
That's how I also roll. Good set up.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
173 Posts
I highly recommend the BVC kit, with a K&N as a prefilter. Keeps the dirty side of my air filter as clean as the clean side. I carry extra Outerwears, and just swap them out when things get dirty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts