Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Jackson turbo kit on my 2020 talon. i am thinking for the fun of it i am going to start doing some upgrades to it.. need some ideas, im fairly new to having a turbo to play with but i have done a lot of research with others like Polaris and can am.
im curious to find out what is the limit with this engine before she comes apart. and with the trans. being that the jacson kit does not void warentee and that is around 150 hp at what 8psi?
i think i can bump the boost with a controller on the wast gate. programing is one of the things i need to figure out. i need a way to play with fuel and timing. what programmers can i adjust things? or do i need a stand alone aftermarket computer system to do this correctly.

side note. after doing a bunch of reading about turbocharging, i think i may need to step down the pistons to 8 to 1 ish.

i wonder how much she will take before the studs will need to be replaced.
anyways this is just the begining of my ramblings on what i have been pondering to do with this talon. i think i should be able to achive 200 hp with it but im sure im going to have to beef the motor up a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
had a few questions for Jackson so i gave them a call today. some good info, so i figured i would pass it along.

asked about future upgrade kit.. was told today that they are working on a racing kit to add to the current turbo kit. it will have things like 2 bigger injectors and a better fuel pump. he was very reluctant with the info but i got a few things from him like that at 15psi boost they could not give it enough fuel with the current injector fuel pump combo.
also the programmer they send you with the turbo kit has a really nice dash Gage set up. but as of now you cant leave it connected all the time because it will mess the dash up randomly on start up, i did make a mount on my dash for the programmer and did have the check engine light come on a few times with no codes. but they plan on having a firmware update soon that will let you to use it for a dash. and they will have a mount kit for it.
also the snorkel kit is coming soon
and launch control.
all in all i am very impressed with there kit. every part fits perfectly and did not have to modify anything. the directions are very good that they send with the kit. Jackson is definitely at the next level compared to most of the after market stuff i have done over the years.

at the end of the conversation he added that there are a few more things in the works for the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where do you ride (elevation)? Jackson told me they had issues at higher elevations with mid-range bogging (Colorado 5-12k). They just released an updated flash that's supposed to address this. Curious for feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in upstate NY. Less than 3000ft almost all the time. I do have a trip planned coming in a month to go to Vermont Killington area. This should show up if it still is a problem. I know the latest firmware update said it was to fix that problem

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Hi MDFMac, finding a good tuner with a dyno is the key to avoiding engine and transmission problems. In addition, increasing boost with a supercharger or turbocharger affects the entire system, engine, transmission, timing, fuel. Good to know the current turbo will work up to around 15 PSI with the current fuel system after that fuel pump and injectors, race fuel. Unless you are racing stay below that and you should be fine above that then crank, rods and pistons come into play as well as pump and injectors and rest of the drive train. More torque on rest of system will also find the weak link, -- trans, diff, … Always fun to gain a bit of power, no fun to find the weak points. Have fun and do let us know what you find out and who the tuner is. Who put the tune on your current system?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well unfortunatly there is no info on the internet of people doing what i am going to do. i know there are people that have done it but they are not giving any info out there that i can find. like how much hp till the trans starts to wear out faster or just fail completely. so for now i guess im the tester till some peeps come forward with there fails and accomplishments

·
Registered
95 Posts
So, with the higher power turbo kit, yet to come out, will it use any parts of the kit that’s available now? It would suck to buy a kit now, and then have to buy another complete kit to get more power. Rumor has it you will need bigger injectors and fuel pump. I would assume you could just re-flash the ecu for the higher output. Will the cooler and turbo be re-used? I’m ready to pull the trigger now, but don’t want to waste a lot of money on parts that won’t work on the higher powered system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the kit will be a upgrade for the exsisting kit so you would need to buy the first kit. new kit will have new injectors and fuel pump and some other things

1 - 11 of 11 Posts