Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
77 Posts
I helped a friend install the Honda/S&B particle separator kit. The S&B is Talon specific, and Honda recommends their switch panel kit to make it plug and play. Well, not exactly. As soon as you get started it is clear the instructions are written around using a sub-harness which is labeled as "optional" and not included. We proceeded with the install, and after making all the connections not pertaining to the "optional" sub-harness we found we had power to the relay behind the switch panel, but no means to energize the relay to activate the panel. I called S&B, and they politely said, "we only make it, and don't know anything about Honda's install". There is a lead coming from the switch panel that is supposed to plug into the "optional" sub-harness, and the "optional" sub harness plugs into a lead on the main harness which feeds the 12V accessory plug in the dash. We ran a jumper from that main lead to the plug on the panel lead, and found it activated the relay, and the S&B turned on via the supplied switch. Since there is no means supplied in the kit, we nipped the plug off the lead from the panel, and spliced into the keyed 12V feeding the accessory plug. Everything now works.

Bottom Line:
Honda charges a bit of a premium for the S&B, and an exorbitant amount for the switch panel, then has the gall to want another $50 plus dollars for an "optional" harness, which is not optional at all to be "plug and play". Highway robbery, IMHO. At the very least, they could have explained in the instructions that you'll have to supply keyed power via that lead, if you are not using the "optional" sub-harness. Rightfully, the "optional" sub-harness should be included with the panel, or the particle separator.

Hopefully this will save somebody some time and aggravation.
Installed KWT particle seperator yesterday along with R2C filter. View attachment 869
I have the exact same set-up on my Talon 4 Live Valve. The combo (KWT and the R2C) works super well !! No more $50 Honda filters, after going through 3 of them already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep in mind while trying to figure out a new location that you CAN mount it behind another object (like a rear window) as long as there is 2 inches of clearance in front of the S&B.
Has anyone installed the particle separator behind a rear windshield, and if so which rear windshield? I am looking into getting a rear windshield but want to make sure it will fit with the particle separator. Moving the separator to the top is a no go for us, as we barely fit in our toy hauler as it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same set-up on my Talon 4 Live Valve. The combo (KWT and the R2C) works super well !! No more $50 Honda filters, after going through 3 of them already.
How many miles/ hours on the KWT? I’ve had an S&B on two rigs but am considering the KWT. Does it seem to be effective?

·
Registered
2020 Honda 1000R Talon
17 Posts
Been pondering the same thing myself. How you like the results thus far?
Just wished that all these goodies didnt cost so fussin' much.
Works excellent very happy with it and no motor noise
How many miles/ hours on the KWT? I’ve had an S&B on two rigs but am considering the KWT. Does it seem to be effective?
im in Utah riding piute trail. Very dry and dusty this year. I have emptied the tray twice. R2C filter clean. That’s in 500 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Gprap,
I just completed my first 100 mile service inspection on my 2020 Talon 4 Live Valve and realized about 140 miles on it around Flagstaff and a new air filter I am going to look into a better system. I have heard good things about both the KWT and R2C. I f you wouldn’t mind sharing where did you buy yours and how did you install on you’re Talon? Any pics would be helpful.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an S&B installed Below are the Pictures after roughly 300 miles in a weekend. I would say..... The small amount of noise is a HUGE trade off to what would have been a completely plugged filter in one weekend!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Gprap,
I just completed my first 100 mile service inspection on my 2020 Talon 4 Live Valve and realized about 140 miles on it around Flagstaff and a new air filter I am going to look into a better system. I have heard good things about both the KWT and R2C. I f you wouldn’t mind sharing where did you buy yours and how did you install on you’re Talon? Any pics would be helpful.

Thanks,
So sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I did not see your reply until just now. I purchased mine directly from KWTfilters.com. I originally tested one for them here in the AZ desert for right around 1200 or so miles. I had the latest version, but a pre-production model that was made on a 3D printer. It worked wonders for me. Just recently, KWT went into production with this model, only now it is injection molded for strength and ease of mass production. I now have this one on my Talon and, as I stated, I also have the R2C air filter so that I will never have to buy another $50 Honda filter. The combination of the two is really good. I would strongly recommend the KWT because it is much less expensive than the Honda SBT unit, and uses no electricity or electric motors to go bad and make noise. It filters as good or better than the SBT and installs in right around 1 hour or less. I see no drawbacks to it at all. I have a rear windshield on my Talon, so I mounted the KWT on the rear, side downbar. I have complete vision out of the rear view mirror with no obstruction and have complete use of the bed area. I am attaching a few pics for you to see, as you requested. I hope this helps with your quest.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It is very effective. It works as well or better than the S&B without the electricity, switch, motor to go bad, or the noise. I am truly very satisfied with its performance, plus it is quite a bit less money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Gprap,

Thanks,
Sorry for the duplication, but the first one I wrote to you didn't seem to go through, now I can't delete either one. I got mine through KWT. I did a beta test for them. I tested their 2nd and current generation unit. They are in full production now and, as opposed to mine that was a 3D printed unit, they are now injection molded which is stronger and a little better finish. The results are the same and the unit looks the same. I now have the production unit. I strongly recommend the KWT because it works so well, uses no electricity, has no motor to go bad or make noise, and the installation takes only about 1 hour or less. I mounted mine on the rear side rail because I have a rear windshield and this keeps it out of the way and allows me to have a complete rear view with my mirror. I am attaching a few pics, as you requested. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an S&B installed Below are the Pictures after roughly 300 miles in a weekend. I would say..... The small amount of noise is a HUGE trade off to what would have been a completely plugged filter in one weekend! View attachment 1233 View attachment 1234
I have an S&B installed Below are the Pictures after roughly 300 miles in a weekend. I would say..... The small amount of noise is a HUGE trade off to what would have been a completely plugged filter in one weekend! View attachment 1233 View attachment 1234
Compared to your back seat, filter looks great. Thanks for the info and pics. Might have to spend the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for the duplication, but the first one I wrote to you didn't seem to go through, now I can't delete either one. I got mine through KWT. I did a beta test for them. I tested their 2nd and current generation unit. They are in full production now and, as opposed to mine that was a 3D printed unit, they are now injection molded which is stronger and a little better finish. The results are the same and the unit looks the same. I now have the production unit. I strongly recommend the KWT because it works so well, uses no electricity, has no motor to go bad or make noise, and the installation takes only about 1 hour or less. I mounted mine on the rear side rail because I have a rear windshield and this keeps it out of the way and allows me to have a complete rear view with my mirror. I am attaching a few pics, as you requested. I hope this helps. View attachment 1239 View attachment 1240 View attachment 1241 View attachment 1242
Thank you so much. It looks like a nice mount and clean unit. I will look into it.Thanks for the pics also.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts