Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just got a little over 100 miles on my 2020 Honda talon 1000 X. I was going to do the first service. It says you are supposed to inspect valve clearance. The dealer made it sound like they absolutely have to pull the valve cover and inspect with feeler gauge. In the owner’s Manual under note 1 it says to inspect valve clearance as needed, if engine is noisy. My engine is not noisy sounds like the day I bought it. The only video that shows how to do it the guy ended up not having to adjust any of the valves. Did anyone else pull the cover and manually inspect valve clearance? Has anybody found the valve Clarence was off? I was just wondering if I would need to go through all the work of inspecting them if they’re not noisy. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I watched two videos and both went thru all of that and neither needed adjusting.
my Mechanic friend thought that adjusting your valves at 100 miles was crazy!
we listened to mine and decided to wait, I have over 800 miles and it sounds fine, but will tear apart and check soon, probably at 1000.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just bought a Talon yesterday. The salesperson and the mechanic that checked it out told me they do not recommend doing anything until the valves get noisy.
I agree that the 100 mile check is overkill but if it isn't done (at the dealer) will this give them reason to void the 12 month warranty if some other engine issue arises??
Both the owner's manual and the service manual are very clear about this. Both specifically say...

* Inspect Valve Clearance at 100, 2400, etc. (Note 1)

Note 1 Inspect valve clearance as needed, if engine is noisy.

It is obvious when they get noisy and any good mechanic can tell when it is time to adjust the valves on the Talon. Like clockwork, at .03mm lose, the valves start to rattle. The Uni-Cam motor is notorious for staying in adjustment but once in a while they need adjusting.

I have looked at a dozen and only had to adjust 2 so far. One had about 5,000 miles and the other had 16,000. Both needed a couple intake valves shimmed so the cam had to come out and takes 2-3 hours. If the Intakes are OK and you just need to adjust the exhaust, the entire job is about 1.5 hour.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello all, I just got a little over 100 miles on my 2020 Honda talon 1000 X. I was going to do the first service. It says you are supposed to inspect valve clearance. The dealer made it sound like they absolutely have to pull the valve cover and inspect with feeler gauge. In the owner’s Manual under note 1 it says to inspect valve clearance as needed, if engine is noisy. My engine is not noisy sounds like the day I bought it. The only video that shows how to do it the guy ended up not having to adjust any of the valves. Did anyone else pull the cover and manually inspect valve clearance? Has anybody found the valve Clarence was off? I was just wondering if I would need to go through all the work of inspecting them if they’re not noisy. Thanks for your thoughts.
Took mine in for the 100 mile first Service To Honda And you know as well it’s pretty expensive they told me they checked it they never did was kind of pissed spending that much money and they didn’t even check it I should’ve just did it myself it’s pretty easy if you know about 4 strokes ! Honda is pretty strict on the first service because of the warranty ! Only reason I took it in

·
Registered
2020 1000R
8 Posts
I put a little dab of adhesive on a rear corner of the valve cover before I dropped my 1000R off for its 100-hour service.
Yes, I have trust issues with dealership service.
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Auto part Automotive fuel system

Before "adjustment"
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior
Brown Sleeve Receipt Font Material property

After "adjustment" ------ $379.50 for the "adjustment"

Yes, I got a refund and will do my own servicing from now on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.