Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reserved a x4 live valve. delivery early February. I want to put 35's due to the terrain that we have here in East Tennessee to get some ground clearance. If I put 5+2 wheels will this keep from rubbing? A couple guys around here have 35' on stock x 2 door units and run good but have read about rubbing issues on here with the x4 and 32's. Any help will probably got with ITP coyote tires.. Looking at this setup for wheels and tires

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Some 31's rub and most 32's rub. 35's will rub BAD and they will rob a lot of power too. Contrary to popular belief, 5+2, 4+3, 3+4 wheels will make it worse, not better.

@SuperATV sells forward offset control arms that are supposed to work with 34's. If you stick with 6+1 wheels, you may be able to go to 35's if the tread is rounded.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will check with superatv
I have a 2021 1000X-4 and run Tusk 5+2 wheels for my paddle tires and I would recommend a spacer for the rear wheels to get back to the stock wheel placement (or maybe increase the width a little) and to provide clearance for the control arms. I run 2 inch spacers to increase the width when running paddles in the sand, but I would recommend running either different wheels or a small spacer (1.0 inch?) with the larger tires.

·
Super Moderator
316 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will check with superatv
Here's a link: Home Page - SuperATV
Hit me up if you're interested and I can get you a little member discount.
Technically, we list it at a max of a 34"....but it'll fit a 35" just fine. We just list it very conservatively.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just reserved a x4 live valve. delivery early February. I want to put 35's due to the terrain that we have here in East Tennessee to get some ground clearance. If I put 5+2 wheels will this keep from rubbing? A couple guys around here have 35' on stock x 2 door units and run good but have read about rubbing issues on here with the x4 and 32's. Any help will probably got with ITP coyote tires.. Looking at this setup for wheels and tires
I have 35x9.5x20 super swamper tsl boggers. Ride good on hard pack. Tear up the mud. Same in sand. I have 1.5” forward a arms that’s it. On 2020 Honda talon 1000x-4

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the X4 live valve and I'm running 35's on stock wheels and have no issues and appreciate the added ground clearance . There is a little power lost on the top end but I rarely have to do 70 mph on the trails. I would strongly suggest getting rock sliders before you take it trail riding. Been there,regretted that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a nice ride. I don't think I will be doing any racing with mine so the power lose should not be a big deal. The group I will be riding with suggest 35's because of the terrain they travel on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is a nice ride. I don't think I will be doing any racing with mine so the power lose should not be a big deal. The group I will be riding with suggest 35's because of the terrain they travel on.
I ride Windrock royal blue and brimstone and really like the added ground clearance and traction.
The frame design is awful so I really recommend the rock sliders, I damage my frame my first ride out at Royal Blue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I rode with one of my buddies at royal blue about 3 weeks ago. seems the ones with 32's or bigger were good. mix of Talons, rmax4, can also and rzr. The Talons both have 35's. I think the skid plate and rockers wil be one of the first adds along with tires. Dealer is in stalling a windshield with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I rode with one of my buddies at royal blue about 3 weeks ago. seems the ones with 32's or bigger were good. mix of Talons, rmax4, can also and rzr. The Talons both have 35's. I think the skid plate and rockers wil be one of the first adds along with tires. Dealer is in stalling a windshield with it.
I like the split windshield verses the solid and the rear windshield really helps keep a lot of the dust out. I made the lower door panels myself for $40 and my accessories control panel for free on a 3-D printer. If you are considering a winch I don't recommend synthetic cable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts