Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the HMF Exhaust and curious on how loud it really is. I still want to be able to hear my radio, and passengers without having to yell to each other. We'll also have two kids with us, so worried it may be too loud for them.

I'd like to hear from current HMF Exhaust Owners to get their feedback, thank you!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Former owner here. I had the Titan (the alleged "quiet" one) and took it off after a couple rides and sold it. It was annoyingly loud. Also gets louder as the packing wears out and you have to repack them (almost all of them) every 100-200 hours because the just get louder and louder. Aftermarket mufflers are just not worth the money. They add little to no power and make a lot of noise.

If you are after more power, don't waste your money. If you are after better sound, get a slip on that is not packed with fiberglass (or whatever they put in them now days).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the slip on And it’s a little bit louder. You can get a quiet core for them to make them quieter. Even with the stock muff, you can’t hear the radio very well. Get a rugged radio system, then you can listen to music, talk to everyone in the car, use your phone, and text too

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies all, I simply wanted the talon to have a little bark that sounded good. I heard the stock exhaust through videos and it sounds like a lawnmower. I take delivery on the next week or two, assuming there's no delays.

Was trying to plan ahead and have everything ready before it arrives so I can toss my mods on it sooner than later.

Can you remove the baffle on the stock exhaust, give it a bit more bark without buying after market?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Don’t think so. If you can, it wouldn’t sound very good. That muffler is a catalytic type muffler to please the Californians. Another reason why Jackson racing tunes their turbo with a stock muffler. It’s the first time I have ever taken off a performance muffler and put the stock one back on to go faster. Still waiting for a PV3 tune for the turbo and HMF so I can take the stock muffler back off. Jackson‘s kit is faster than without a turbo, but they could crank it up a lot more.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon R
67 Posts
I vote stock exhaust a friend went with a after market and is kicking himself...
All he noticed was increased noise and minimal power if any increase.
Put that money into a spare tire and mount more cents than a loud exhaust

·
Registered
253 Posts
That’s why there’s choices. If there’s some hp increase and losing a lot of weight from the stock,catalytic muffler, it’s a win. If you like the stock boat anchor, keep,it! You may be saving the planet along with California. But it will cause cancer!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at the HMF Exhaust and curious on how loud it really is. I still want to be able to hear my radio, and passengers without having to yell to each other. We'll also have two kids with us, so worried it may be too loud for them.

I'd like to hear from current HMF Exhaust Owners to get their feedback, thank you!

Check out the Evolution Powersports exhaust for the Talon. You will love it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the full HMF exhaust on my 2019 and a DynoJet tune. Sounded good and comes straight out the back where the stock exhaust exhaust is behind the passenger. I didn't think it was too loud but not sure if performance was better. On my 2021 I just used the DynoJet tune on the stock exhaust, In both cases I get the occasional backfire when going down steep trails.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Usually the backfire is because of an exhaust leak. A lot of times at the head if you don’t use a new gasket, or don’t get it tightened up evenly

·
Registered
253 Posts
You never know now days with the clowns assembling these things. It would be worth putting a wrench on the head pipes. It’s either that or something in the mapping in the Dynojet. My 2019 never did it with just the dynojet though.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I love the HMF full performance exhaust, I have the louder versions and love them. They are the best sound and very distinctive. You have to run a tuner with them and pick up 11 HP according to HMF. After two years I would not trade them for anything ells. Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I too was happy with the slip on HMF until I turbocharged it and had to take it off because Jackson racing is keeping California happy by keeping the stock catalytic converter on it. I will be glad when someone develops a better tune for this turbo system!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I’m ver impatient and couldn’t wait for the others to come out with one. It’s definitely a quality kit. It is also a big improvement, but it should be even more for the cost they charge. PPEI says if you install a muffler on it, the boost goes too high for their mapping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts