Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding out at Ocotillo Wells Saturday, a very dusty area in the So. Calif. low desert. We were about 5 miles from camp, when the engine started acting up. It would start, but when I put it in gear is would stall. Could only get going if I really carefully eased onto the throttle. I went back and took a close look around the engine. Saw that the front cylinders plastic funnel tube that comes down from the airbox had come slightly off. The band that should have been holding it in place was loose, and had no screw or nut on it. One of the other bands down there on the throttle body intake was loose and had no screw or nut either, and another one had a screw and nut but was completely loose. These other two tubes were still in place, and did not appear to have sucked unfiltered air like the other one did.

We were out in the badlands alone at sunset, so no way I could have gotten my full size truck back in there to tow it home. (And I have a bad back, and walking 5 miles would have killed me.) So, I got it going and limped home. Actually, once I got moving it didn't run badly, but about 1/2 mile from camp the clutches began to slip. Had to push it the last few hundred yards, back to the toy hauler.

Here is my theory of what happened: I had some warranty work done when it was new. I think the tech had the airbox off to more easily get at the engine, and when he replaced it he failed to retighten the bands. With all the vibration over time (~1,300 miles), the nuts fell off and eventually the funnel tube worked its way loose. In any case, nobody else had messed with anything on that part of the engine since then, so there aren't any other suspects to blame. The only other theory would be that they were never tightened properly at the factory.

The dealership is Chaparral Motorsports, and I hope they will stand behind their techs mistake! I do have a "mechanical failure" 5 year extended warranty, so maybe that will help. I dropped it off yesterday, so once they tear it down we will see what the real damage is. In any case, they said it is difficult to get parts right now, so things aren't looking very rosy for my beloved machine!

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's not good. I hate to hear that. Dirt and dust is a huge fear in any off road vehicle. I have been trying to be good about adding that to my checklist before a ride. fuel, oil, water, and filter. Adding air box boots and axle boots on this machine. I hope all goes well on your issue, it's a shame we have too, and are expected too, inspect a "professionals" work, when we pick up anything we have worked on. Big game of CYA!

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am puzzled at why the clutch began slipping. No doubt the rings are shot, and perhaps it passed dirt or raw fuel into the oil. The gas might have thinned the oil, and since the engine and transmission share the same oil, what happened to one can happen to the other. Pulling out the dipstick, the oil did have a kind of gassy smell. (I can't figure out why they don't separate the engine and trans oils, like they do on some of the dirt bikes and quads.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure, could be the PCM reacting to the engine power failure. Dirt could be messing with the whole system. Curious to know how much dirt got held up in the engine filter and the trans filter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Riding out at Ocotillo Wells Saturday, a very dusty area in the So. Calif. low desert. We were about 5 miles from camp, when the engine started acting up. It would start, but when I put it in gear is would stall. Could only get going if I really carefully eased onto the throttle. I went back and took a close look around the engine. Saw that the front cylinders plastic funnel tube that comes down from the airbox had come slightly off. The band that should have been holding it in place was loose, and had no screw or nut on it. One of the other bands down there on the throttle body intake was loose and had no screw or nut either, and another one had a screw and nut but was completely loose. These other two tubes were still in place, and did not appear to have sucked unfiltered air like the other one did.

We were out in the badlands alone at sunset, so no way I could have gotten my full size truck back in there to tow it home. (And I have a bad back, and walking 5 miles would have killed me.) So, I got it going and limped home. Actually, once I got moving it didn't run badly, but about 1/2 mile from camp the clutches began to slip. Had to push it the last few hundred yards, back to the toy hauler.

Here is my theory of what happened: I had some warranty work done when it was new. I think the tech had the airbox off to more easily get at the engine, and when he replaced it he failed to retighten the bands. With all the vibration over time (~1,300 miles), the nuts fell off and eventually the funnel tube worked its way loose. In any case, nobody else had messed with anything on that part of the engine since then, so there aren't any other suspects to blame. The only other theory would be that they were never tightened properly at the factory.

The dealership is Chaparral Motorsports, and I hope they will stand behind their techs mistake! I do have a "mechanical failure" 5 year extended warranty, so maybe that will help. I dropped it off yesterday, so once they tear it down we will see what the real damage is. In any case, they said it is difficult to get parts right now, so things aren't looking very rosy for my beloved machine!
Sadly, I just watched a video this morning where a member had experienced the same exact failure for the exact same reasons. The band(s) on the throttle body boots that connect the air box to the engine had not been properly installed from the factory. Honda is standing behind him and is replacing the whole engine. I mentioned in that thread that Honda has used this same type of boot since I was a kid (long, long time) and that I've worked on scores of motorcycles where these bands have come loose over time. Hope they fix your issue, and for everyone else, check those boots and the bands. I checked mine on my first service and they were a smidge loose. Checked them again on my second service and again, a smidge loose. These 2-bangers vibrate a lot all by themselves. Add to that the vibration the machine sees over rough terrain and I'm thinking they should be part of every maintenance check. They will be for me for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.