Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Talon X4 Live Valve
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the K&N or the Twin Air, Air filter? Thoughts? I Have a partical seperator so I am not super worried about getting one. However it would be nice when I do have to change my filer every 8-900 miles depending on dust I could just wash it instead.

·
Registered
2021 Talon R
4 Posts
Has anyone installed the K&N or the Twin Air, Air filter? Thoughts? I Have a partical seperator so I am not super worried about getting one. However it would be nice when I do have to change my filer every 8-900 miles depending on dust I could just wash it instead.
With the particle separator, you shouldn't have to change the filter very often, I have been told that K & N filters let in more dirt than a paper filter. I would wait and see exactly how long before the paper filter needs changed before spending the money. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
While I would never run a K&N as my only filter, I do run one with Outerwears as a pre-filter (BVC intake system) and I am very pleasantly surprised at how clean it keeps the bottom side of my airbox. (BVC offers a foam pre-filter as well.)

The Twin Air is foam. which might give you more peace of mind?

·
Registered
39 Posts
While I would never run a K&N as my only filter, I do run one with Outerwears as a pre-filter (BVC intake system) and I am very pleasantly surprised at how clean it keeps the bottom side of my airbox. (BVC offers a foam pre-filter as well.)

I also run the BVC set-up but with the foam filter. Have to clean the foam pre-filter every ride but it's easy to access and clean. Very happy so far with it!

·
Registered
2021 Talon 1000X4
22 Posts
I was a little late in getting my break in service done, the first weekend in the mountains and before I knew I had hit 260 miles! Anyway, I was shocked to find my stock air filter already clogged with dirt and in need of replacement.

I installed a 3” UNI foam pre filter on intake into the box with a K&N. I don’t have more than 50miles on this set up yet, but it should last a whole lot longer than the stock filter alone. If I don’t like how the K&N looks than I’ll put a stock filter back in with the UNI pre filter. I like the washable nature of K&Ns and have used them on many different machines from quads to dirt bikes to pick ups and SUVs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am currently running the k&n just put in hoping for good things, have been running the rc2 filter was getting about 4-500 miles on rc2 between cleanings, but i blow it out at 4-500 mi depending on dust and wash it when i fo oil changes, no partical separter. But i also have a custom made snorkle i used a cold air intake off a Honda civic so it has a cone filter at end of snorkle

·
Registered
13 Posts

I just ordered the BVC kit. Was it easy to install? It looks like it should keep the main air filter clean.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just ordered the BVC kit. Was it easy to install? It looks like it should keep the main air filter clean.
The BVC is fairly easy to install if you DO NOT follow their video. They pull the rear fender and there is absolutely no need to do that. The simpler method is to pull about 10 push pins and remove the inner fender/air horn cover.

K&N Filters make great pre-filters but I would NEVER use one and the main/only filter. They breath great because they only stop about 95% and that is just not good enough unless you have that superior OEM filter after it to stop the fine particles. However, they flow great and that makes them a great pre-filter to stop most of the dirt and prolonging your stock filter.

ANY pre-filter will make your OEM filter last much, much longer. Even if you use a cheap eBay or a K&N that stops 95%, that will make your OEM filter last 20 times as long and the Honda OEM filter media is superior to anything else out there when it comes to fine particles. If you use a good UNI pre-filter and keep it clean and properly oiled, you may never need to change your OEM filter. There is a guy on the other forum that runs a UNI pre-filter and his stock filter has 30,000 miles on it (that is not a mistype) and it still looks almost new (YMMV)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The BVC is fairly easy to install if you DO NOT follow their video. They pull the rear fender and there is absolutely no need to do that. The simpler method is to pull about 10 push pins and remove the inner fender/air horn cover.

K&N Filters make great pre-filters but I would NEVER use one and the main/only filter. They breath great because they only stop about 95% and that is just not good enough unless you have that superior OEM filter after it to stop the fine particles. However, they flow great and that makes them a great pre-filter to stop most of the dirt and prolonging your stock filter.

ANY pre-filter will make your OEM filter last much, much longer. Even if you use a cheap eBay or a K&N that stops 95%, that will make your OEM filter last 20 times as long and the Honda OEM filter media is superior to anything else out there when it comes to fine particles. If you use a good UNI pre-filter and keep it clean and properly oiled, you may never need to change your OEM filter. There is a guy on the other forum that runs a UNI pre-filter and his stock filter has 30,000 miles on it (that is not a mistype) and it still looks almost new (YMMV)

·
Registered
21 1000R LV
24 Posts
I'm running K&N in the box and made my own pre filter set up with another K&N on it with a K&N pre filter around that. I think it looks b*tchin. But I only have 10 miles on the R so far and I live in Vegas. I've been running K&N on my all my motorized vehicles out here for the last 14 years with 0 issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Added the BVC pre-filter kit yesterday. It was an easy install after I removed the stock snorkel. I only have 113 miles on my 1000X4 and the paper filter was already pretty dirty without the pre-filter. Hopefully this will keep it clean and last longer.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Hood
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Hood
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Talon 1000X4
22 Posts
I went to clean my K&N this weekend, not having pulled it since I installed it and the 3" Uni pre filter last Fall. I have 1,020 miles on my machine, 760 of that since I installed this set up. The K&N was perfectly clean and didn't need to be cleaned. The Uni was caked with dirt on the inside, but looked clean from the outside. The inside of the airbox was clean. I would say the Uni pre-filters are the least expensive and simplest way to fix the poor air filter life for these machines. I am sold and don't feel the need to spend a lot of money or time on something different at this point. I have a new stock air filter on hand if I feel the need to swap it back in. I will be buying more 3" Uni pre filters to have at the ready to change when needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.