Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of picking one of these up for this winter and was wondering how people are liking them. I want something that shifts this time so it's between the Talon and the YXZ. Had a YXZ before but it was a clutch, this time I'd go with the paddles. So how do you like it and how do you compare it to the last/other SXS you've had. I use these mainly in the winter so heat coming in from the radiator is a plus to me, how is the heat in the cab?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had both a 16 yxz and a 20 live valve X4. Honestly the yxz is so much more thrilling to drive but the Honda is the better all around machine. Here in Florida we have lots of swamp and mud that i would never be able to get through in my yxz without making lots of adjustments. I recommend the Honda talon for sure but let me give you some of my dislikes for you to consider. I don’t like how tippy they feel and how easy they roll over. I def would never consider buying a 2 seater talon or one without live valve. The 2 seaters feel even tippier than the 4 seaters. The live valve system is amazing 100%. I hear complaints of the stiffness in the talons ride but with my live valve i never felt that way. The OEM tires are 6ply and absolutely terrible.

lets talk about the good. The transmission is great, it always knows exactly where to be. It can ride thru mud very well. The quality feel of everything especially the seats and the 2 inch cage. The rear seats and grab bar for the passengers is a big plus, every passenger I’ve taken loves it and claims it has that roller coaster feel. The Honda is just so much easier to drive than the Yamaha that it really feels like a luxury compared to the yxz.

anyways good luck with your purchase and continue your research. My talon was just totaled and I’m in the market for another since i have all my accessories still. There is a serious supply and demand issue right now so i May have to wait a few months to get another as dealers near aren’t willing to budge. I paid 22,3 for my live valve x4 and was just quoted 26,450 for the last one in south Florida. Dealers had no idea when they’re getting more 4 seaters and Honda kind of has everyone in limbo.
i May consider a new can am just to have more power and I’m seriously addicted to the hobby.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To add to your cab heat question, i ride in 100 degree weather days and i don’t feel it at all. Another good benefit is how easy the radiator is to change and how forward it sits away from the windshield. Unlike a yxz when the rad hits water and it fogs up the windshield, this does not happen in the talon.

·
Premium Member
2020 Honda Talon 1000R
10 Posts
I just had both a 16 yxz and a 20 live valve X4. Honestly the yxz is so much more thrilling to drive but the Honda is the better all around machine. Here in Florida we have lots of swamp and mud that i would never be able to get through in my yxz without making lots of adjustments. I recommend the Honda talon for sure but let me give you some of my dislikes for you to consider. I don’t like how tippy they feel and how easy they roll over. I def would never consider buying a 2 seater talon or one without live valve. The 2 seaters feel even tippier than the 4 seaters. The live valve system is amazing 100%. I hear complaints of the stiffness in the talons ride but with my live valve i never felt that way. The OEM tires are 6ply and absolutely terrible.

lets talk about the good. The transmission is great, it always knows exactly where to be. It can ride thru mud very well. The quality feel of everything especially the seats and the 2 inch cage. The rear seats and grab bar for the passengers is a big plus, every passenger I’ve taken loves it and claims it has that roller coaster feel. The Honda is just so much easier to drive than the Yamaha that it really feels like a luxury compared to the yxz.

anyways good luck with your purchase and continue your research. My talon was just totaled and I’m in the market for another since i have all my accessories still. There is a serious supply and demand issue right now so i May have to wait a few months to get another as dealers near aren’t willing to budge. I paid 22,3 for my live valve x4 and was just quoted 26,450 for the last one in south Florida. Dealers had no idea when they’re getting more 4 seaters and Honda kind of has everyone in limbo.
i May consider a new can am just to have more power and I’m seriously addicted to the hobby.
Just curious, how did you total your four seater? Hopefully no one was hurt. Was it extensive frame damage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just curious, how did you total your four seater? Hopefully no one was hurt. Was it extensive frame damage?
Luckily no one was hurt! It’s a great factory 2 inch cage. We ride on dirt roads in between farms. We went a around a puddle at speed and ended up in some soft soil at a pretty good speed. When the wheel was turned to the right to get back on the dirt path the front driver tire caught a rut and came off the bead. The front end dove and the bike went on the drivers side and slid for a good while. Damage includes the whole front end (very mild front end frame included), whole driver side, rear driver trailing arm was bent inward, front and rear diff showed signs of leaking, all three parts of the cage, and more.

It’s really hard to find a replacement bike now and i have over $3000 in accessories ready to install if i find another 4 seat talon. The wheels were method “bead grip” wheels on mongrel 30 inch tires. I guess I’m just stuck waiting on the 2021s to come out. I’m hoping for an R version of the 4 seater. The extra width would prob help with the tip over feeling these give.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have both a 2017 YXZ SS SE and a Honda Talon. The YXZ is a really cool car and I like it a lot. Best sounding engine in the game in my opinion. The YXZ is like a Tasmanian devil where the Talon is more like a cheetah. The Honda drivetrain with low range I believe is smoother and superior but not by much! I really like having both of them because the YXZ is tons of fun. But if I had to have just one it would be a Honda Talon. The Honda is a complete machine and is so fun to push hard. I feel like stability wise there is no difference to me. Just 2 really awesome machines that I would be happy with either one really!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the Engine & Transmission. But hate the ride to stiff. Wish the wheelbase was a little longer Low range need to be lower gear. 42 mph. In high gear top speed is 72mph My type of riding I am range in low 90 % of the time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thinking of picking one of these up for this winter and was wondering how people are liking them. I want something that shifts this time so it's between the Talon and the YXZ. Had a YXZ before but it was a clutch, this time I'd go with the paddles. So how do you like it and how do you compare it to the last/other SXS you've had. I use these mainly in the winter so heat coming in from the radiator is a plus to me, how is the heat in the cab?
Personally, I think the YXZ just isn’t up to snuff...felt like a tin can compared to the Talon. After driving each, this was an absolute no-brainer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My lovely wife and myself picked up our Talon X4 Live Valve about 2 months ago. Last weekend we trailered it next door to WI from MN and had 100% confirmation that we made the right decision! It is our first SxS, we have rented and driven a handful of SxS and we chose wisely. I did a good amount of research and being a former Honda owner in sport bikes and atv’s was happy to see the sport model! We intended to buy the non live valve because of price, but luckily the dealer had sold out of them and we got a good deal on the live valve.

Pro’s: Suspension is unbelievable, handled everything we’ve thrown at it with comfort. The suspension is extremely confidence inspiring, the body roll is minimal (unless hit hard ruts sideways). Motor is strong and very responsive, no CVT lag to worry about. I am hard pressed to want a lot more, the dunes would be a different story possibly. Fit and finish is typical Honda, excellent. Seats are comfortable and the positioning is excellent. I have no complaints about the stock tires at this time, unlike many others. I will however change them later to one size all around and get a spare. Oh yeah, it also looks FANTASTIC!!!!

Cons: Powder coat could have been better, there are some thin areas and some chips I believe from shipping. Storage is very minimal, however the space throughout the machine is plentiful. Lower doors would have been nice out of the box. The back doors so rattle, I’ll look into it. There is a lot of spacing between the doors and come winter will be hard to reduce air flow once I put lowers and side curtains on. I can correct a lot of any of the little “issues” I have. Oh yeah, I can’t stop buying accessories!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts