Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested in a parking brake for their Talon, I just received and installed my Hillbilly Brake. Slick little piece of equipment that’s well engineered, well constructed and super easy to install with one bolt mounting. As simple as it is, it even came with great full color installation instructions. It’s also designed with a hole to install a padlock so you can lock the brakes on and prevent someone from rolling your Talon away.
It slays me that these $20k machines almost never come with a parking brake, but this Hillbilly Brake is a nice solution to the problem. At $72 it’s not inexpensive, but at least it’s a quality product.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really good question. Did I hear somewhere that the new Kawasaki comes with a parking brake?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just installed the HillBilly! Awesome reference, thanks so much! Took 2 seconds to install! This thing is far better than a parking break because a parking break requires a second brake system, say like the YXZ has, which has proven to not be very strong.
HillBilly.jpg

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
For anyone interested in a parking brake for their Talon, I just received and installed my Hillbilly Brake. Slick little piece of equipment that’s well engineered, well constructed and super easy to install with one bolt mounting. As simple as it is, it even came with great full color installation instructions. It’s also designed with a hole to install a padlock so you can lock the brakes on and prevent someone from rolling your Talon away.
It slays me that these $20k machines almost never come with a parking brake, but this Hillbilly Brake is a nice solution to the problem. At $72 it’s not inexpensive, but at least it’s a quality product.
Thanks Ezgoing, mine is now on the way. Your post convinced me to try it out, I truly like the ability to lock the brake -- hope I do not break down and have to walk back to the truck or hitch a ride but if I do the ability to lock the brake is a definite plus.

Teri did an excellent install and evaluation video link: https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...f3e37322e19e2ddc6140d202988b10bb&action=click. He also did an install and evaluation of the Bandit tender (upper springs) that is a must have for Talon 1000x owners.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I hadn’t really thought about the ability to lock the brakes incase of a mechanical issue in the back country, but that is another positive. Very simple design and install.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have been waiting for Daryl at springbrakethingy (makes then for RZR, Wildcats, CaAms) to come out with one for the Talon, but he said he's still weeks away for having one. Since you guys have and like this one I'll give it a try.

The thing he makes that works on any SXS is an ignition interrupt that you can activate with a key fob. Gives you peace of mind if you hike away from your machine or park where you can't see it.

Click here:

That and the brake lock as well as having a parking brake, complete the package

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I have been waiting for Daryl at springbrakethingy (makes then for RZR, Wildcats, CaAms) to come out with one for the Talon, but he said he's still weeks away for having one. Since you guys have and like this one I'll give it a try.

The thing he makes that works on any SXS is an ignition interrupt that you can activate with a key fob. Gives you peace of mind if you hike away from your machine or park where you can't see it.

Click here:

Looks like another good product hope he produces the Talon version soon, it adds another layer of security and I like the key fob for ease of use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Ezgoing, mine is now on the way. Your post convinced me to try it out, I truly like the ability to lock the brake -- hope I do not break down and have to walk back to the truck or hitch a ride but if I do the ability to lock the brake is a definite plus.

Teri did an excellent install and evaluation video link: He also did an install and evaluation of the Bandit tender (upper springs) that is a must have for Talon 1000x owners.
Thanks for the kind words and sharing the link. I very much enjoy doing the videos!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m absolutely going to get one. I’m not comfortable with just having it in park on a hill and exiting the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just installed a Hillbilly break on my new Honda talon 1000x-4 fox . Can't seem to push the brake peddle down far enough to engage it. might have to put a washer behind the plate. Weather to cold 6 degrees to work on it right now. Will work on it in warmer weather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is an adjustment you can make on the back of the brake pedal that can reduce the force it takes to set the Hillbilly brake. Just loosen a nut and turn a screw/bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my hillbilly break to work well. I did not want to adjust the break on my new Talon so i put 2 flat washers between the plate on the hillbilly and the thread hole on the talon. Had to use a little longer bolt but it works great.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
After using the brake for quite a time I must say I would be lost with out it. I lock mine down every I put it on the trailer, not on the angle Tim setup is. It adds another layer of stability and security when hauling it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The only caution I will share is, get in the habit of pressing your brakes when you start or shift into gear. I put the the hillbilly brake on for I don't know why, when I was parked pretty much level and forgot. We were climbing so I started out in low. It seem to be not performing well and then after a bit I smelled the brakes, my buddy behind radioed to,me he smelled something. I thought oh crap and sure enough I had driven with it engaged. The low gear really has some power to operate with the hillbilly brake on. Went to stop and bad brake fade. I had glazed the pads. Well $275 later new pads and a lesson learned...an expensive one?? oh yeah, those Honda pads are not cheap☹

·
Registered
8 Posts

Click here:

Springbrakethingy finally has the parking brake available for the Talon but it does not have a locking feature available like some other models. I've had one for a couple of weeks and it's super simple to install and use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts