Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most others, I didn’t like the Jackson racing turbo air filter location. For the most part, the turbo kit is a good system, except for the air intake location in front of the rear tire. I bought a Donaldson filter housing with 4” inlet and 3.5” outlet. This is 1/2” bigger than the Jackson filter. This should allow for more flow in the future. Plus the filters are $36 and easier to change. Here‘s some pics of the filter and piping. I am getting a 135deg. Elbow for the intake side of the filter for the dunes, and use the Donaldson top spin pre filter for the dirt. It’s a bit bigger than I wanted, but want to protect the turbo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice job! The air filter set up with the Jackson kit is one of the reasons that I'm waiting to purchase one, along with the inability to use an aftermarket exhaust. This addresses the first concern.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Nice job! The air filter set up with the Jackson kit is one of the reasons that I'm waiting to purchase one, along with the inability to use an aftermarket exhaust. This addresses the first concern.
I am not sure why they did not address both of these issues first. A supercharger or turbo does not care or know what exhaust it is connected to anyway. Better exhaust flow and intake is a plus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am not sure why they did not address both of these issues first. A supercharger or turbo does not care or know what exhaust it is connected to anyway. Better exhaust flow and intake is a plus.
I believe it's all to do with emissions certification and California especially, at least for the exhaust. The stock muffler has a catalytic converter inside believe, I'm not sure about the aftermarket, but I don't know that for sure.
The air filter is absolutely silly, it's a piss poor design, on both Honda and Jackson part. I'm using a KWT particle separator and it works great, and when I get the turbo I will be using it on that as well.
They are supposed to be coming out with a competition kit, that's what I'll be getting. It's not that I race or anything, but I'd like the option of an exhaust that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right about the stock muffler. I’m surprised that california hasn’t determined that catalytic converters cause cancer, or they have and aren’t telling us, cuz we all know everything causes cancer in California. From talking to Jackson, the race kit will be an add on to the existing kit, so they will make you buy both from my understanding. Wish I could have bought mine without the air filter. If anyone wants a spare Jackson filter and housing (never used) let me know. I will make you a deal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda does make a special talon just for Californians, that’s for sure. The other brands probably have to also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts