Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always loved Honda as a brand. I recently had a rzr xp 1000 non turbo. It had a bunch of aftermarkets on it including a clutch kit. I want to plow my driveway this winter and felt that the rzr probably wasn’t best suited for it. I listed it for sale and sold it. Now I’m trying to figure out what’s next. I was considering a general but love my sport side by sides. The talon intrigued me because it’s not a cvt with a belt (which concerned me with plowing and slippage), so I don’t have to worry about that with the talon. I’ve seen people plow with them on YouTube. I live in “upstate” NY so we don’t get a ton of snow like the farther north states but we get enough depending on the year. What do you guys think? There’s a used 1000r locally for $18,000. 1000 miles, looks very clean and cared for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buy it! You’ll love it and you won’t need to worry about stressing the drive train by simply plowing snow. My brothers talon has pulled 2 Polaris tied to each other out the mud. That’s towing plus extra load of mud/trail/water. Honda is king and i don’t have any bias to it. I’ve had a Yamaha yxz, honda talon, and bad ass can am x3 fully loaded. And I’m having trouble finding another 4 seater talon cause that’s it. Talon is the one to have and keep. My buddy totaled my last one if not i would of never got rid of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’ve always loved Honda as a brand. I recently had a rzr xp 1000 non turbo. It had a bunch of aftermarkets on it including a clutch kit. I want to plow my driveway this winter and felt that the rzr probably wasn’t best suited for it. I listed it for sale and sold it. Now I’m trying to figure out what’s next. I was considering a general but love my sport side by sides. The talon intrigued me because it’s not a cvt with a belt (which concerned me with plowing and slippage), so I don’t have to worry about that with the talon. I’ve seen people plow with them on YouTube. I live in “upstate” NY so we don’t get a ton of snow like the farther north states but we get enough depending on the year. What do you guys think? There’s a used 1000r locally for $18,000. 1000 miles, looks very clean and cared for.
I would get a General XP. A Talon R doesn't seem right for upstate NY and plowing snow but that's just me. The General XP is universally regarded as the best Sport/utility machine. It's just as fast as a Talon, narrower for tight trails, sealed better, etc.

My dad plows with his Pioneer 700 but it's only a couple times a year in N Arizona.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
First off, $18,000 for an R with only 1000 miles is a good price (at least around the West it is)!

I professionally plowed snow for many years with multiple vehicles. There is a right type of vehicle for each type job. We used single cab/short bed units for residential and small jobs and crew cab/long bed for larger parking lots, malls, etc.

Fast forward 25 years and I no longer plow snow but I built a plow unit out of a Yamaha Rhino. That machine has a super tight turning radius and plowed small residential driveways and sidewalks like nothing else around. I sold it and will not even try to plow my residential driveway with my R. I use my lawn tractor now and it actually works pretty good.

The Talon will hold up just fine but be warned the R has a horrible turning radius and will suck at plowing tight areas and the X isn't much better. If you are occasionally plowing a long driveway then you should be OK. If your driveway is a small residential or you are doing multiple jobs, you may want to consider something else.

In other words, if you are buying a SxS for mainly play and will occasionally plow a long driveway, the Talon would suffice. If you are buying the SxS to mainly plowing snow and other utility uses and will occasionally go riding, then the Talon is not a good choice. Even split use between the 2 makes that Talon a poor choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off, $18,000 for an R with only 1000 miles is a good price (at least around the West it is)!

I professionally plowed snow for many years with multiple vehicles. There is a right type of vehicle for each type job. We used single cab/short bed units for residential and small jobs and crew cab/long bed for larger parking lots, malls, etc.

Fast forward 25 years and I no longer plow snow but I built a plow unit out of a Yamaha Rhino. That machine has a super tight turning radius and plowed small residential driveways and sidewalks like nothing else around. I sold it and will not even try to plow my residential driveway with my R. I use my lawn tractor now and it actually works pretty good.

The Talon will hold up just fine but be warned the R has a horrible turning radius and will suck at plowing tight areas and the X isn't much better. If you are occasionally plowing a long driveway then you should be OK. If your driveway is a small residential or you are doing multiple jobs, you may want to consider something else.

In other words, if you are buying a SxS for mainly play and will occasionally plow a long driveway, the Talon would suffice. If you are buying the SxS to mainly plowing snow and other utility uses and will occasionally go riding, then the Talon is not a good choice. Even split use between the 2 makes that Talon a poor choice.
My driveway is pretty straight and long. It has one little pull off turn around area but otherwise straight. It wouldn’t require much turning, at least not tight turning.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A friend just bought a Polaris General Deluxe 4 seater with all the add ons. The dealer pretty much insisted he also buy two spare belts, and showed him how to change them. Hmmmmm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.