Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Jackson turbo doesn't have an issue at altitude anymore. It did and it is something that is deeper into the ECU that was affecting it. Jackson figured that out and got it changed.
It is awesome to see other companies coming out with turbo kits that may be less expensive. The other thing that's neat about the Honda Talon turboed is the Talon with 170 horsepower will take a machine with 190 to 200 horsepower. The transmission loses a lot less horsepower than the rubber band. So basically a stock turbo talon will take the other stock turbo machines. There will be high horsepower talons running around very soon! I can't wait to see what happens with the talons as people start putting power to them!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It’s just such a rip off buying the Jackson turbo kit for how much power it makes. Plus, for $6k you still have to splice 2 of your own hoses together? REALLY! ? When you call to get some technical info they have that arrogant California attitude, and don’t tell you the truth. They deny having problems running at high altitudes, even when customers are so pissed off they want their money back,they still deny it. If you read their warranty, they don’t warranty anything. If you unbox it, the warranty is voided! I can’t wait til anyone else comes out with a turbo kit that actually puts some boost to it so you can, maybe keep up with some of the rubber band machines. I almost pulled the trigger for the Jackson kit, but glad I didn’t. I think the wait will be worth it from someone else.
i agree that there is alot more on the table with jackson but... look at it at there perspective. honda came to them and said if you can do this we will approve this . so they spend a ton of time making it how honda wanted it. and after i had some conversations with them i learned to read between the lines of what they say. and of all the aftermarket kits that i have installed on things over the past 25 years this kit is near perfect for a painless install.. oh no i had to cut a hose and connect it... how dare they utilize the parts that are already on the machine that were gonna get tossed in the garbage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Jackson turbo doesn't have an issue at altitude anymore. It did and it is something that is deeper into the ECU that was affecting it. Jackson figured that out and got it changed.
It is awesome to see other companies coming out with turbo kits that may be less expensive. The other thing that's neat about the Honda Talon turboed is the Talon with 170 horsepower will take a machine with 190 to 200 horsepower. The transmission loses a lot less horsepower than the rubber band. So basically a stock turbo talon will take the other stock turbo machines. There will be high horsepower talons running around very soon! I can't wait to see what happens with the talons as people start putting power to them!
im not sure about the whole taking out a 190 horse machine with the 170 on the talon. dont get me wrong its a great machine but the rubber band ones get to top end very fast. before i got the turbo i would lose drags to a 1000 commander stock for stock, by a few car lenghts. the trans is one of the best parts of the talon with it also being one of the worst things about it at the same time. but as a trail machine i would not want any other.
one of the guys i ride with has a x3 170 hp model ordered. i am very interested how my talon will hold up next to it. he should be getting it next month.

·
Registered
106 Posts
im not sure about the whole taking out a 190 horse machine with the 170 on the talon. dont get me wrong its a great machine but the rubber band ones get to top end very fast. before i got the turbo i would lose drags to a 1000 commander stock for stock, by a few car lenghts. the trans is one of the best parts of the talon with it also being one of the worst things about it at the same time. but as a trail machine i would not want any other.
one of the guys i ride with has a x3 170 hp model ordered. i am very interested how my talon will hold up next to it. he should be getting it next month.
I agree....I was mainly referring to some guys out west in the sand dunes at the drag strips against other stock turbo machines. I'm not saying it destroys them just was using it as an example that there is less horsepower loss through a transmission than the rubber band. It will be interesting to hear how it does against your buddies Can-Am. Please keep us posted! I will be doing a turbo soon!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i miss the dunes.... spent a few years in vegas going to armagosa and dumont every weekend... had a 450r then.. will have to go back with my talon someday...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I too had a 450r for the dunes. There are so many people in the oregon dunes now, they never get time to smooth out. SXS’s are the only way now. Back in the 80’s we would ride all day in the oregon dunes and be the only 6 people out there. Talk about smooooooth dunes! Them days are long gone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Tickster, we’re in Oregon too. I missed the opportunity to do much back then only occassionally visiting the dunes, but I have a brother that rode a lot in the late 80’s well through the 90’s, he practically lived over there. Suzuki 450, Banshee’s and a plethora of dirtbikes. Might need to see if I can get him into a Talon and spend some time over there together. Amazing to me there isn’t more data on the drag racing potential of the Talon. I’ve seen some video’s and hear some rumors, but not enough to say we know yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i have some 0 to 60 with a draggy was like 9 sec stock and 6 with turbo stock. other wise she isnt a good one for that

also i have a pic of my plugs at 1300 miles on the turbo

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
just ordered a donaldson air cleaner kit and ordered the stuff to put in a snorkel off of it. the k&n that jackson sells you with your turbo kit is in the worst spot ever. cleaned mine and found it was completly covered with dirt and mud. and you could tell that water was splashing in it. it has a 4 inch hole in the end that lets the air into the airbox. but no room to build off of. so i am going to put a filter housing similar to what can am is doing. i will run the intake strait up through the fender. i purchased a intercooler pipe kit to build the snorkel out of. should look pretty good when im done. the pipes are aluminum so i can do some welding if needed. not sure how big the inlet and outlet really need to be but donaldson dose not make a 3in one so i ordered a 2.5 inch one. the pipe to the turbo from the filter currently is 2in so i dont think it has to be 3 in. guess ill find out

·
Registered
32 Posts
just ordered a donaldson air cleaner kit and ordered the stuff to put in a snorkel off of it. the k&n that jackson sells you with your turbo kit is in the worst spot ever. cleaned mine and found it was completly covered with dirt and mud. and you could tell that water was splashing in it. it has a 4 inch hole in the end that lets the air into the airbox. but no room to build off of. so i am going to put a filter housing similar to what can am is doing. i will run the intake strait up through the fender. i purchased a intercooler pipe kit to build the snorkel out of. should look pretty good when im done. the pipes are aluminum so i can do some welding if needed. not sure how big the inlet and outlet really need to be but donaldson dose not make a 3in one so i ordered a 2.5 inch one. the pipe to the turbo from the filter currently is 2in so i dont think it has to be 3 in. guess ill find out
I have been waiting for somebody to finally go with a proper Donaldson setup. Donaldson makes a cyclonic precleaner, too. Anxious to see your setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
small review of the evo on the jackson turbo. definitly do not put a aftermarket exhaust on it if you dont have a way to tune it. i went from 11 af on hard excel to 13. luckily i have a way to tune it. but i think i am going to have to put a better fuel pump in before i can do anything else to it. in the process of adding in a gage cluster on the steering column. boost and fuel pressure. now i have to figure out what size hose the fuel line is so i can put a tee in it to get the transducer in. so far i have added 3 gages. AF, fuel pressure and boost. all in all i really like the evo exhaust. sounds awesome. the turbo really sings through that exhaust. going to Hatfield in 2 weeks so when i get back i will be doing the fuel. for now, just waiting for my new air filter to show up. have the pipe kit and silicone parts to build the snorkel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mac, the fuel line on the Talon running from tank to the fuel rail is garbage. Its very small hose and has plastic 90° elbows in some spots that make zero sense, unless unnecessary restriction was in their plan.

On my R I replaced everything from the tank to the rail with AN -6 (3/8) lightweight hose and the appropriate -6 hose ends and used Russell brand EFI quick connects at the tank and pump. The pump QD is 3/8 and the fuel rail is a 7/16 QD. You will need a straight QD adapter at the tank and a 90° QD at the rail. On mine i used 2 extra hose ends and added a Russell 140 micron inline filter between the motor and tank.

20200809_151745.jpg
20200809_151816.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
thanks for the info on the fuel line. i will definitely be upgrading it. i know there are things i can do to the motor but i am trying to do as much as i can with out opening it up. then when things start to be a limitation i will open it up. in the future i will do pistons, rods and a cam... and prob a port polish with a dash of bigger valves.

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000r Turbo
16 Posts
Plus, for $6k you still have to splice 2 of your own hoses together? REALLY! ?
I never spliced two hoses together. They give you new hoses and a tee, but splicing is not involved. Worst thing is you have to drill the throttle body, that part I hated, lol

If you read their warranty, they don’t warranty anything. If you unbox it, the warranty is voided!
I'm gonna disagree on this. My buddy had an issue right out the box, they over-nighted him a new turbo. a six months later he snapped a bolt on the waste gate (while riding) and it busted the manifold, they sent him a new one with no questions asked. Jackson has been very good to deal with as far as replacing stuff.

I can't wait for paddle shifting and the race tune.And there are a lot of companies, like Alba, that will do tunes on them. my buddy is going to have Alba re-tune his Jackson Tune to give him more fuel, so we can run aftermarket exhaust. Yes Jackson's turbo is a bit spending, but I think it was worth the wait for a pure plug-in play. On the Rzr's you spend 6K and you are tearing the top of the engine off to replace studs and pistons. lol

21 - 37 of 37 Posts