Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experiencing an intermittent failure of the Electronic Power Steering. It has never failed while running, but only when the engine is turned off and restarted. It first appeared after turning off the engine following a moderately deep water crossing, at moderate speed. I am not actually sure the water shorted something out, but that is at least a distinct possibility. Unfortunately, it happened near the beginning of a 100+ mile ride in steep mountainous terrain with a fair number of technical rock sections. Believe me, you don't want to go rock crawling without EPS!

Anybody else had this issue? The water thing is suspicious, but even after plenty of time to dry out, it happened again several times. It still has a couple months left on warranty, so thinking of taking it to the dealer to see if it threw a code. Because it is intermittent, that tells me that the unit itself is still good, and the problem is probably an electronic one somewhere.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Experiencing an intermittent failure of the Electronic Power Steering. It has never failed while running, but only when the engine is turned off and restarted. It first appeared after turning off the engine following a moderately deep water crossing, at moderate speed. I am not actually sure the water shorted something out, but that is at least a distinct possibility. Unfortunately, it happened near the beginning of a 100+ mile ride in steep mountainous terrain with a fair number of technical rock sections. Believe me, you don't want to go rock crawling without EPS!

Anybody else had this issue? The water thing is suspicious, but even after plenty of time to dry out, it happened again several times. It still has a couple months left on warranty, so thinking of taking it to the dealer to see if it threw a code. Because it is intermittent, that tells me that the unit itself is still good, and the problem is probably an electronic one somewhere.
You should check the battery terminals to make sure they are tight.

Then check the grounds on the left side of the engine and frame and make sure they are tight.

Lastly, check the big ground bundle under the rubber mat that is under the driver seat. Make sure there is no corrosion and that the bolt is good and tight.

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
38 Posts
You should always consider that earnings per share (EPS) is cyclical in nature...ohh nevermind...electronic power steering:whistle:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I avoid deep water crossings, gremlins swim in most water crossings and get into you machine there! :oops:

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The water crossing wasn't particularly deep, and I took it at only moderate speed. It gets wetter than that when I wash it!
All the grounds and wiring harnesses are good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts