Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would offer up a quick review of the JEI Offroad Horizontal Spare tire carrier I purchased for my 4 seater live Valve.

these are only my own personal opinions of how my install went.

build quality is good. Did take me a bit to get it installed, my 2020 4 seater has a flag mount made into the roll cage it's placement interferes with the proper placement of the carrier. If the flag mount was gone everything appears to line up better.

After carefully looking at the picture on JEI website you can see the roll cage they have doesn't have the flag mount or they cut it off. Since the carrier come with no installation instructions it takes some time to get it to fit correctly and things to line up. I had to put the carrier mounts all the way to the end of the cage under the flag mount to get it to work otherwise it sat to tall and you couldn't get the tire mounted it would hit the roof. I thought of cutting off the flag mount but didn't want to mess up the powder coated cage.
By lowering the carriers lower cage mounts all the way down past the flag mount it does cause a bit of trouble with the alignment of the lower cage mounts they are just not welded to be at this angle.

View attachment 1022 View attachment 1023 View attachment 1024

·
Registered
307 Posts
Nice job adapting it to what exists. The lack of instructions isn’t helpfu, especially since before they sell it should tell you that flag mount must be removed.

it looks like removable pins secure it down. They must be removed for the rack to pivot? Is there a place to put them?

do they screw out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job adapting it to what exists. The lack of instructions isn’t helpfu, especially since before they sell it should tell you that flag mount must be removed.

it looks like removable pins secure it down. They must be removed for the rack to pivot? Is there a place to put them?

do they screw out?
yea the the bolts

do they screw out?
Yeah they are bolts you screw out to let the rack lift up. I’ve already lost one on a trail it was easy to find at ace hardware.

I have noticed he no longer shows The rack for sell.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I thought I would offer up a quick review of the JEI Offroad Horizontal Spare tire carrier I purchased for my 4 seater live Valve.

these are only my own personal opinions of how my install went.

build quality is good. Did take me a bit to get it installed, my 2020 4 seater has a flag mount made into the roll cage it's placement interferes with the proper placement of the carrier. If the flag mount was gone everything appears to line up better.

After carefully looking at the picture on JEI website you can see the roll cage they have doesn't have the flag mount or they cut it off. Since the carrier come with no installation instructions it takes some time to get it to fit correctly and things to line up. I had to put the carrier mounts all the way to the end of the cage under the flag mount to get it to work otherwise it sat to tall and you couldn't get the tire mounted it would hit the roof. I thought of cutting off the flag mount but didn't want to mess up the powder coated cage.
By lowering the carriers lower cage mounts all the way down past the flag mount it does cause a bit of trouble with the alignment of the lower cage mounts they are just not welded to be at this angle.
If you look close enough, you can in fact see the flag mount in a couple of the pics. However, what they really fail to mention (or don't know) and you may not be aware of is that the rear part of the cage on a 4 seater is not the same as the 2 seater and that carrier is built for a 2 seater so it will not properly fit your 4 seater. The lower bend is higher on the 4 seater, putting the flag mount higher and that is why you had to position it where the flag mount is (or should I say was).

The geometry of the cage is completely different between a 2 and 4 seater.

Look how far up the cage from the bottom bend it is mounted on a 2 seater...

Compared to your 4 seater...

And see where the bend is on a 2 seater...

As compared to how far up it is on your 4 seater...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.