Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Talon R LV
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering about a good jack for that dreaded moment. I have the tusk scissors jack and what a pain in the #ss to use especially the rear with all the weight. Thought some could chime in with their thoughts and recommendations....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the same jack. Used it once in sandy conditions and quickly realized not to put a large rock under it. When trying to lift the back of my R from a relatively "flat" jack position it is almost impossible. I replaced the large rock with a smaller one so as to start from a more raised jack position and it was much easier, although stillnnot what I would call "easy."

I got it to work this way without too much difficulty so did not replace it, and I do like its size, ease to carry and reliable mount. Sorry I don't have a recommendation for a different one, but am also interested in what suggestions others have.

·
Registered
2021 Halon 1000x-4 Fox Live Valve
29 Posts
I have this one. Jack daddy. Haven't had to use it & hopefully I won't, but the concept is really neat and it stores on the cage out of the way.
You can see it in the photo. Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 Honda Talon R LV
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think considering the costs the old school screw jack is looking pretty attractive. A friend of mine found one that is a screw jack with a gear reduction unit. Real easy to crank up...No brand name on it and he found it in his father inlaws work shop..No history beyond that..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I actually have a piece of 6" square tubing that I tapped to match the bottom of the Tusk Jack. I store it on the flat area beside the motor on passenger side using the same holes in the tube. That gives you a stable base that lets you go high enough to get my R off the ground.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Talon R LV
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually have a piece of 6" square tubing that I tapped to match the bottom of the Tusk Jack. I store it on the flat area beside the motor on passenger side using the same holes in the tube. That gives you a stable base that lets you go high enough to get my R off the ground.
Didn’t you post a picture of your mount sometime back?

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
94 Posts
I have a scissor jack that has a mount for the frame. I carry a 20 amp drill driver with a 1/2 inch socket driver. Works great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
super pricey but when I was on a trip a month or so back, leader had one of these. It was super handy. They do make a manual version too I think

The Electric Jack
Hey bjniceguy! Thank you for plugging our Electric Jack! While they are a little pricey, these jacks are 100% American made (both Manual and Electric) here is a couple of videos of our jacks in action.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Talon R LV
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice jacks but looking for a real affordable choice and compact would be more appealing. I used my last one once in 3 years and it was a challenge jacking up the rear. As I mentioned earlier my buddy had the gear reduction unit and I watched his in action very easy to use.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
173 Posts
I would like to use a Hi Lift jack. It would easily work in the front, but not on the rear or side. Ideal thing would be to just jack up the whole side, but there isn't anywhere I have access on my 2 seater. My brother in law has a 4 seater and by opening the rear door, he can get to the frame rail. Nice thing about the Hi Lift is that in a pinch it can be adapted to work as a winch (it is tedious however).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ended up getting the jack daddy , pretty solid mounting , only thing concerning me is the nubs sticking out in front of the rear wheels. Time will tell if they get damamged

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a scissor jack that has a mount for the frame. I carry a 20 amp drill driver with a 1/2 inch socket driver. Works great.
I too carry a 20v impact gun, Sawzall with 12" pruning blade, and made an adapter with jumper clips in case the battery dies. I've only had to use the Sawzall so far but it saved our asses a few times in the Colorado mountains. That 12" pruning blade makes a decent ad hoc chainsaw for clearing fallen trees that are too large or tangled to winch out of the way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts