Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a new R. Can possibly pick one up tomorrow but I’m in love with the colors of the live valve! Other then the color tho is it worth the extra money. I’m in east tn so mostly be used mountains an old gas an oil roads. Never had sxs always a Honda man just been waiting finally going make the plunge.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000R
39 Posts
Looking to buy a new R. Can possibly pick one up tomorrow but I’m in love with the colors of the live valve! Other then the color tho is it worth the extra money. I’m in east tn so mostly be used mountains an old gas an oil roads. Never had sxs always a Honda man just been waiting finally going make the plunge.
I live in TN too. I personally didn’t want the live valve. More electronics to go wrong. Plus you could spend the same amount of money and have the fox podiums revalved and resprung for the same difference as the price of the live valve. There’s a guy in east TN that does it. Can’t think of the shop name but he’s got some excellent reviews. I ride at brimstone, royal blue, and the other TWRA lands. My R seems to do just fine. So I don’t think it’s worth it. But hey. Do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000R
39 Posts
I also didn’t necessarily want the white R so I bought the 2020 Green one. And I love it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the white just like the blue better. As far as changing or revamping the shocks I don’t think I’d do any that which ever model I go with. I also ride brimstone I’m from there have a place there so it be same kind of riding.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have an X4LV. If I had a chance to do it all over I think I would have saved the money and spent it on having the non live valve shocks reworked. In my opinion, I don't think the live valve does all that much and for very rocky slow to mid speed riding I think the ride is rather harsh.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I may go live valve just for the color still. I’m sure going from Honda foreman all my life to either model will be awesome an good enough for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may go live valve just for the color still. I’m sure going from Honda foreman all my life to either model will be awesome an good enough for me.
I and getting ready to make the same plunge going from foreman to the Talon R I am choosing the R because I am not a fan of the blue and white but do like the gray

·
Registered
170 Posts
I liked the color of the 2020 X4 better than the X4LV but thought the X4LV was what I needed so I bought it. Now I realize that the X4LV isn't what I needed. But the ugly orange and gray is finally starting to grow on me. Man, first world problems. We have it tough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We got it rough alright trying to find one rite now. Im just not sure about the live valve tho. I don’t want any extra problems. Sure can’t wait to get one tho

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yehtheifinally a huge potential for extra problems although ours has been bulletproof so far. I just don't think the LV does all that much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess the extended warranty is worth it. Anyone had any problems then trying not to hold up to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got home from tenn. stayed 7 days at lygia’s off 116.
I broke in my 21 X. Gatta say, I’m going to have to do some suspension work.
took trail 50 to the flats and it was miserable. There is no way LV can adjust for that.
went to softest setting on the shocks and dropped psi to 8 on the tensor 32’s which helped alot but still need more dampening.
I ended up on brimstone mountain and Cumberland mtn climbing #26,27 and a few other forgotten trails it was a blast and could get away from the rocks. Stock suspension did great, I4 wheel drive had positive pull to it up some hairy shit where there was no stopping, you pick your line and commit.
manual paddle shifting was the end result and the engine braking is awesome.
Kinda think I might have liked the R more for more travel but the X was impressive.
shock mods and shifter cable adjustments and I’m going back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the reply. For east to ridding I don’t see it making a lot of difference maybe out west or somewhere at high speeds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like going to be a live valve. Should be in first week of August! Lot choices to make sound bars lights bumpers I see it’s a endless toy now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts