Honda Talon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
The guys at www.PPEI.com have a talon with a Jackson Turbo kit on it on the dyno right now. They are working on different options of performance. A tune with an aftermarket exhaust is first up. Then Open Header. Then maximum performance out of it. Exciting times for Honda Talon Owners.

·
Registered
179 Posts
had a few questions for Jackson so i gave them a call today. some good info, so i figured i would pass it along.

asked about future upgrade kit.. was told today that they are working on a racing kit to add to the current turbo kit. it will have things like 2 bigger injectors and a better fuel pump. he was very reluctant with the info but i got a few things from him like that at 15psi boost they could not give it enough fuel with the current injector fuel pump combo.
also the programmer they send you with the turbo kit has a really nice dash Gage set up. but as of now you cant leave it connected all the time because it will mess the dash up randomly on start up, i did make a mount on my dash for the programmer and did have the check engine light come on a few times with no codes. but they plan on having a firmware update soon that will let you to use it for a dash. and they will have a mount kit for it.
also the snorkel kit is coming soon
and launch control.
all in all i am very impressed with there kit. every part fits perfectly and did not have to modify anything. the directions are very good that they send with the kit. Jackson is definitely at the next level compared to most of the after market stuff i have done over the years.

at the end of the conversation he added that there are a few more things in the works for the future.
Do you have any pictures of your mount for the gauge on your dash?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
i used this gage pod ebay double gauge pod and i 3d printed a base out to mount on the bolt in the top of the steering column. in this i put a aem boost controller gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. sorry i dont have any pics of this at this moment.

as in how to to go... well i found that because i cant control the timing yet that i cant go over 13 or 14 lbs of boost without detonation. i have blown out a head gasket at 18 lbs of boost.and toasted the 1,3,5 clutch so far lol
will be installing 9to1 comp ratio pistons soon to lower the compression

the head gasket was due to detonation. keep in mind this is my first turbo unit and since there is little to no info on what we can get away with , im just sending it lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
i used this gage pod ebay double gauge pod and i 3d printed a base out to mount on the bolt in the top of the steering column. in this i put a aem boost controller gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. sorry i dont have any pics of this at this moment.

as in how to to go... well i found that because i cant control the timing yet that i cant go over 13 or 14 lbs of boost without detonation. i have blown out a head gasket at 18 lbs of boost.and toasted the 1,3,5 clutch so far lol
will be installing 9to1 comp ratio pistons soon to lower the compression

the head gasket was due to detonation. keep in mind this is my first turbo unit and since there is little to no info on what we can get away with , im just sending it lol
That’s good to know. Can you change the head gasket and pistons with the engine in the frame?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Did you have to replace the clutch? If so, did you replace it with stock, or aftermarket? Can’t be done in the frame?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
yes clutch can be changed in frame. as far as i can find there is no aftermarket clutch yet. but yes the 1,3,5 clutch has gone bad. but i dont think it was due to the high horse power. i may have done some things that caused it :whistle:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, my turbo shows up tomorrow! I think I will get the boost controller like you did, since Jackson‘s monitor can’t be left plugged in. I definitely want more than what the Jackson kit will put out, but don’t want to hurt any parts. Pistons might be a smart investment once you start turning up the boost. I am also putting a Donaldson filter canister above the fender, and eliminating the Jackson dirt sucker. Keep me posted on your experiences.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
just remember if you put in more air you have to put in more fuel. if you turned up the boost to 13 like i have with out giving it more fuel, well it would be a short life for that engine. running lean on a na engine is bad but when its a boosted engine its a lot worse. it wont be long and jackson will have a kit to up the boost. id say just wait for jackson or some one with a pv3 tune for a turbo talon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
just remember if you put in more air you have to put in more fuel. if you turned up the boost to 13 like i have with out giving it more fuel, well it would be a short life for that engine. running lean on a na engine is bad but when its a boosted engine its a lot worse. it wont be long and jackson will have a kit to up the boost. id say just wait for jackson or some one with a pv3 tune for a turbo talon.
Dyno Jet has an Auto tune where you can add two wide band O2 sensors and read each cylinder. The original Honda O2 sensor says put where it came in the middle of the exhaust.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, I’m very impatient, but should prolly just wait. Hopefully it will be soon, and maybe they will figure out how to be able to leave the monitor hooked up so you can actually use it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Dyno Jet has an Auto tune where you can add two wide band O2 sensors and read each cylinder. The original Honda O2 sensor says put where it came in the middle of the exhaust.
the auto tune is only for small adjustments. you cant put a stock tune on and have it auto tune for a turbo from what i have read. could be wrong .....
Yeah, I’m very impatient, but should prolly just wait. Hopefully it will be soon, and maybe they will figure out how to be able to leave the monitor hooked up so you can actually use it.
yea me 2.... that is why i did what i have done to mine. as for the monitor. it is not water proof or resistant in any way.. found out the hard way. and they do want to make it so it can stay on it all the time but there is a firmware problem with the trans it appears that happend with a update right when they released the turbo kit. i guess they haven't been able to fix it since.

·
Registered
90 Posts

This is Elliott Cook's Honda Talon with a Jackson Turbo Kit:
12 psi Boost
Jackson Racing injectors right now ( but we will be switching them to injector dynamics )
Using a Dyno Jet auto tune module to monitor Air Fuel Ratio on both cylinders through two wide band O2 sensors
Using a Dyno Jet PV3 with a PPEI Custom Tune and power commander with 3 bar map sensor

Contact Erik or Kory at PPEI Tuning for all your Tuning needs. Trucks, Motorhomes, SXS, ETC.
They have been working overtime on the Honda Talon NA and Turbo to gather data to have the best possible tunes available on the market.
www.PPEI.com

·
Registered
90 Posts
wonder why they dont advertise this on there web.... not one word about anything about a honda talon
Thinks are progressing way faster then their website. Also they are in Lake Charles LA. First hurricane last summer flooded their build. They moved. Second hurricane ripped the roof off their new building. So website is behind. Great guys putting the work in.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts