Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is mostly for people looking to buy a talon doing some research. I bought a 2019 X last year with all of 2 miles on it. Has over 1k on it now and I gotta say I'm really disappointed with this machine. I'm definitely glad I'm not making payments on this rig to say the least. The air box design is the worst design for an off road rig. The final straw for me was this last weekend. I have had to change the filter after pretty much every weekend trip or single day outing. At 50 bucks a pop its not worth it to me. I'm finding dirt on the clean side every time. I'm no slouch at wrenching and made sure to maintain this machine meticulously. The air box does not seal correctly (in my opinion and experience) and allows dirt past. Last weekend ended up with a plugged filter and we were out BY OURSELVES. Not behind any other rigs. Light dust on the clean side like every other timesee. A particle separator or pre filter isn't what is going to solve this issue and I'm not going to spend 500 bucks for something when it should have came with a foam oil filter from the factory.

Second ride quality on the X is sub par at best. I was really excited for this machine to come out and buy one but now I can't wait to sell it. I just dont see the long-term in this rig and see getting good mileage out of it before it needs a rebuild. If I'm the only please let me know, but overall pretty disappointed in my buy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
let me guess.... First off road machine?

Have you been replacing the gasket with the filter? Sounds like maybe the gasket is wrong or not sealing?

I would say just about %100 or Any sxs, dirt bike, or 4 wheeler ends up with a dirty filter when it is dusty. Yes a sxs is a little more then most. However there is no sxs on the market that has a dust proof filter design. I have seen rzr and the new tyrex with 40 miles in super dusty conditions just as bad if not worse then a talon in same condition. Ya a partical seperator is $. However it pays for itself pretty quick.

I am not picking on you. I am just saying there is no perfect sxs out there. if there was I am sure we all would have heard about it by now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Been dirtbike riding for over 20 years. I always changed the o rings on the box. My beef is why couldn't they do what yamaha did. That's how an air box for an off road rig should be. I'm not complaining its dirty. I'm complaining its not the right filter set up for an off road machine. Period. Dirtbikes have washable, foam, oiled filters.

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
62 Posts
How about throwing a uni inside as a pre filter? Cheaper then a partical separator and could be cleaned at a lower cost. I also have read about people putting a touch of grease on the air box gasket for better seal. Just some ideas is all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mine has not done this. i changed my first filter at 500 miles and it was clean on the intake side. now i have the jackson kit so the whole box was removed. id say you have somthing not right in there and i would do a deep dive to find it. or maybe have some one that is a mechanic look at it and he may see something that your missing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
if you put a snorkled oiled prefilter on (plus extra grease on o-ring on air box), you basically have what Yamaha has (I had a YXZ). I have 1,000 miles on my main filter and still very clean, but have washed prefilter couple times. Bob has multi thousand miles on his with prefilter (not particle separator ) That issue is reasonably fixed. Have an R so can't help with ride issues, but a search will cover that too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts