Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my talent back in 2019 September was in the shop right after Thanksgiving ride at Hatfield McCoy. Low gear was making horrible noises and was unable to move side-by-side. Took it to my local dealer took them one month to fix and they replaced my lower gear, telling me that Honda knows that there’s an issue but Honda is not making a recall for it but fixing it on the newer units. Well was out for a ride last week everything is shifting perfectly fine we were in low gear under 20 miles an hour and all of a sudden the unit stopped moving and all we heard was a grinding noise. Hi gear and reverse are working perfectly fine but I have noticed high gear in the fifth and sixth are sounding a little off over 35 miles an hour. I called Honda about the issue and they said that they know nothing about having issues with their low gear and that there are no recalls. They’re trying to put the blame on me by saying I’m not coming to a complete stop before shifting I come to a complete stop shift into neutral and then I shift into low or any other gear that I’m going into very happy with the unit except for their low gear they have fixed the problem on the newer units and no they have a problem but they’re not going to admit it. The mechanic at Honda also told me that the low gear only has three prongs on it and that it should have more in order to fix the problem properly we need a raise a fit to Honda to get a recall on these transmissions. It’s not right we spend this much money on something and it’s not working properly

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got mine back last Friday, I had similar problems with less than 200 miles.

In my opinion the shift gate its self is the issue. It is not designed correctly and makes it difficult to get into low at times.

Honda also denied my warranty claiming the same thing. They need to get this fixed or they will have a bad reputation quickly. Which is a shame, because the machine is excellent in almost every other aspect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got my talent back in 2019 September was in the shop right after Thanksgiving ride at Hatfield McCoy. Low gear was making horrible noises and was unable to move side-by-side. Took it to my local dealer took them one month to fix and they replaced my lower gear, telling me that Honda knows that there’s an issue but Honda is not making a recall for it but fixing it on the newer units. Well was out for a ride last week everything is shifting perfectly fine we were in low gear under 20 miles an hour and all of a sudden the unit stopped moving and all we heard was a grinding noise. Hi gear and reverse are working perfectly fine but I have noticed high gear in the fifth and sixth are sounding a little off over 35 miles an hour. I called Honda about the issue and they said that they know nothing about having issues with their low gear and that there are no recalls. They’re trying to put the blame on me by saying I’m not coming to a complete stop before shifting I come to a complete stop shift into neutral and then I shift into low or any other gear that I’m going into very happy with the unit except for their low gear they have fixed the problem on the newer units and no they have a problem but they’re not going to admit it. The mechanic at Honda also told me that the low gear only has three prongs on it and that it should have more in order to fix the problem properly we need a raise a fit to Honda to get a recall on these transmissions. It’s not right we spend this much money on something and it’s not working properly
I just got mine back last Friday, I had similar problems with less than 200 miles.

In my opinion the shift gate its self is the issue. It is not designed correctly and makes it difficult to get into low at times.

Honda also denied my warranty claiming the same thing. They need to get this fixed or they will have a bad reputation quickly. Which is a shame, because the machine is excellent in almost every other aspect.
I just dropped it off I will let you know what happens... we need to find all that this is happening too and take it to Honda

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just dropped it off I will let you know what happens... we need to find all that this is happening too and take it to Honda
I just called honda customer service line and told them my issues. She said that they weren't aware of the issue ?

Everyone needs to speak up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having similar problems with low range on my 2019 Talon R, at about 150 miles. Shifting from H to L (at a complete stop of course), the dash will sometimes display "--", indicating the unit is not in gear. Jiggle the shifter around a bit and it displays "L" after a few seconds, and the unit will move. So it did that for a while and then started a new problem, where even in "L", with the dash displaying "L", I push the gas to move and I hear that terrible clattering sound indicating the unit is not actually in gear. It seems to be getting progressively worse, now at ~200 miles on the unit. Based on comments here I'm reluctant to bring it to the dealer for a warranty claim, I don't want to be without the machine for weeks or months...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I first complained about the low transmission on December 28, 2019. Today is March 3 of 2020. I just got it out of the shop! After the run around from Honda and the dealer for over two months I just got it back. It IS a warranty problem, and don’t let them tell you otherwise! I got mine covered. The common excuse is we “Rednecks” don’t know how to put it in gear! I’ve driven heavy equipment and heavy trucks for 45 years. I damn well know how to drive a silly toy! Remember when Ford decided to pay the law suits on their exploding Pintos, rather than re-call them? (Young-uns look it up.). This is the same thing.....The service manager said Honda decided to fix the trannies as they come in, because it’s cheaper than a recall! Apparently future sales or customer loyalty is not factored in!
Good Luck

·
Registered
216 Posts
I first complained about the low transmission on December 28, 2019. Today is March 3 of 2020. I just got it out of the shop! After the run around from Honda and the dealer for over two months I just got it back. It IS a warranty problem, and don’t let them tell you otherwise! I got mine covered. The common excuse is we “Rednecks” don’t know how to put it in gear! I’ve driven heavy equipment and heavy trucks for 45 years. I damn well know how to drive a silly toy! Remember when Ford decided to pay the law suits on their exploding Pintos, rather than re-call them? (Young-uns look it up.). This is the same thing.....The service manager said Honda decided to fix the trannies as they come in, because it’s cheaper than a recall! Apparently future sales or customer loyalty is not factored in!
Good Luck
Which Talon do you have? I read your comment about the ride. What problems were you having with the sub trans before you took it in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
1000X.............1st time. Shifted at complete stop, drove about 100 ft and started climbing a hill. Halfway up the trans slipped and banged once, but stayed in gear to the top. Thought it was a fluke occurrence, but later in the day it did it a couple more times. Took it to dealer. Two weeks later picked it up. They said it didn’t do anything when they drove it around the parking lot, but said they adjusted something. Gave me a lecture on how to put it in gear! Two days later took it to the mountains and halfway up one it puked completely. Jumped out of gear with a bang, and would not go back in gear. Just ground and rattled. Fortunately still had high range, so I could drive it back to the pickup. Took it back to dealer and they jerked me around for another month and a half! I am taking it out to the mountains again on Tuesday next week. Will post again if I have problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My new problem that I’m having is I put 32 inch tires on I don’t know if that has anything to do with it but my brains are rubbing the shocks on the three out of the four they are pushing for some reason

·
Registered
54 Posts
but my brains are rubbing the shocks
I worried for you buddy :)

Joking aside, this can be caused if your springs are not "clocked" correctly. The end of the coil on the top of the main spring should be 180 out from the bottom of the tender spring.

Also, not sure if it is an optical illusion but in the pic. it looks like the bottom of the spring is not centered in the bottom perch. The whole spring looks pushed to the left of the pic. It kind of looks like the lower spring perch is not on correctly. The rear lower perches are "keyed" so they only go on one way.

Have you ever removed the springs?

·
Registered
54 Posts
FYI, they will never be perfectly centered and mine have rubbed on occasion (I see some minor scratch marks) but nothing like that. Your spring is WAY off center and by the pic it seems to be originating from the lower perch to me but that could just be the angle of the pic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at replacing my A arms with high clearance what are peoples thoughts on what to get and what ball joints to get

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also is anyone experiencing an issue when shifting into fifth and sixth gear and hearing a rattling noise but if you’re in four-wheel-drive there is no rattling noise

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking at replacing my A arms with high clearance what are peoples thoughts on what to get and what ball joints to get
I went with L&W Fab high clearance lower arms on my 1000R. They come with bushings and you wont need ball joints if just replacing the lower arms since the ball joints are in the spindle. They're heavy duty and give good additional ground clearance, they maintain the factory offset. The stock arms would have likely hit here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue on my 1000x. I shifted in low, went into a ravine, and it made a loud pop when I throttled on it to climb out and would no longer go in to low gear. Honda is warrantying it but tried to say I shifted it in to gear too fast. They have had my machine for 5 weeks now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts