Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 2021 talon 1000x 4 Live valve, while I love it there's not enough ground clearance for the trails I ride. I bottom out on an average of 5-6x per ride. We ride mostly heavy woods with tight trails and deep ruts. My undercarriage shows lots of damage from bottoming out.

What's the cheapest or most efficient way of gaining ground clearance? New tires? New A arms? New shocks?

If tires, I have no idea what I can run safely on a four seater without rubbing. I rode with a couple guys today that had 31s and 32s on their two-seater talons. Not sure if I want a big 32, I fear I'll lose a ton of power.

I'd like to retain the stock wheels if possible to keep cost down. I've already dumped about $3k into it and only owned it for about month or two now.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

· Registered
185 Posts
I added 32" Rockabillys on 14" 5+2 Raceline Mambas. I also replaced the lower a arms and radius rods with L&Ws high clearance versions. The honda radius rods are extremely prone to bending even with a light bump from a rock or stump. In my opinion the talon looks nice with 32s. Mine measure about 31.5" on the machine and the front right tire has rubbed a couple of times in the last 800 miles.

Attachments

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added 32" Rockabillys on 14" 5+2 Raceline Mambas. I also replaced the lower a arms and radius rods with L&Ws high clearance versions. The honda radius rods are extremely prone to bending even with a light bump from a rock or stump. In my opinion the talon looks nice with 32s. Mine measure about 31.5" on the machine and the front right tire has rubbed a couple of times in the last 800 miles.
Thanks for the reply, so you changed the wheels too? You went smaller wheels yet bigger tires, can you tell me why you went with a smaller wheel? Was this to reduce chances of rubbing or are there other benefits?

I'll have to look at the arms too, I ride some rough trails and some at sharp angles. I worry about center of gravity too, as I don't want an easy rollover.

· Registered
185 Posts
I don't think there are any real benefits of the 14" wheel. I bought my Talon new last summer and the dealer had these wheels with 30s on the machine so I didn't choose 14s. But, there does seem to be a larger selection of 14" tires currently available than 15". I assume the industry will probably start moving to 15s though.

· Registered
3 Posts
How tall is your rig with those tires? I only have about 80” to get into my shed. Thanks

· Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
190 Posts
Are you running anything besides the stock skid plate? In my younger days of ATV's and trials bikes, we ran a good skid and often deliberately dragged it over obstacles. It was part of our riding style.

I am running the Honda aftermarket skids (side and under), a-arm, and trailing arm guards, and so far they are fine. The HMWPE composition, is well suited for this. My only complaint is that the bolts on the side skid are kind of exposed. Sheared a couple off already. There are lots of aftermarket skids out there as well.

· Registered
185 Posts
So far I haven't upgraded from the stock plastic ones. Eventually I'd like an aluminum skid plate on the frame. I don't think I'll do them on the A Arms, they seem to hold so much mud and debris. And yes, in my dirtbike days I did the same thing for the same reason. It always helped skid over logs and cutbanks at creek crossings.

· Registered
384 Posts
Hi all, I have pulled many aluminum skids off rzr’s, etc. to work on whatever and many could not go back on and we spent more time beating and banging to get to fit back into shape to put on - i have always run the uhmw skids on atv’s and sxs’s and never bent or gouged the frame with the uhmw skids except on a arms - any thoughts ?

· Super Moderator
342 Posts
1/2" UHMW skids over aluminum...for sure. Definitely the best option, and right at the top of the list of necessities if you're rock crawling and bottoming out often. Forward A-arms and bigger tires will also give you more ground clearance without sacrificing your ride.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
1/2" UHMW skids over aluminum...for sure. Definitely the best option, and right at the top of the list of necessities if you're rock crawling and bottoming out often. Forward A-arms and bigger tires will also give you more ground clearance without sacrificing your ride.
I may have to get me some better protection! Just looked them up, they're about $1800, man it's easy to drop 5-6k on these in a week .

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many of you have damaged the under components of your car while running stock skid plates?
That's a great question, I'd like to see what people have to say. I know I have 140 miles on mine and per last inspection I had a lot of damage to the skid plates. The one head of the bolt was smashed up pretty good too.

· Super Moderator
342 Posts
How many of you have damaged the under components of your car while running stock skid plates?

Doesn't take much. Not in a Talon yet. Haven't done any crazy crawling with it yet. BUT...just about all the others. I've smashed the frame bracing up into the transmission on a couple RZR's.

· Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
45 Posts

Doesn't take much. Not in a Talon yet. Haven't done any crazy crawling with it yet. BUT...just about all the others. I've smashed the frame bracing up into the transmission on a couple RZR's.
On the other forum a guy just damaged his frame and front diif going over a rock at ~28mph. I'm not sure that skid plates would have helped him in this case. 2000 Lb's hitting an object at 28 Mph will damage most things.

· Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
178 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 2021 talon 1000x 4 Live valve, while I love it there's not enough ground clearance for the trails I ride. I bottom out on an average of 5-6x per ride. We ride mostly heavy woods with tight trails and deep ruts. My undercarriage shows lots of damage from bottoming out.

What's the cheapest or most efficient way of gaining ground clearance? New tires? New A arms? New shocks?

If tires, I have no idea what I can run safely on a four seater without rubbing. I rode with a couple guys today that had 31s and 32s on their two-seater talons. Not sure if I want a big 32, I fear I'll lose a ton of power.

I'd like to retain the stock wheels if possible to keep cost down. I've already dumped about $3k into it and only owned it for about month or two now.

Thanks in advance!

I have a '20 Honda Talon 1000 4 LV, just like yours, only a year older. I have put 32" tires on mine and, quite frankly they rub in a lock to lock turn. It was too annoying for me, and replaced my A Arms with Super Atv high clearance ones that moved my tires 1 and 1/2" forward. This gave me plenty of clearance in any tight turning situation. If you don't want to go with 32's, then 30's will be just fine with stock tires and they will not rub. You will be gaining about 1" more ground clearance by doing so. If you are bottoming out, you probably need to look into having your shocks reworked and resprung. I did so with Shock Therapy and the difference is monumental, in both ride and ground clearance. I gained 1" to 1 1/2" ground clearance by doing this, and no bottoming out, unless in radically rough terrain while going faster than I should be going. I do have aftermarket wheels on my Talon, but as I stated earlier, you can run 30's all day and not rub. I hope this helps. Good luck and Happy Trails !!

· Registered
24 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

I put 32's on my stock wheels and it's fine. As mentioned by someone else, I did decide to get the super atv front control arms though as I want to be able to run chains in snow if needed so needed the additional clearance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.