·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologies for the volume being jacked, I hate it when music is super loud but you can’t here what the person is saying. Go ahead and cuss me out, it’s well deserved 👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hazard:

The vehicle’s intake funnel band screw can loosen and enter the engine through the intake funnel and cause sudden engine failure. If this occurs, it could result in a loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash or injury.

Remedy: Repair

Recall Date: March 09, 2022

Units:About 32,000

I hope mine isn't the usual but my intake screws weren't even finger tight when the machine was new. this was checked before 5 miles. lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
FYI - for what it is worth - my dealer has led me to beleive that it is the clamps BELOW the air box where
the intake attaches to the engine. NOT the clamps within the air box. I'm having mine inspected on Wednesday, April 20th. If I find out anything different - I'll let you know.
somewhere along the line I got the same impression, I checked the clamps at the engine and they were tight and the fit was good. Later I learned they were inside the air box so I checked those, they were only finger tight. the ones near the engine I doubt can enter the engine whereas the air box clamp screws can enter the engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FYI - for what it is worth - my dealer has led me to beleive that it is the clamps BELOW the air box where
the intake attaches to the engine. NOT the clamps within the air box. I'm having mine inspected on Wednesday, April 20th. If I find out anything different - I'll let you know.
Your dealer is misinformed. It is in fact the clamps inside the air box. Make sure that you check their work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Hope you’re right ! He is sending a rep to my house Wednesday and I’ll watch what he does. I have tightened the clamps inside the air box already. I have read that the issue is dirt and dust infiltrating the combustion chambers - not necessarily screws or nuts. I’ll post what he says - this rep has worked on my Talon before and did good work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Hope you’re right ! He is sending a rep to my house Wednesday and I’ll watch what he does. I have tightened the clamps inside the air box already. I have read that the issue is dirt and dust infiltrating the combustion chambers - not necessarily screws or nuts. I’ll post what he says - this rep has worked on my Talon before and did good work.
Nogrey
You may want to review Off Roads post and his experience- I’d rather be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
131 Posts
The recall is on the bolts/clamps inside the air box, NOT the ones below it on the boots leading to the engine.

If you review the 2 or 3 threads about the recall on this forum, you will see that Nogrey is correct.

That said, it only takes a couple minutes to check both sets of bolts/clamps (all 6 of them).

The 2 in the air box--remove the front bed cover and air box lid cover and look on the left side around the "airhorns," velocity stacks essentially. Spec is a 10mm gap between the two flanges. If loose, tighten and deform the threads with vice grips or the like. May also want to apply some Hondalok/Loctite or RTV to the threads as an extra precaution.

The 4 clamps/bolts on the intake boots that you are talking about can be accessed from the driver's side rear, above the engine. The only tool needed is a Phillips screwdriver--just make sure all are tight.

You do not need a Honda tech to come out to check these. Just a Phillips screwdriver, possibly a pair of vice grips, and about 10 minutes. Photos, videos, the actual recall and links to it are in the other threads if you care to do more research on the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Follow up - after reading everyones posts - I checked all the clamps on the air horns - both within the air box and those below it (those attached to the engine). Mine were all pretty much fine - although I was able to tighten the ones inside the air box quite a bit.
Yesterday - the Honda service rep came out to do the Recall Check. The only clamps he checked were the ones inside the air box - not those below it. So, it appears Nogrey and Togr are correct on their assesment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.