Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this was an amazing trip. If you have never been...and we hadn't... it is just a fantastic trail system. Or should I say Systems. We encountered 3 of these systems, and only partial of 2 systems really. Stayed at Hillbilly Heaven Campgrounds (everyone had a cabin).
I'm certain that we will be returning in May of 2023.
We meet with other folks there and had 9 vehicles together. That created a very entertaining ride. Hated to leave, but I like living indoors and eating...so, back to work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, this was an amazing trip. If you have never been...and we hadn't... it is just a fantastic trail system. Or should I say Systems. We encountered 3 of these systems, and only partial of 2 systems really. Stayed at Hillbilly Heaven Campgrounds (everyone had a cabin).
We meet with other folks there and had 9 vehicles together. That created a very entertaining ride. Hated to leave, but I like living indoors and eating...so, back to work.

Small World, I live about 5 miles from where you stayed. The trails here are amazing. These trails I grew up on riding dirt bikes and atv's. Even better than the Hatfield McCoy trails are the outlaw trails. Free riding and no rules. Glad you had a great time.

·
Registered
2021 Halon 1000x-4 Fox Live Valve
29 Posts
Nice videos of your awesome trip. Where are you guys from? We were up there about a month ago. Stayed in the Local Goat cabins in Delbarton. Met friends from Wisconsin there. We had a blast. This was our first real trail riding venture, and it will be hard to top. Our friends are old pros at this sort of thing, and it was nice to have them run lead and navigate. I'm sure we'll make this a regular destination. We rode on Mon, got rained out on Tues, rode Wed & Thurs. Hardly any traffic on Monday & Wednesday, but started to get more populated by Thurs. Great experience.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice videos of your awesome trip. Where are you guys from? We were up there about a month ago. Stayed in the Local Goat cabins in Delbarton. Met friends from Wisconsin there. We had a blast. This was our first real trail riding venture, and it will be hard to top. Our friends are old pros at this sort of thing, and it was nice to have them run lead and navigate. I'm sure we'll make this a regular destination. We rode on Mon, got rained out on Tues, rode Wed & Thurs. Hardly any traffic on Monday & Wednesday, but started to get more populated by Thurs. Great experience.
We are out of Florida, home of flat sandy trails, with the occasional mud hole. Ocala National Forest.
We are looking at Local Goat as an option for May 2023. Question if you don't mind. We will have 6 people in a cabin with one bathroom. Was hot water an issue?

·
Registered
29 Posts
We are out of Florida, home of flat sandy trails, with the occasional mud hole. Ocala National Forest.
We are looking at Local Goat as an option for May 2023. Question if you don't mind. We will have 6 people in a cabin with one bathroom. Was hot water an issue?
We had 4 and the hot water wasn't an issue. The cabins are really nice but the one bathroom thing is a head scratcher. As far as the location it was great. I'd stay there again for sure.
We live in Jacksonville. The only other time we had out Talon on the trail before H&M was in Ocala off of 19 by Rodman. Maybe we can ride together sometime. It's me, the wife, & our Jack Russel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Orux Or Back Country Navigator on a decent Android tablet with free BobT maps.

No need for guide. Bob has spent thousands of hours over last 10+ years making the maps and updating. He does it for free and is a great asset. Very simple to use - directions are in his files.

I use Orux. Very easy and works perfect on my
Samsung and Lenovo tablets. I’ve probably used the maps for 15,000 miles + of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We had 4 and the hot water wasn't an issue. The cabins are really nice but the one bathroom thing is a head scratcher. As far as the location it was great. I'd stay there again for sure.
We live in Jacksonville. The only other time we had out Talon on the trail before H&M was in Ocala off of 19 by Rodman. Maybe we can ride together sometime. It's me, the wife, & our Jack Russel.
That would be great. We'd have to leave really early to meet you at Rodman...it's almost a 35 minute drive for us. lol.

Another good trailhead is 316 Trailhead. I'll link it. Paved parking lot. 316 OHV Trailhead · Fort McCoy, FL 32134

·
Registered
19 Posts

Small World, I live about 5 miles from where you stayed. The trails here are amazing. These trails I grew up on riding dirt bikes and atv's. Even better than the Hatfield McCoy trails are the outlaw trails. Free riding and no rules. Glad you had a great time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
O/C, we got a wild hair Saturday PM & went to the trailhead you gave the link to. We got there around 3 & there was only one other rig in the parking lot. Rode for about 3 hours. Saw a handful of other folks, and another Talon, but not crowded at all. Wifey drove the whole way since she didn't drive any W. Va. Had a great time. Next time, when we plan ahead (not our strong suit) I'll hit you up and see if you guys are interested in meeting up. We live on the south end of Duval County so it's about 1-1/2 hours for us.
That would be great. We'd have to leave really early to meet you at Rodman...it's almost a 35 minute drive for us. lol.

Another good trailhead is 316 Trailhead. I'll link it. Paved parking lot. 316 OHV Trailhead · Fort McCoy, FL 32134

·
Registered
38 Posts
For me H&F was disappointing. Felt like no matter where you went it was the same as wherever you came from.

That is just written as a consideration, lots of folks love the place and that is great. It is cool to be able to 4 wheel to the gas station or restaurant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gotta ride the outlaw trails around the H&M trails. I ride WV and maybe 20% at most is H&M. There’s 10 miles of outlaw for every mile of H&M.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cracking down on outlaw riding. That’s hilarious. That’s 90% of trails in WV and HM officers have no say there.

The cracking down comment is only applicable if they wait for a rider to enter HM trails somewhere other than trailhead.

Zero chance of any crackdown.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts