Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have people done to mitigate the heat in the Passenger compartment?
I remember someone posted somewhere that they used a shifter boot up-side down beneath the shifter knob to cut the heat entering the cab?
Does anyone remember anything pertaining to this?
also thought about insulating the radiator lines below the center console.
Anyway just curious as to what people are doing as summer approaches.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
45 Posts
What have people done to mitigate the heat in the Passenger compartment?
I remember someone posted somewhere that they used a shifter boot up-side down beneath the shifter knob to cut the heat entering the cab?
Does anyone remember anything pertaining to this?
also thought about insulating the radiator lines below the center console.
Anyway just curious as to what people are doing as summer approaches.
This is one I want to follow for ideas also. The radiator blows a lot of hot air back in to the passenger compartment also. When the fan kicks on, one can certainly feel the difference. I'd love to be able to somehow boot the shifter (I've said this from day one when I received my Talon) to not only help with heat, but to help keep dust out of the cab, as well !!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is one I want to follow for ideas also. The radiator blows a lot of hot air back in to the passenger compartment also. When the fan kicks on, one can certainly feel the difference. I'd love to be able to somehow boot the shifter (I've said this from day one when I received my Talon) to not only help with heat, but to help keep dust out of the cab, as well !!
So I saw a guy made a under the hood side to side insulated cover (full length) I thought was a good idea. I think I will make one, the full length rubber one was easy to make.
the boot on the shifter, someone put it on the underside and said it worked, I just can’t remember where I read about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I saw a guy made a under the hood side to side insulated cover (full length) I thought was a good idea. I think I will make one, the full length rubber one was easy to make.
the boot on the shifter, someone put it on the underside and said it worked, I just can’t remember where I read about it.
River, I made a full under the hood cover just after I purchased my Talon. Funny, I made it out of black diamond plate vinyl that I bought from HD, and shortly afterwards, I saw one for sale just like what I did. Only, I made it longer from top to bottom and covered more area than the stock one. It does some good in just keeping out some of the dust. I can't say anything about heat because I still feel it from the radiator and the fan when it comes on. I don't know why Honda didn't make one that goes all across and down lower.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I made the same thing. A little longer and full coverage. But a guy made one the same but out of that thin insulated silver stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowe’s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I the same with the black rubber from HD under the hood on the passenger side and down in the the tunnel. I put the same black rubber under and behind both seats to block holes. I put insulation under the console around the drink holders. I put insulation under the console around the shifter housing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I the same with the black rubber from HD under the hood on the passenger side and down in the the tunnel. I put the same black rubber under and behind both seats to block holes. I put insulation under the console around the drink holders. I put insulation under the console around the shifter housing.
If possible, it would be nice to see pics of what you did. I’m sure many, besides me, would be interested in seeing them. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I also plan on taking out the center console and insulating as much as I can.
can you tell us what the difference was after you did it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thinking that there is a significant negative pressure in the cabin when moving forward that sucks hot air / dust from under the hood, through the many large openings around pedals etc. Seems to me that all the openings would need to be closed in order to minimize the hot air on the legs. Was nice to have the heat in the winter months here in Moab, but as we are getting into the 90s (and above soon), the heat detracts from the enjoyment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Marty, Not to hijack the thread, but what are you hearing locally on when they may allow outsiders back into Moab? From what I am reading that county is closed to people except locals?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a SuperATV split front windshield and a full rear window. With the windshield closed I was getting a lot of air pulled in around the shifter and around the seat. With the windshield open to any position I did not get hot air coming in around the shifter or from around the seats. Since I ride in dusty areas I keep the windshield closed a lot. The insulation around the shifter keeps hot air from coming up around the shifter, Covering the holes behind around the seats with rubber, duct tape, insulation, etc keeps the hot air from being sucked in around and behind the seats. The back of the seat stays cooler. I will try to remember to take pictures next time I take the console out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
for the center console, I filled it with spray in foam in the area of the cup holders.
I was only able to fill to the bottom of the cup holders, but put a layer of heat shield material over the bottom of the exposed cup holders and all the foam.
Worked like a charm...
I had done this on my prior UTV's , all my ridding buddies do it also..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel the problem with the console lies with the hole where the shifter is. I can feel a tremendous amount of forced air heat flow coming from there. It also blows a lot of dust up through there with it. I would love to be able to somehow close it off, but can’t seem to come up with a practical solution of how to do it. Any ideas? I really like my Live Valve 1000 4 much better than the RZR 1000 4 that I traded it for, but the Honda’s body is like a sieve compared to the Polaris. Heat and dust comes in from everywhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have not done any research on the Talon yet, but on the older YXZ, when fan came on is when the heat leaped out of the shift, not much when fan way off. Redirecting that air flow made a huge difference. Then I moved the Radiator to rear like 2019 and wife bitched car was cold all of a sudden (plus lost half the storage). No pleasing them LOL

·
Registered
216 Posts
I feel the problem with the console lies with the hole where the shifter is. I can feel a tremendous amount of forced air heat flow coming from there. It also blows a lot of dust up through there with it. I would love to be able to somehow close it off, but can’t seem to come up with a practical solution of how to do it. Any ideas? I really like my Live Valve 1000 4 much better than the RZR 1000 4 that I traded it for, but the Honda’s body is like a sieve compared to the Polaris. Heat and dust comes in from everywhere.
I have solved the dust coming in problem with the Aegis air spoiler, that changed the air flow so it doesn't billow in from the back. The heat problem I am really interested to see what you guys come up with.

Here is my review of the aegis:

·
Registered
216 Posts
for the center console, I filled it with spray in foam in the area of the cup holders.
I was only able to fill to the bottom of the cup holders, but put a layer of heat shield material over the bottom of the exposed cup holders and all the foam.
Worked like a charm...
I had done this on my prior UTV's , all my ridding buddies do it also..
Where did you get the heat shield material? Do you have any photos ? Did you put it over the radiator lines that run up the middle? Thanks I know a bunch of questions 😎

·
Registered
216 Posts
so here is what I did. It helped a little, but air is still coming in near the pedals and gear shift. On the positive, this will keep water and mud out of my electronics and radio.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am sure the airfoil works, but I have enough stuff hanging on in the rear of the Talon, so I don’t want to ad another large item. Plus it is quite pricey and something more to get caught on overhead branches. I also go under freeway bridges near my home to get to the other side of I-40 so I can get to some good riding areas and there is very little overhead clearance as it is. So, this would not work for me. I really need to figure out how to seal the shifter area as that will mean more to me when it comes to defeating dust and heat. I have a rear wind shield on mine that helps prevent the back swirl of the dust entering the cab. I’ll figure something out. I am working out the logistics of couple of ideas that I think will work well. If one works and comes to fruition, I’ll post it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am sure the airfoil works, but I have enough stuff hanging on in the rear of the Talon, so I don’t want to ad another large item. Plus it is quite pricey and something more to get caught on overhead branches. I also go under freeway bridges near my home to get to the other side of I-40 so I can get to some good riding areas and there is very little overhead clearance as it is. So, this would not work for me. I really need to figure out how to seal the shifter area as that will mean more to me when it comes to defeating dust and heat. I have a rear wind shield on mine that helps prevent the back swirl of the dust entering the cab. I’ll figure something out. I am working out the logistics of couple of ideas that I think will work well. If one works and comes to fruition, I’ll post it.
Check this out, guy on Facebook talon adventures posted. I saw someone in the forum make something like this and said they work great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check this out, guy on Facebook talon adventures posted. I saw someone in the forum make something like this and said they work great.

Definitely something to look into. They’re not very hard to make, if one has the room to mount them, with windshield and mirror mounts already in place. I have a big sheet of 1/4” lexan to cut them out of.
View attachment 801

1 - 20 of 33 Posts