Honda Talon Forum banner

Internal Gear Reduction

33K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  jon197719911989 
#1 ·
I am looking for any and all information on an Internal Gear Reduction unit for the Honda Talon 1000. So far all I have found is an Internal Gear Reduction unit form Reduction Boss Machining at 25%. Anyone have any experience with gear reductions? I am not looking for the ones that are at the wheels as they expand the width several inches and the trails I ride on are very tight now. The pricing looks to be about $1200 for parts and will require core charges. I have helped do a Polaris replacing reverse chain, all new seals and bearings and installed gear reduction at same time. I think the Talon will be a bigger challenge. In any case, if you know or have any experience let everyone know.

#3 ·
That would be nice, for now I went ahead and purchased the MPH correction module (fixed and no adjustments) from the only company that makes an IGR. Am on the list for the parts but that will be another month or so. Also started working with a company that makes the speedohealer to come up with one for the Talon that can be updated for future tire changes as well. Comes from a motorcycle company and hope to have that finished Monday. FYI, the speed sensor is located on the 4 wheel drive clutch. In any case I will post as I go forward with the IGR project. Very difficult to get accurate information for now.

#5 ·
Update, I am first on the list and the parts will be available the first of March. I think there are two Talon 1000 R already, but may just be that mine will be the first Talon 1000 X with the IGR. Mine will be a 25% set of geare. The primary reason is that I am not shifting into 6 the gear in high. Not such a big deal as the Talon is still running 70 MPH in 5th. Think this reduction is correct as the tuner gives about 11% boost in HP and Torque, just a bit shy of enough torque to spin the 35" Warriors. This should truly be felt in low and with another gear available I am interested to see the final results. The initial parts price is $950 and Reduction Boss Machining is the company that produces the gears.

#8 ·
I think you are correct at the MPH correction turned out to be +25.1 almost spot on. Can.t wight to see the kind of acceleration and I am hoping not too much drop in MPH in High. Low should realy shine in the mud! (If that is possisble):)

#7 ·
Another update: After much grinding of my teeth I have decided to get Reds Off-Road to to the installation. Fortunate they are located about 3 to 4 hours north of my location. Looking over the maintenance manual you do not have to remove the engine from the car but there is a lot to removing the engine spacer. It is one of the parts that is machined to provide clearance for the new clutch hub and associated gears. Just too many O-rings and small parts. Process takes a day if everything goes well and longer is one of the small parts or O-rings is damaged.

#13 ·
Reduction Boss is the only company I am aware of that makes the parts kit. They modify the engine spacer to increase case clearance, make the smaller gears and modify the clutch housing. The kit I ordered will result in a 25% reduction. After install I will evaluate portals 15% to gain 4 inches height and possibly larger tires.

#14 ·
SuperATV offers a frame stiffener and I recommend adding it with any big wheel additions even if you do not use portals or IGRs. They are inexpensive compared to many of the add on items and will help protect your frame. Just a bit of insurance for the extra stress placed on your frame.

#16 ·
Just confirmed install. Jeremy (Reduction Boss) will have the parts sent to Landon (Red's Off-Road) and the install is scheduled for the first week in March. I look forward to getting this project finished and getting to the first test run with the new IGR 25%. I am expecting to get sixth gear back in high and hope to retain the top end at 60 MPH or more.

#19 ·
Just a little, frame stiffener should get in tomorrow and IGS is mostly paid for. I will see how the performance is and figure out what I need to do next. Seems like there is an never ending list. On thing the turbo is a no go with the limited tire combinations, location of intake, and location of intercooler. Portals? Upgrade suspension Fox Live Valve not even sure if they do that until 2021 for 1000x. SuperATV has monster mud tires -- 42s and 44s wonder what that would take. Oh well Linda will have to put her stamp of approval = new dress, makeover, Dooney and Bourke ...

#20 ·
Frame Stiffener arrived and it is definitely a stronger part. I will put it on in the morning and get the talon ready for the trip to Red's Off-Road on Monday for the IGR installation. This part is a must if you go with bigger/heaver tiers.

#22 ·
Droped off Talon at Red's Off-Road. If you go there they are located at the end of the road half way down the grass runway in a hanger. Super nice folks and a family shop. Always like to support family businesses. They an also get SuperSTV products but their specialty is fixing and modifying all types of ATVs and Side by Sides. Super for anyone in Florida.

#24 ·
Just a couple of pictures of the folks from Red's Off-Road that installed the IGR. Yup on an active Air Field.
Lindsey and Landon did a great job.
Thanks for serving in the Navy. And the crop duster in the background is getting ready to take off. Red's Off-Road 904-347-1335 Hastings Florida redsoffroad@gmail.com. Super nice family small business -- this is all about the American Dream -- support them and they can get any items from SuperATV as well. Shoot if you purchase portals from them (SuperATV) they might install them for free if you ask nicely! Super thanks to Jeremy at Reduction Boss and Andy (PwrTune) as well a super team of professionals to work with.

Just to let you know it takes a month to order the parts and Red's needs your Talon for a week after the parts arrive. They are super to work with and customer service is the best!

#25 · (Edited)
Super test today I did two days of mini testing and today put 4 and a half hours on the Talon. Mostly trail riding as the water holes are drying up this time of year. The main reason for the extended test was to figure out a setup up procedure for the Speedohealers. A true combined effort with Red Off-road, Jeremy and others. The test that worked was first installing the speedohealer and then programming it. That worked well for all three tests. I did run into a heating problem on the second mini test but that was a result of a mud caked radiator. Cleaned it up and also replaced the coolant with Engine Ice and all worked well today it was 90 degrees plus and high humidity. I will do an additional test in a few weeks testing with the third speedohealer to correct the MPH indicator. For now everything is working and the 35s are really digging in. Thanks to all that helped.

#27 ·
The Internal Gear Reduction is perfectly matched for the 35 inch tires the end result was very little reduction in power with all of the engine mods and the extra height was super. I have now added Portals and thinking of adding mud only tires to complete the build. The option of having two different tire sets will definitely make the Talon more responsive regardless of the type of riding it has to tackle. Primarily designed as a rock crawler and for water and muddling switching the tires will give me a bit of an edge in both of the situations. I have changed oil and filters on the first run and replaced the DCT filter on the second as it was fine with no particles I will run a couple of times before I change the oil again. The Talon is truly morphing into a different machine and hard to compare it with a X or R. In any case it suits my riding style to a T. Below is a picture of the DCT filter after the second run. One caution, I did lose top gear in high the engine did not have enough torque to do the job with all the added weight but it was still hitting 70 MPH. If you are not going to add Portals consider a higher ratio then 25 and you will be fine.

#28 ·
After rolling with the IGR and Portals I love the combination. 25% IGR and 30% Portals. I like to climb and tackle new obstacles and the combination does a good job of that. At the same time I can still hit 50 MPH and that is plenty fast for the locations I ride. It is truly all about how you ride and this Talon is exactly suited for my driving style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.