Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using a GPS? Which one, likes/dislikes? Which mapping program/files are you using?
I'm looking at "Backwoods GPS Trail Maps" for the Hatfield & McCoy trails in WVa.
I want a stand alone GPS unit that does not rely on a data plan (cell coverage).
Thanks for any and all responses............Rick

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anybody using a GPS? Which one, likes/dislikes? Which mapping program/files are you using?
I'm looking at "Backwoods GPS Trail Maps" for the Hatfield & McCoy trails in WVa.
I want a stand alone GPS unit that does not rely on a data plan (cell coverage).
Thanks for any and all responses............Rick
Look no further than a used or new iPhone, or iPad with GPS. Smokes GPS accuracy for the cost! The Iphone does NOT require cellular to use GPS and is extremely accurate and mobile. It can be run powered or on battery for days. I have tried GPS physical units like Garmin and found they are not as accurate unless you are willing to spend over $800. I use a program, called GAIA. See link below. I’m sure there are better programs

We have been in some very remote areas in Moab, southern Utah, NV and many times used my old iPhone 7 because the Polaris nav or Garmin machines were not accurate enough to see trees, and bushes. We lost the trail due to rain washouts, dunes or slick rock and the Iphone is so accurate we can see within a few feet and see the actual trees, bushes or rocks, we needed to find the trail. Problem with that is, we end up leading a lot on new stuff.

Plus, if you have a stereo or headsets you have music, a good camera, unless the iPhone 11 pro which has an amazing camera(s).

I use and old iPhone 7 Plus. That’s been in mud, dust, dropped off a cliff, and works perfect. It gets about 12 hours on just running GPS only, or about 8 hours playing music and GPS the entire time. This blows me away, because when it was my phone, it barely lasted 6 hours a day on a charge so it must be the cellular that eats batteries. If you do a hike it can overlay, over our talon trip map. Very cool.

The steps are super simple.

1) download the app
2) turn off cellular if it has any and Plan your trip.
3) Sync your data, down load maps while on wifi of the areas before your trip, or download super high resolution maps (possibly cost depending on app) This is as easy as sending a text to your iPhone you plan to use.
4) start record or track/trace or follow a route.

From tossing away money, and everyone always asking us for map directions on trips, I will now avoid medium cost GPS units like Garmin versus an iPhone/GPS-iPad because a GPS unit :

1) Is not as Accurate,
2) Does not have a good camera or video in your pocket ability
3) Requires install and hardware
4) Can NOT fly drones, like say a Dji Mavic series for example
5) Requires extra cost per download specifics versus general map range.
6) Does not have Apple quality resolution on the screen
7) Mobility does not match an iPhone in your pocket
8) Other GPS devices can not add other app applications like star tracking, time lapse photography, remote wireless music (say if you bring a home pod for music at lunch),
9) Does not have the ability to Airdrop and share content with others on the fly
10) Mobile GPS apps on the iPhone have far more input from dirt bikers, hikers and stuff if you cross paths to other things than what a midline GPS device has.
11) Does not have Apple's smart OS versus clunky GPS menus

I uses this Gaia app because it was super cheap, but I generally download the high res maps. The menus are not perfect, but compared to fussing with a Garmin it’s very nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had a Montana 600 on my sportsman 500 for years. Swapped it over once I got my Talon. It has a secure base that powers it and charges it, plus you can take it off any time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don’t believe so. It does show property owners names, but not sure of the OnX hunt. It shows roads that are no longer roads As well as current roads.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, and sometimes trails that never were there? Still it's the best I have found so far. I have Gaia, but it doesn't show most of the trails. Have you tried something else?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i try to get fire road maps because they show everything, but our government agencies don’t want to give them out anymore. My father-in -law use to work for a timber company and was able to get some, but not anymore. Those maps are like gold! Especially in Oregon where everything grows over so fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts