Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m from NY, looking at a talon R. I’m worried that it may be too wide for the trails around here. As far as I know there’s no restrictions at the parks and state land “close” to me. Just worried that it may be too wide. My previous side by side was a rzr xp1000 which is 64” wide, I did have an aftermarket set of 4+3 wheels on there which did make it wider. I presume it would be similar to the width of the talon. Has anyone from the east coast, specifically the northeast had an issue with the talon r’s width?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m from NY, looking at a talon R. I’m worried that it may be too wide for the trails around here. As far as I know there’s no restrictions at the parks and state land “close” to me. Just worried that it may be too wide. My previous side by side was a rzr xp1000 which is 64” wide, I did have an aftermarket set of 4+3 wheels on there which did make it wider. I presume it would be similar to the width of the talon. Has anyone from the east coast, specifically the northeast had an issue with the talon r’s width?
Im in socal and I run my R on all the trails and canyons out here. No problems. Just FTY a Jeep Wrangler on stock tires is 74" wide

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't think the width will be too much of an issue, it will be the shit turning radius of the R (and the X for that matter). None of the Talon models have a very good turning radius but the R and 4 seater are by far a couple of the worst on the market and the X isn't much better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the width will be too much of an issue, it will be the shit turning radius of the R (and the X for that matter). None of the Talon models have a very good turning radius but the R and 4 seater are by far a couple of the worst on the market and the X isn't much better.
I’m curious how bad it is. My xp 1000 I had prior imo had a very poor turning radius.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Talon X = 17.7 feet
RZR XP 1000 = 18 feet.
Talon R = 21.3 feet

Yes, it's that bad. That is why the R is not too popular back east. Out in the wide open west, they are usable but 3 point turns are still popular :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
NE Pennsylvania here, 2 seat X - didn't get the R because some of the DCNR trails have 65" bollards to pass thru. 90% of the other riding we do the R would be just fine.

Just spent a weekend at Hatfield-Mcoy, no 2 or 3 point turns on the tight switchbacks. Had to wait for every 4 seater to do the 3 point thing at a hard turn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NE Pennsylvania here, 2 seat X - didn't get the R because some of the DCNR trails have 65" bollards to pass thru. 90% of the other riding we do the R would be just fine.

Just spent a weekend at Hatfield-Mcoy, no 2 or 3 point turns on the tight switchbacks. Had to wait for every 4 seater to do the 3 point thing at a hard turn.
Where do you ride in PA?

·
Registered
363 Posts
gray water spots and runs after the machine is washed, nothing a can of Pledge furniture polish can't take care of,,,just a pita. I spray the inner wheel wells and engine down with PAM spray as well, makes clean up a little easier except when wifey finds out I stole her stuff from the pantry.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
I am out west, but we do a great deal of narrow mountain trails (eg. old mining roads). My X with aftermarket tires/rims is about 66.5", and frankly when I am hanging off-camber on the side of a hill with a 1,000' drop off, 10' wide wouldn't seem like enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am out west, but we do a great deal of narrow mountain trails (eg. old mining roads). My X with aftermarket tires/rims is about 66.5", and frankly when I am hanging off-camber on the side of a hill with a 1,000' drop off, 10' wide wouldn't seem like enough.
I can only imagine! I haven’t experienced anything like that out east yet. But there’s always the possibility. I think I’m going to wing it and try the R. It’s a good deal that I don’t want to pass up. If it’s too wide I’m sure I can sell it without much loss, or at least I hope I can lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ride Hatfield McCoy (WV) and Spearhead (VA). I had an R but quickly traded for an X. The R turning radius did it for me. Of course it depends on which of the trails you ride. Some have way too many switchbacks while some only have one or two that require 3-point (or more) turns when you have a 21' turning radius.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I went ahead and purchased the R. 2019, All original, 400 miles on it. Extended warranty until Dec of 2022. Got it for $18,000. I absolutely loved it on the test ride. Throttle is definitely touchy but being able to actually shift is a dream.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well I went ahead and purchased the R. 2019, All original, 400 miles on it. Extended warranty until Dec of 2022. Got it for $18,000. I absolutely loved it on the test ride. Throttle is definitely touchy but being able to actually shift is a dream.
The throttles are very touchy, especially in the bouncy rocky type stuff! I rest my right foot tight up against the the wall of the transmission tunnel, and just rock my foot gently down against the throttle. With my foot resting against the transmission tunnel wall I can keep my foot from bouncing so much and get a better throttle response.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.