Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the I-4WD waring light and my local Honda service guy says it's showing a code 7, tires too large. I have 32" tires and big Honda says the fix is to go back to the original 28". I'm not going to do that so does anyone know of programmer that will tell the ECU to stop sending that code? Does HESS or DynoJet have that on there stock flash tuners or is there a custom out there?

·
Registered
276 Posts
If it’s under warranty bug them by dropping it off.

You do have 32’s all around - correct?

My advice is first get the service manual and go from there - hopefully someone will pipe in with a solve as well. There is also some YouTube videos on resetting the light as well.

Is it a live valve model?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Could there be a reason that Honda does not offer the option of 32" tires for the Talon?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it’s under warranty bug them by dropping it off.

You do have 32’s all around - correct?

My advice is first get the service manual and go from there - hopefully someone will pipe in with a solve as well. There is also some YouTube videos on resetting the light as well.

Is it a live valve model?
Still under warranty. 32’s all around. But do you think they would be willing to service it as a warranty issue if I have made that modification to the larger tires? I have a service manual but I haven’t looked into it for this so I will. I have seen the video about resetting that warning light but I haven’t done it because they reset it at the shop. It’s not on now but they warned me that they suspected it would come back on when I reach 19 mph. I’ve been over 30 but still no light. Maybe it’s gone. Yes, fox live valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could there be a reason that Honda does not offer the option of 32" tires for the Talon?
There is a dealership within 100 miles of me that actually puts 32 inch tires on Talons as part of their upgrade packages. We asked them if they had ever had this trouble and they said no.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am getting the I-4WD waring light and my local Honda service guy says it's showing a code 7, tires too large. I have 32" tires and big Honda says the fix is to go back to the original 28". I'm not going to do that so does anyone know of programmer that will tell the ECU to stop sending that code? Does HESS or DynoJet have that on there stock flash tuners or is there a custom out there?
This is all pure BS. The Talon's PCM and i4WD computer have no idea what size tires you have on the machine. Plenty of folks have 30's and 32's without any problems other than the power they consume. I have an R with 16,000 miles and 32's and has never set a code. I have another with 3,500 miles with 30's and has only set a i4WD code once when I broke the RF knuckle and had to tow it with only 3 wheels on the ground (it didn't like that one bit).

i4WD code 7-1 simply means there is a tire size mismatch detected. The PCM isn't even smart enough to distinguish which tire is not matched. One of the 4 tires is a different size than the other 3. It detects this from the wheel speed sensors and if one of the fronts or the rears are not turning at the same speed (within a certain tolerance) it will set code 7-1.

This can happen for several reasons...
  • You had a flat. The code will not reset itself, even after you fix the flat. You have to reset or no 4WD. You can reset it on the trail with a PCM jumper and the right procedure.
  • One tire is larger than the others or the fronts are not the same size as the rears.
  • Uneven tire pressure or too much front/rear pressure difference.
  • Bad speed sensor (the Talon has 5). There isn't really a difference in tire size but one of the sensors is sending incorrect data to the control unit. I have seen several Talons with loose plugs (of all kinds). It would not surprise me one bit if one of your speed sensors was not properly plugged in and causing a code.
If all your tires are the exact same size on the exact same width rims, start by making sure your tire pressures is correct. You can run less pressure in the front because it front is lighter. I use the 45/55% rule for my pressures. I run my dirt tires at 10 front and 12 rear while trail riding and lower down to 5 front and 6 rear for rock crawling without any issues. I run my paddles at 5 front and 6 rear all day long, wide open throttle mostly in i4WD at 50 MPH without any issues.

If you run all same size tires on stock rims, you will have a little issue with the fronts being larger than the rears because the front wheels are narrower. You may have to play with tire pressures and measure the circumference at different pressures if this is your setup.

Larger tires can mess with the shift points and that is it. I believe Hess has a tire size compensation for their tunes, DynoJet does NOT. But, the DCT adapts to your tires and the way you drive. Give it a little time (a few hundred miles) and see if it corrects itself. Most with 30's and many with 32's find the DCT adjusts just fine and no tune is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is all pure BS. The Talon's PCM and i4WD computer have no idea what size tires you have on the machine. Plenty of folks have 30's and 32's without any problems other than the power they consume. I have an R with 16,000 miles and 32's and has never set a code. I have another with 3,500 miles with 30's and has only set a i4WD code once when I broke the RF knuckle and had to tow it with only 3 wheels on the ground (it didn't like that one bit).

i4WD code 7-1 simply means there is a tire size mismatch detected. The PCM isn't even smart enough to distinguish which tire is not matched. One of the 4 tires is a different size than the other 3. It detects this from the wheel speed sensors and if one of the fronts or the rears are not turning at the same speed (within a certain tolerance) it will set code 7-1.

This can happen for several reasons...
  • You had a flat. The code will not reset itself, even after you fix the flat. You have to reset or no 4WD. You can reset it on the trail with a PCM jumper and the right procedure.
  • One tire is larger than the others or the fronts are not the same size as the rears.
  • Uneven tire pressure or too much front/rear pressure difference.
  • Bad speed sensor (the Talon has 5). There isn't really a difference in tire size but one of the sensors is sending incorrect data to the control unit. I have seen several Talons with loose plugs (of all kinds). It would not surprise me one bit if one of your speed sensors was not properly plugged in and causing a code.
If all your tires are the exact same size on the exact same width rims, start by making sure your tire pressures is correct. You can run less pressure in the front because it front is lighter. I use the 45/55% rule for my pressures. I run my dirt tires at 10 front and 12 rear while trail riding and lower down to 5 front and 6 rear for rock crawling without any issues. I run my paddles at 5 front and 6 rear all day long, wide open throttle mostly in i4WD at 50 MPH without any issues.

If you run all same size tires on stock rims, you will have a little issue with the fronts being larger than the rears because the front wheels are narrower. You may have to play with tire pressures and measure the circumference at different pressures if this is your setup.

Larger tires can mess with the shift points and that is it. I believe Hess has a tire size compensation for their tunes, DynoJet does NOT. But, the DCT adapts to your tires and the way you drive. Give it a little time (a few hundred miles) and see if it corrects itself. Most with 30's and many with 32's find the DCT adjusts just fine and no tune is needed.
So what I didn’t say earlier but now I see that it’s a critical issue, is that the front tires were indeed a different size than the rear tires. Of course, they come stock different front from rear. But I ordered the 32s along with rims and only got two of them in ahead of our ride so I moved the factory rear rims/tires up to the front and installed the new 32s on the back. So when I got the second pair in I installed them and now I’m 32‘s all round. Then, the shop reset the trouble light and it hasn’t come back on. Sounds to me like it could be problem solved. Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So what I didn’t say earlier but now I see that it’s a critical issue, is that the front tires were indeed a different size than the rear tires. Of course, they come stock different front from rear. But I ordered the 32s along with rims and only got two of them in ahead of our ride so I moved the factory rear rims/tires up to the front and installed the new 32s on the back. So when I got the second pair in I installed them and now I’m 32‘s all round. Then, the shop reset the trouble light and it hasn’t come back on. Sounds to me like it could be problem solved. Thanks Paul.
That would have been good to know from the start. The stock front and rear tires are different width but they are the exact same circumference so they cover the same amount of ground per revolution. That is what the system looks for.

Your i4WD computer did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do and shut off 4WD to prevent any damage that would have occured with 32's in the back and 28's in the front. Tirw mismatch is not a good thing to do on any 4x4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would have been good to know from the start. The stock front and rear tires are different width but they are the exact same circumference so they cover the same amount of ground per revolution. That is what the system looks for.

Your i4WD computer did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do and shut off 4WD to prevent any damage that would have occured with 32's in the back and 28's in the front. Tirw mismatch is not a good thing to do on any 4x4.
Lesson learned! I have been dreading your response because I thought sure you would throw a dumb a$& in there somewhere. I appreciate your knowledge and not only did the i4WD do what it was supposed to, so did this forum thanks to you! Appreciate you Paul!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi - the dealer is the dumbass - lol.

Whoever doesn’t know, just asks to learn. This is the good part of these forums to get some technical wisdom from those who have been thru it or knows it.

Have to clear thru the bull crap sometimes.

I had a basic P1000 - dealer said it was impossible to add paddle shifters - I bought a paddle shifter assembly from a part out for $60 and an auto manual switch and just connected up from the schematics like the high end pioneers and manual shift worked. It’s already programmed in the CPU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 35’s on mine and been on for about 6 months now with no issues. This past weekend, the bike wouldn’t engage into 4wd and the i4wd light would randomly come on and off. Tire size doesn’t matter in my opinion, buddy with 37’s and another on 40’s. Any ideas of why it wouldn’t engage? My crew leaned towards a bad connection at the switch possibly. We tend to ride pretty deep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts